The Shape of Water - Guillermo del Toro

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This isn't playing locally. Is it in limited release right now?

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Very limited - only 41 screens.

Aggie87 likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

from all i've read, could be a very entertaining film.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A film that's so well made it affects you emotionally is a good thing.

5. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

This is not a particularly haunting film. It is emotional in unexpected ways. I hesitate to characterize it as romance, but the romance aspect is crucial to the plot. This is a love letter to childhood when the true nobility of a 'monster' like the Creature from the Black Lagoon was clear to the eye and thus directly to the heart. I saw it at Arclight Cinema in Chicago and was treated to the post-feature interview with Del Toro. He admits to having seen the CftBL as a six year old and wishing the Gill Man and Julie Adams could be together.

I was drawn in to a movie that loves movies. The very opening was reminiscent of The Tingler. The similarity in setting/character was obvious. Little moments like that were what this movie was made of. There was satire and melodrama that suddenly becomes drama like a 1950's sci fi film turned inside out. I mean that more literally than figuratively.

Anyone who has a true love of old B-movies, cartoons, and musicals will be very engaged - all the while treated to a diverse set of characters. Bravo!

6. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I just saw it as well. Del Toro designs a very intriguing world of green. It was a fun place to inhabit. I just wish the cliches hadn't been so numerous.

7. Loaded with great actors. I'm interested.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What?! I wanted a Gatling Gun to mow down that overgrown horny toad! If the creature had gotten his way, Julie Adams would have an oil slick on the lagoon!

Tree of Life likes this.
  9. The Revealer

I totally understood his point. I often felt bad for monsters in movies that were otherwise minding their own business when people came along to mess things up! [Frankenstein just wanted to play with that little girl after all. He didn't know she couldn't float....] Anyway, he was specifically referring to the scenes where she was swimming and the Creature was following her in fascination. He didn't want to hurt nobody; He was just a Creature in love!

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Going to see this today.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

David Lynch, please pick up the white Courtesy Phone....

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It looks like a man who likes to say "YES!" to every idea...
    I would LOVE to see his take on Jekyll & Hyde! And it's a pity his Hobbit-movie(s) didn't work out. I found (in hindsight) the Hobbit-series lacking in 'something' and that 'something' could have come from a director and visual conceptualist like Del Toro...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a really beautiful movie. If the art direction and cinematography don't at least get nominated for an Oscar, there is no justice. Really well-done, emotional film. Del Toro makes movies that look like nobody else's, just a really unique and singular vision. It's a beautiful fantasy story that surprised me quite a few times.

Teal! :)

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't seen this one yet but I'm a big fan of Del Toro.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, he's a genuine artist and an auteur. Nobody else makes films that look like Del Toro.

Malina, Chris DeVoe and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. This, Darkest Hour, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Mo. are on my "must see" list. I can't remember the last time there were three films out at the same time that I wanted to see, or two for that matter.

The Revealer likes this.
  17. The Revealer

:laughup:

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I went into this completely blind. All I knew is it was a Guillermo del Toro film and that was enough.
    Wow, excellent film. I hope it stands up to the repeat viewings I will need to appreciate all the film and water references.
    I already want to rewatch his other films as I'm starting to see a theme of egg references...

Vidiot, Ethan B and mikeyt like this.
  19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

"Fairy tales were born in times of trouble, in complicated times—when hope felt lost. I made The Shape of Water as an antidote to cynicism. For it seems to me that when we speak of love—when we believe in love—we do so in a hopeless way. We fear looking naïve and even disingenuous. But Love is real—absolutely real—and, like water, it is the most gentle and most powerful force in the Universe. It is free and formless until it pours into its recipient, until we let it in. Our eyes are blind. But our soul is not. It recognizes love in whatever shape it comes to us." - Guillermo del Toro

I wanted to love the movie but something about it felt off to me. But I do love where he was coming from in making it.

SandAndGlass and The Revealer like this.
  20. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Teal! :)[/QUOTE]

I just saw it as well. Del Toro designs a very intriguing world of teal, olive, avocado, kelly green, forest green, sage, hooker's green, mint, Phthalo green, sea green, jungle green, emerald green, Viridian, moss green, hunter green, asparagus, pistachio, and turquoise. It was a fun place to inhabit. I just wish there'd been more blues.

21. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the movie. Recommended. One of my top 5 movies for 2017.

The Revealer and Ethan B like this.
  22. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Great movie saw it today. It is the type of movie Spielberg or Tim Burton would have totally made a mess of.

benjaminhuf and The Revealer like this.
  23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Saw it a couple of days ago. I went in with high expectations and felt a little let down. The movie was a very stylized ode to the early 60s and some scenes were gorgeous but the blue-green color palette - for me - was overdone. Some scenes took me out of the movie (i.e. the dance sequence, the flooded bathroom) and in a couple of places credibility flew out the window, such as early in the film Eliza gains easy access to the room where the asset was being held without a single security person in place. Such a valuable asset would certainly be under guard 24/7. I get that fantasy stories require suspension of disbelief but some parts of the movie just didn't seem to click. I applaud Sally Hawkins and all the actors, I think their performances were great. I think the issue for me was the screenplay and the editing. Some elements seemed superfluous such as Giles' attempts to regain his former position as a staff artist with his previous employer and his solo encounter with the pie guy. I guess the rejections were intended to give him motive for helping Eliza but it felt forced and unnecessary.

I would recommend the movie, just keep your expectations in check.

24. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Is this film ever going to open anywhere other than LA and NYC?

The release strategy is almost annoying enough that I'm not interested in seeing it in the theater at this point. Just wait for BR release.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There is a modern trend to move away from blue and go more to a greenish-blue. Have I ever told the story of my argument with Barbra Streisand on teal (green/blue) vs. turquoise (blue/green)? True story.

BTW, here's a terrific piece on the very complex (but cost-effective) production on The Shape of Water. Who knew that the creature's face was all VFX 90% of the time?

Shaping Water at Mr X Inc.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.