OLD DTS, SACD and DD 5.1 discs, upmixed to ATMOS... WOW!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wired4Fun, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was all excited recently to see that INXS Kick will be available as a Dolby Atmos mix, and rushed out to order it. Was extra happy when the whole set was under $30 :) But I digress... I love surround music. I love stereo music. Just depends on my mood. I am a guy who is equally invested (in love) with home theater and I have a separate stereo room.

As many folks know, upmixing 5.1 into an Atmos array can have STELLAR results, and for some reason it never occurred to me to dig through the 10+ surround sound music discs I have, and upmix them! Seeing this advertisement for Atmos Music Discs sparked this idea, and off I ran to the home theater!

Automatic for the People by REM was first. HOLY. COW. Unbelievable. So much so, that I won't rebuy the ACTUAL Atmos disc coming out. This is good enough. Vocals up front, ambient sounds all around, reverb into the heights... it is a VERY cool sonic experience.

I moved on to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, SACD. Ummm... no comments needed. Just know it is a religious experience, and slightly scary at times. If you have the disc and the gear, stop reading this NOW. Go listen.

Everlclear's So Much For the Afterglow was fun, if not still somehow hollow. Neat, but not life changing.

STP CORE was good, not great. Again, it fills the room while managing to sound hollow.

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. Some good. Some Great. Some breathtaking! Tears Dry on Their Own FTW!

Bob Marley LEGEND: Fantastic, save for one or two tracks that have that hollow sound. Three Little Birds and Could You Be Loved are brilliant!

I have some more to listen to, but thought I would share my excitement, and maybe inspire a few folks to do the same and share their experiences :) HAPPY SUNDAY!

Jarleboy and onlyconnect like this.
  2. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

When you say "upmix", are you referring to letting the receiver do the work by setting it to Atmos, or are you doing something with software to do the remixing? I'm curious because I have a new receiver and ceiling speakers on the way and I'm anxious to enjoy the Atmos experience.

3. Wired4Fun

I am indeed referring to DTS: Neural X and DD upmixing, where the receiver sends what it "thinks" should go to the height speakers, there. The results on films is really, really wow.

I received my INXS Atmos box set, and I am happy to report that the mix is AWESOME. I really enjoyed it, having listened to it two times in a row when it arrived. My older 5.1 DTS music discs worked well as described in my original post. Stereo CDs do not sound good when matrixed/upmixed; at least, not to me.

Once you get your Atmos array installed (I have had mine 2.5 years) if you want "demo" discs, might I suggest Gravity, Mad Max Fury Road, The Harry Potter films, and many, many more. Atmos to me, is the single greatest thing to happen to home theater since 1080p. LOVE it. Hope you do, too.

4. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

You mention 5.1 discs in the title but list Amy Winehouse, there is no surround mix for Back to Black correct? Just the "mastered too hot" stereo mix on the Blu-ray HFPA release?

Wired4Fun likes this.
  5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

BTW one tune I found works well with 2.0 > surround processing is "Sacrifice" from Elton John's Sleeping With The Past CD, if you have a copy...see what you think. I'm not to keen on upmixing otherwise but I expect 5.1 > Atmos could be a more enjoyable process than 2.0 > 5.1+

Wired4Fun likes this.
  6. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I have most of the music discs that you mentioned in your original post, and I have the 4K disc of MM Fury Road, so I'll be anxious to test them out. Thanks for the additional recommendations. (And, I gave the INXS box set to my girlfriend for Christmas, so I'll be borrowing the blu-ray's from her so I can listen to the Atmos mix.)

Beaneydave and Wired4Fun like this.
  7. Wired4Fun

Yep, my bad! B2B was the CD! So yet another 2.0 that matrixes well! Not awesome, but good :)

Thanks for the suggestion on Elton! I’ll check it out.

And I agree with you... typically 2.0 to 5.1 is BLAH.

But, 5.1 or 7.1 to Atmos/DTS:X via their upmixing code, is UNREAL.

My home theater is 7.1.4 and in some cases, upmixed 5.1/7.1 sounds almost as good as actual object based soundtracks. The tech has come a LONG way!

dobyblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.