Thoughts on Beatles 2009 Remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jan 3, 2018.

1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

I assumed they were the definitive version of the albums until I came here and found out there is farrrr more out there than I ever realised in terms of versions of the albums. How do the 2009 remasters stack up against your favourite versions of the albums? Would you say they're good versions?

Not the most interesting topic in the world, sorry but I'm interested and plus, it's still a Beatles thread so it's bound to invite some discussion :p

Keith V, Jay Bob, Exotiki and 6 others like this.
  2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Mono remasters are worth getting as well as the first four in stereo. The rest I prefer the original CDs.

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

What versions were the original CD's? Were they 80's remasters? I feel like I've heard that somewhere. And why do you prefer them?

4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Not a fan of the Stereo's.
    I own the first 4 out of necessity, but after that I stick to the Canadian 80's "Help" & "Rubber Soul" and the standard 1987 issues of the other albums.

I do like the monos a lot. They were far more natural sounding than the Stereo remasters.

Library Eye, BDC, 2141 and 6 others like this.
  5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It's possible this has been discussed before.

Alf Panek, Vel, lrpm and 108 others like this.
  6. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Personally, I find the 2009 Mono Remasters to be the best sounding Beatles CDs ever. However, a much different mastering approach was used with the Stereo Remasters, resulting in a harder, more modern sound. For the stereo CDs, I prefer the original 1987 and 1988 CDs, which are more natural sounding. It's really too bad they didn't use the same mastering approach with the stereo CDs that they did with the mono CDs. Had they done so, I'm sure they could have improved on the original CDs.

7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I don't doubt it, but I couldn't find anything on a quick search. People do tend to change their minds as well especially with so many new versions releasing.
    Also the 1987 vs 2009 remaster thread isn't available to view for some reason.

Heckto35, 2141, Saint Johnny and 7 others like this.
  8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The mono's from 2009 are essential. The LP's from 2014, even more so. The "stock" of the 2009 stereo remasters has diminished somewhat but many still really like them. In general, I prefer the 87's if I want stereo as these sound more natural. However, I quite like to vary things a bit and do still enjoy the 2009 discs.

andrewskyDE, 2141, Tuco and 1 other person like this.
  9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

No matter how hard I try, I just don't like the sound of mono. I wish I did so I could appreciate it the way a lot of you guys do. I'm happy with the 2009 versions, though :D

Mesozoic Mike, Vel, Heckto35 and 22 others like this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Well we go to church every Sunday also.....(well I'm a backslider).

We should have a Beatles backslider thread...

I love the 2009 stereos and pick them up at the thrifts whenever I can. Of course I bought them all new in 2009.
    I have the Mono Box to but I like stereo Beatles better.

11. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Is the stereo boxset essential? I have plenty of albums bought separately. I know mono mix is superb

Heckto35 and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I find I need to play the monos at high volume to really appreciate them at their best. My neighbours all seem to like them too.:laugh:

13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

This church?

[​IMG]

14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I broke out my 2009 Mono box Sgt Pepper and played them through some big speakers (Klipsch Epic CF-3s).

I think the original stereo mix was a masterstroke, whether intentional or not. Yes some things are buried a bit that the mono brings out.
    However I have realized that there is great warmth to the stereo mix that just makes it something special. Just my opinion of course.
    I hear the music but I sort of feel a toasty dark warmness when I listen. Maybe it is me.

Vel, Heckto35, Dan The Man1 and 8 others like this.
  15. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Actually, I don't mind mono at all when playing through speakers, it's just my speakers are cheap and my headphones are for music listening, not my speakers. I do not like mono in headphones. I think that might be the same for most people, if my thread way back when told me anything.
    I would love to buy some mono versions of the albums for those rare occasions I do listen through big speakers but they're so expensive and I've never seen a store with them. Oh, well.

16. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I used to think the Stereo remasters 2009 were the best things since time began. But then after taking a step back and looking at thing objectively
    and reading some truths on this forum, I realized I was completely brainwashed by a marketing campaign that pulled me in like a sucker. I was not
    the only one tho so I don't beat myself up. The original CD's from 1980s (plus original or even 70s LP pressings) are better and really perfect.
    They didn't need messing about with,,but money talks i guess!

Vel, Freezerburn, rock76 and 8 others like this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I swore I'd never participate in another Beatles thread, especially not one where I'll have a dissenting opinion and get alerts for years to come, but I feel like I'm the only person who really disliked the mono box. It's not horrible, but the mixes are so lifeless. I got a great deal on it and I was super excited. I popped on "If I Needed Someone"... and it sounded like crap. Oh sure, the mastering was fine, I liked that, but I don't understand how people can say it sounds better. All of the energy was just gone. It sounded like a hollow imitation of the song than the song itself. There's some other things, like how I've always hated the vocals on the mono "Help" and how I prefer the stereo takes for A Hard Day's Night and Please Please Me, but I was overwhelmed at how dull it sounded.

If you're strictly looking for mastering and technicals, yeah, the mono box is great. But apart from the first four albums (which I personally prefer in stereo anyway), everything just sounded really, really off. And I have yet to encounter anyone who agrees with me.

I think the mastering on the stereo CDs is fine. Not MFSL level or any of that but it brings much more clarity to these cloth ears than the '87 CDs ever could.

RogerE, Vel, Heckto35 and 28 others like this.
  18. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

It's the trousers?

DrBeatle and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

All people wanted until 2009 were the Beatles CDs upgraded, then they did and people decided there was nothing wrong with the originals.
    All people wanted until 2017 was Sgt Pepper remixed from the original session tapes, then they did and people decided there was nothing wrong with the originals.

There is probably a pattern here somewhere...

20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

A lot of those truths are just opinions. There are a lot of truths on offer, but the only opinion that should matter is your own.

21. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

well spotted LOL

22. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident

The received wisdom here appears to be: '09 remasters Please Please Me through to Rubber Soul and the 87-88 CDs for the remainder including Past Masters. I've re-bought and replaced accordingly and am quite happy with that as my collection.

Do we have any staunch advocates for the 80's CDs of PPM to Rubber?

23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Wasn’t there a press release about this at the time...? I’m not sure. Maybe someone remembers...

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Vaguely remember something about it, it might have been posted here, so long ago........

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. The 2009 mono CDs are much appreciated by me. I am also not a big fan of listening to mono mixes through headphones, but blasting these mono mixes in my car or through my home speakers is always a fun listen. The stereo mixes leave me rather indifferent. I don't dislike them, but I can't say I like them more than the '87 disks. I do like having nice stereo CDs of Beatles For Sale and A Hard Day's Night.