Logitech Media Sever on QNAP - music folders empty after scan

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by strat95, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strat95

strat95 Senior Member Thread Starter

First time experiencing such a problem after many years of using LMS on QNAP. After installing new 3x 8tb drives in Raid 5 on my TS-559 Pro+ I'm trying to reconfigure Logitech Media Server on QNAP by following the instructions here for installation:

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=111583

I have used these instructions before with a 3x 3TB configuration in Raid 5 and everything has worked fine, mind you an older version of LMS was implemented.

In my latest attempt to use the same procedure a strange problem is present.

Once pointing LMS to my music folders, the scan does not seem to pick up any of the songs, whether mp3, flac, or any other format. After the scan I am able to browse the folder structure of my music library in LMS, but all folders accessed via Logitech Media Server are empty!

Some more info : firmware 4.2.4 for QNAP and the latest build of LMS squeezeboxserver-7.9.1-1492077569.

I uninstalled this version and tried the basic version with built in qpkg LogitechMediaServer_7.7.2_x86.qpkg and it behaves the same way.

I also installed LMS squeezeboxserver-7.9.1-1492077569 on my laptop and in this case my library is scanned properly and all works fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

T

2. TerryS

TerryS Forum Resident

You are way over my head! I have a QNAP NAS running LMS, but I haven't touched it since I got it up and running a few years ago. It just continues to work, so I haven't need to mess with it. My only suggestion would be to ask the question on the Squeezebox forum if you haven't already. It is still very active and there are some very knowledgeable people there. They have a sub-forum dedicated to 3rd party hardware (NAS and such).
    3rd Party Hardware

Best of luck with this,
    Terry

3. strat95

Terry,

Yeah, tell me about it, this used to be easy. Now you have to jump through hoops to upgrade LMS.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give the Squeezebox forum a try.

Just curious, which version of LMS are you running?

Cheers,

T

4. TerryS

TerryS Forum Resident

I'm running an older version:
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 06:37:22 MDT 2012

I only use it to play my music library, so I don't need the features of the newer versions. This one works for me, so I'll stay with it.

Terry

5. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Use Qfile to find music.

Physically point to directories in LMS. LMS can be sensitive to capitalization.

RiCat likes this.
  6. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I'm currently using 4.2.4 on QNAP and 7.7.2 on LMS. I purchased my SS-439 Pro in 2009.

7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

It has been some time since I used the LMS environment but go into the files settings and make sure the file formats in use are checked. What you describe sounds like a LMS issue in recognizing the file types. As Gecko said also make sure the library on the NAS is properly named for the LMS. The NAS seems to be working.

8. strat95

@ Terry - Thanks for letting me know the version that works for you, it's unusual that newer versions are not working for me as they used to before the hard drive upgrade. I will go back and try the version you are using to see if I have any luck.

@ Blue Gecko - The file browse method withing LMS was used to point to directories, so any capitalization should be taken care of. I purchased my TS-509 Pro+ in 2010 and have used LMS without problems since then... up until now.

@ RiCat - Had a look at the file settings and all formats were already pre-checked, no changes required to add formats, will have to look at the naming of the library, perhaps that may have to do with it.

Thank you all for your replies. I will report back if this gets figured out.

As I mentioned earlier, installing the latest LMS on my laptop runs without problems and recognizes and shows scanned files in the library.

Cheers,

T

9. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I used to run LMS on a Synology but have switched to Bluesound for numerous reasons. Where do you get the version LMS that does not work on the NAS? What device are you using for streamer/dac? I had (well have it is in a drawer) Squeezebox Touch. I found that firmware compatibility was needed as well. So you might check that also.

10. strat95

RiCat,

This is where the latest versions of LMS are coming from:

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.9

I'm using a Squeezebox Touch and Squeezebox Radio, have been using them for years without a problem until now.

Would firmware on the Squeezebox devices get in the way of LMS being able to read in the library?

I have noticed that when I upgraded LMS the Squeezebox Touch and Radio would need an upgrade but it was pretty much automatic.

11. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Hmmm....

Other Network LMS ideas...

Network LMS
    Verify port 9001 is being used (e.g., http://192.168.1.118:9001)
    UPnP Client: Enabled, look for other UPnP Media Servers

12. strat95

Hello Blue Gecko,

Port 9001 is being used by LMS server and can access the interface via that port without a problem.

By going to http://192.168.xxx.xxxx:9099 the SSOTS interface shows the UPnP subsystem is enabled, however, not sure how to "look for other UPnP Media Servers"?

13. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I looked at the QNap site and they are pretty clear that their OS does not support LMS. This does not mean that some version will not run. Since LMS is now open community based it is hard to tell exactly what instruction changes are being made with each iteration posted. Check to be sure you used the correct version for your NAS. Next if you know the version that ran successfully why not use it now? When I looked at NAS I settled on a Synology because I was using the LMS and it supports it. However Synology stopped updating their version and that chore fell to the Synology community. After many many months of dealing with some great people on forums I just decided to find another solution. I had numerous concerns. Your current experience highlights a few of them. So as what to do now I suggest you install a previous working version and consider going to a different environment in the future. Also I looked at your profile and it does not mention the Squeezebox. Are you using it for the wireless stream of your collection?

14. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

15. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Also...
    Can you see the QNAP box from your portable using the QNAP Qfinder application from your PC?
    Does Qfinder show the network drives and music files using the Network files link?

Use the Configuration link to view QNAP box details. Confirm data.

16. strat95

True it has been a while as there are security issues with SSOTS so Logitech stopped supporting it, although there is a way of installing the latest versions of LMS (see link in post #1).

I did try older versions that worked in the past and the results are the same, scanned folders = empty library except for images. I have uninstalled LMS from QNAP and reinstalled and still no luck. It make me think there may be something in a setting somewhere the got bungled up?!

Good advice on using another alternative, perhaps a raspberry pi to run LMS. As mentioned, the same version installed on my laptop scans music without a problem.

Yes, a Squeezebox Touch and Radio are being used for streaming my collection.

Thank you for your input.

Cheers,

T

17. strat95

I can't seem to find Qfinder, is that in version 4.3 and up? I'm running 4.2.5 here as I think the older units can't run 4.3.

In the shared folder section I do see the folders containing my music library.

Cheers,

T

18. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Qfinder installed on windows portable to view QNAP box.

QNAP Utilities

19. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

If you PM me I'll send screen shots of my settings.

20. strat95

Someone on another forum suggested it is a folder permissions problem and they were correct. The permissions were changed (not sure why this time around QNAP treated permission differently) and all was good again.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  21. david571111

david571111 New Member

Hi strat95
    I have same problem as you, could you tall me what the another forum artical is, or how you change the permissions to make it work, thanks!

22. david571111

david571111 New Member

23. TerryS

TerryS Forum Resident

David,
    There is an active support forum for the Logitech Media Server (LMS) here:
    User Forums

There is a subforum for just LMS issues:
    Logitech Media Server
    and one for hosting it on 3rd party hardware (NAS and such)
    3rd Party Hardware

If you go to the forum and search on 'permissions', there are quite a few suggestions. If that doesn't find the answer, someone there should be able to help you.

Terry

24. david571111

david571111 New Member

Hi Terry

Thanks! I done it.
    Use command “ chmod -R 775 musicfolder “.

25. strat95

David,

Just found this email to your question buried in my inbox, sorry I missed it. Essentially, the QNAP folder permissions were not set with full access (read/write) and thus LMS was not able to 'find' any music files even though they were there.

Hopefully you have solved your problem at this time. If not send me a PM or reply here and I can help you out.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.