The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Possibly, but in many cases the Missing Links versions constitute the originally released versions of those songs. Now, I don't know if that carries the same importance for songs that were originally outtakes as it does for the "official catalog."

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. readr

readr Forum Resident

Couple thoughts about the original ML releases. In regards to the first ML album, it contains a couple variations that even weren’t repeated on the CD release. All three albums could be, in turn, remastered to match the level and sonics of the current box sets. About 50 tracks would be original ML tracks in their original ML mix versions, about 40 more tracks could be mix outtakes and unreleased backing tracks. I can’t think of a better way to wrap up this 30 year vault raid and close the door on the original era releases.

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I do prefer the Missing Links mixes in some cases because they are more "vintage" and less "pro-tools", but this MOTM box has a lot of vintage-style remixes...more than any of the other sets.

4. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It's a real shame that multi-tracks for the first version of "I'll Be Back Up On My Feet" have never materialized. I'd like to hear the instruments properly separated.

Hep Alien, FJFP and WonkyWilly like this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Does to me. I prefer the ML 1 mixes for all songs on the comp (particularly So Goes Love and Carlisle Wheeling) buuuuuuut I don't trust the mastering these mixes might receive at this point, so it's moot to me. Why are others angling for these to be re-released? Are they OOP?

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

That would be the LAST thing I want. I know I'm just speaking for myself but again, my only beef with post LTTB Monkees releases are the way they are mastered. They are compiled and sometimes even remixed well, but that mastering...ye gads! I'd rather the current box sets' levels and sonics match ML series levels. At least 1 & 2 anyway.

EDIT: And I know this isn't on Andrew, it's on Rhino. They mucked up those beautiful Kinks Deluxes too.

FJFP likes this.
  7. JeffDB5

JeffDB5 Forum Resident

Great find, love it!

Hep Alien and action pact like this.
  8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I seem to remember in Andrew's book that during the PACJ sessions, an attempt was made to record this song, and Chip Douglas had the tape pulled for this song (cannot remember if it was the multi-track or the stereo master), and it became lost after the session.

9. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

They appear to be OoP. Amazon doesn't sell them directly and they're only available from 3rd party sellers on Amazon Marketplace.

10. MarkTheShark

Having heard the "Mary, Mary" overdub session -- which is awesome -- when they are saying stuff like "Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy," that is a reference to a 1950s children's TV show originally called "Smilin' Ed' s Gang" (hosted by Ed McConnell), and after McConnell died he was replaced by Andy Devine and it became "Andy's Gang." Just some random trivia to place that stuff in context. Why do I even know about this, this was years before I was even born.

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't think Rhino had anything to do with the Kinks deluxes. Sanctuary? Universal?

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Sorry. I meant the company folks who make those calls. I did read it was their call about The Kinks deluxes regarding the mastering process.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Well in that case, for those missing out, rereleases would be nice. But isn't that the kind of thing Friday Music does?

14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Playing the "what if" game is kind of pointless BUT it is isn't that hard to imagine if Douglas had been retained as the producer for the 5th lp we might have gotten his versions of "I'll Be Back Up on My Feet," "Zor and Zam," "We Were Made for Each Other," "Tapioca Tundera," "Valleri" and "Tear the Top Right off of My Head."

15. MarkTheShark

Actually, this would be right up their alley.

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'm curious about something:

As we stand today, what songs from "The Monkees" and "More of The Monkees" Have NOT been remixed (stereo)?

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

All three volumes of the Monkees Missing Links series are available for purchase and streaming on Amazon and iTunes. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that everything that was in the ML series has been released in the Deluxe editions.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  18. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'm no "Laugh" fan, but whoever mixed out the excess "Ho-ho-ha!" stuff is all right in my book.

For some reason, I never really realized how dumb the lyrics to "Apples, Peaches..." are. "I like you, here's some fruit."

I wish that they'd put Micky on vocals for that version of "I Don't Think You Know Me". It could've been a contender.

19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'd argue that the "cheesy" organ was an integral part of the record and helped make it the hit it was.

Pizza, FJFP, Hall Cat and 1 other person like this.
  20. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Some of the mixes are unique to the Missing Links discs.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is probably my least favorite Monkees song, just because of that obnoxious refrain. I skip it every time. Thank God we have a dozen different mixes of it.

BadJack likes this.
  22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

There is a Micky version and it's probably my favorite. Unless you're talking about the second version, then it's just Peter (as far as I know). The correct speed backing track of the second version is one of the highlights of this box.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. BadJack

I'm talking about the version Peter sang. I wish it was Micky. I suppose they had to give Pete something to do but I feel like this song was a victim of that, and it still didn't get released.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  24. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I have always thought that Mike's version was the best. I fell in love with that version the first time I heard it on the vinyl Missing Links 1. Nez really nailed it.

25. BadJack

I like Mike's version of that recording more than Micky's. Interesting that it has the drum pattern of what became the "Headquarters" version of "You Just May Be the One".

Maybe if Mike and Jeff Barry had gotten along better, he would have been given a shot at the second version.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.