Marantz PM8005 or Yamaha A-S801/A-S701

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nola27, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Don't try a Sutherland phono with that AS1100, your bank account will shrink some more. I know you like your Lounge, but with your system, you could justify something like a Sutherland 20/2o in it.

displayname and Helom like this.
  2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Sorry for the loss of your great dog. Few people realize how friendly a well treated and socialized Chow can be. We have had many Chows that we fostered and found good homes for, invariably with happy endings. We've also had to put down a few of our pets, a couple after 12+ years of having them, and some that we adopted later in life. We currently have 2 black Chows and a yellow lab.
    Our pets, not fostering currently. So sad when they go, and for some of us so important to our lives.
    Peace

CBackley likes this.
  3. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Good luck with the Yamaha. I pulled the trigger on the Rega Brio. Used a Visa gift card I received from work as part of my Christmas bonus. Expected to arrive tomorrow just in time for my Christmas break.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. nola27

nola27 Active Member Thread Starter

thank you, they really do become our friends in life and love them like family. its very honorable of you to help with fostering them.

BDC likes this.
  5. nola27

thats great! my Yamaha is arriving today. I'm still very curious about the Rega Brio. did you get the 2017 model? we'll have to compare notes.

6. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Yes, with the newly added headphone jack.

nola27 likes this.
  7. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Sure you gave her a great life.

He's a rescue of unknown origin. If I had to bet I'd say a Staffordshire bull terrier/Rhodesian ridgeback cross... but either way he's just a dude. And yes always ready to play!

nola27 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'll be changing amps in the next two months. I'll be visiting the local shops here in Montreal to listen to the Rogue Sphinx V2 and the Marantz PM8005. I currently have the Marantz PM6005, and I've felt for some time that I'd like a change. I keep reading great reviews on the Rogue and I'm wondering if those that have heard both can offer their opinions on which they preferred?

I also placed an order for a Parks Audio Budgie to use as an external phono amp.

9. james

james Summon The Queen

So the S-801 and the 7005 seem pretty evenly matched on specs. I need something to get me through the next few years and these one box solutions seem like good options.

Has anyone owned both? Does one have a better phono stage than the other? I had a Yamaha A-S2000 which was excellent so I’m leaning that way, but I’ve also never owned any Marantz gear. The one thing that’s giving me pause on the Yamaha is the comment that “it may not please tube lovers”.

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

No SS amp in this price range is going to sound like a full tube amp. Even the Rogue Sphinx with its tube preamp stage sounds nothing like the real deal. From your profile and post, I imagine you're accustomed to SS sound, so why the concern about tube likeness?

11. james

james Summon The Queen

I’ve been downsizing due to a room change and a toddler. I was running a Line Magnetic 518 for the last few years. I don’t expect either to replace that amp, but leaning more in that direction than less would be preferable. I’m pretty averse to “bright” (why Snells, Vienna Acoustics and the Denon 103 seem to never leave my room).

12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

'
    The Yamaha AS801 is not bright at all, after it is broken in well. That first couple hundred hours can be a big sound roller coaster though. The new Yamahas are really nice pieces if you have the patience to wait them out. The line stages and Dacs are hard to beat for the money. The phono stages are ok for an integrated, but can be beat by a good separate stage. I am using a Sutherland KC Vibe with mine, and its a pretty big upgrade, but it costs as much as the amp, so it should be.

13. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Well you got that amp by now I assume. How do you like it?

14. nola27

I have about 65 hrs on it and will evaluate it seriously at 100 hrs like Yamaha recommends. I do know that when I first turned it on it was thin and sterile sounding, 2 dimensional if you will. now its sound has become full and 3d with instruments and voices in their recorded places. this amp is by no means bright as a lot of people think of the Yamaha brand. I really like the fact that the soundstage is not forward and in your face. so far, so good!

Bananas&blow and timind like this.
  15. nola27

well here is an update: after reaching over the 100 hrs. on the A-S801, my wife and I sat down and listened to it for 3 hrs. I then put the my Yamaha RX-770 back in the mix and after a several songs we both looked at each other in amazement. The RX-770 had the same soundstage but sounded more powerful and the "in your room with you" experience bested the A-S801. the A-S801 sounds really good and I'm not trying to take anything away from it but the 25 yr. old RX-770 just sounded better to both our ears. all I can say is the Nola Boxers have more synergy with the old dinosaur. I since have returned the A-S801.

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you plan on keeping the older Yamaha, you might think about replacing the old power supply caps.

F1nut and nola27 like this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

A volume matched comparison?

18. nola27

yes, everything the same and the RX-770 is 85w compared to the A-S801 100w. we listened to both with the pure direct engaged.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

I ordered the A-S801 today. thanks for the info in this thread

20. nola27

hi james, it really did change for the better after the 100 hrs. my Nola Boxers are a bit fussy which I'm learning from the few integrateds I've driven them with. what speakers do you have?

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm not really surprised, the RX-770 has some good reviews on the web and almost identical specs, aside from the 15 watt difference.

22. james

james Summon The Queen

Good to know, thanks for the tip. I'll try out Snell J's on Skylan stands as well as Vienna Acoustic Bach Grands...see where I land.

nola27 likes this.
  23. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Thank you for reporting back. I'm rather shocked by the results. Sorry our recommendations didn't work out better for you.

irender and nola27 like this.
  24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Time to take the Marantz for a test drive.

25. rainsoothe

rainsoothe New Member

I'm almost 100% sure they're exactly the same as their previous incarnations, apart from the added DACs. Also, sad to say, I understand the OP's disappointment. I find all of the current Yamaha amp range pretty anemic, although it can sound good with jazz. It's rather curious, because their studio monitors don't have this issue at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.