Compare your cd playback to vinyl and post here. Please participate!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JazzPolice, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

A little EQ, some distortion and some widening of the sound stage through the phase changes of an average Cart playing a record can indeed be quite pleasing and on some systems it will compliment, rather than degrade the sound.
    So I will agree to some point for sure!

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Gotta say, this turned out to be an informative and interesting thread at the very least.

3. Leonthepro

This I find is the hypocrisy of a lot of "audiophiles". Although its hard to tell what exactly the artist intended for the original sound.

4. Leonthepro

Unless its cut in half speed.

5. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I thought my analog system sounded very real and lifelike, but I guess I was wrong. All this time I was hearing colorations, distortions and phase anomalies, so it can't sound real then. How can I go on listening now knowing this?

Kyhl likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Dont worry, its all a dream, now begone, and never enter this forum again my good sir! Ignorance is bliss.

7. Higlander

I will bite......
    The real question, is how were you not aware of any of this, if you are "into" vinyl?:winkgrin:

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

Most of the distortion isn´t easily heard. Firstly it´s about changing frequency response partly, secondly it´s mostly about 2:nd harmonics that is also not so easy to hear, and also much harmonics will be above what freq range we normally hear.
    The most troublesome will be low bass, a cartridge at the end of a stick isn´t that good for bass. Knowing limitations doesn´t mean we can´t enjoy vinyl, I really do.
    And as I wrote previously, I don´t compare much with other media.

9. Higlander

Agree.
    I think the most prominent change though, is the crosstalk and phase changes. They tend to give more "depth" or a wider sound stage.

10. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes, phase anomalies can sometimes be heard as a slightly wider soundstage. I don´t think many sees this as a problem. This is a complex matter.

11. Higlander

I think the end result is honestly a pleasant sound, that is if anything slightly enhanced by the additive effects of these mostly minor changes!

12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Didn't follow the procedure as directed in this thread but last night, vinyl won (fairly handily) the small battle I set up for the two combatants. For me it's rare to have digital win out, takes a special/odd CD to do it. Tip received recently to acquire and fire up some Chet Atkins was as great idea!

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

He who enjoys what he hears wins. No dilemma necessary.

14. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Oh I've heard it all before, I was just kidding by playing it straight.:D

Yes, I must strive to ignore my own lying ears and accept the truth that a less realistic sound is actually more accurate.

Higlander likes this.
  15. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Trust your own ears as to what sounds best.Although your eyes (in the form of the look and the motion of the equipment) and pre-conceived assumptions also might play a part.
    As long as we don't confuse most pleasing with most accurate or most transparent.For me the more you spend on a turntable/arm/cart, the more it sounds like a CD player.Make of that what you will.The reason those with money to burn tend to head towards the pleasant distortion of tubes once they have removed that pleasant distortion from their front-end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.