Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Really freakish weather in the UK at the moment! I actually woke up last night as the wind was roaring through the trees around our block with such force. Not heard anything like it in the 25 years we have been here!

This would be a non-event in parts of the US of course but it certainly grabbed my attention!

bluemooze likes this.
  2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Storms as reported here in Staffordshire with the Black Country Flood Alerts and power cuts as Storm Eleanor hits North Staffordshire
    Storm Eleanor hits West Midlands: 300 homes without power, trees uprooted and blocked roads during disruption

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wow! Makes me even more excited that I have tickets to his SF recital in May!

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Beethoven Symphony No. 7 performed by the English Chamber Orchestra, let by Michael Tilson Thomas.
    Recorded at EMI Studio One, Abbey Road, London, 1982.

[​IMG]

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, a first listen to "Ministriles Reales" performed by Hesperion XX & Hesperion XXI led by Jordi Savall on AliaVox.

[​IMG]

6. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

Yep, this box set:
    [​IMG]

hvbias, Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  7. bluemooze

Heh, beautiful music but that cover doesn't look Appalachian to me. :D

8. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

This is the first I have heard about this story. Amazing. Karajan had long opposed having women in his orchestra but he wanted to hire her for the BPO whilst the orchestra didn't!

Only the year before did the BPO hire their first woman for the orchestra in 1982.

Thankfully times have changed!

KARAJAN AND ORCHESTRA CLASH OVER CLARINETIST

bluemooze likes this.
  9. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Great stuff. This reminds me I have booked for some lovely looking concerts this year.

I'm pleased I booked a long time ago for the now sold-out Argerich, Jansen & Maisky Trio at the Barbican on Feb 6.

They are playing Shostakovich Piano Trio No 2 in E minor and Tchaikovsky Trio in A minor.

Should be heavenly ...

10. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

What a strange cover picture. I listened to the new Schumann set from Tilson Thomas and found it dead boring. No tension at all, it sounded like a stroll on a sunday afternoon. And that is not what Schumann is about!

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Well, this new arrival was a huge disappointment! Despite being billed as "sealed," it's an obvious re-seal and it has clearly been played! Side one has some scrapes, a fingerprint, and residue from a previous cleaning. Side two has many ticks/pops. Plus, the Stravinsky has decidedly inferior sound compared to the Ravel: compressed and boxy. Weissenberg's playing is commanding, as always, but not enough to compensate for the sonic issues! Back it goes to the Amazon seller.

[​IMG]

12. ShallowMemory

Grrr. How daft do they think we are to not notice the tell tale signs of being used???

Bachtoven likes this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Anyone who has any experience with vinyl knows what a factory sealed LP looks like--the plastic is much tighter for one thing.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not easy to change tradition. It had taken years before women were allowed to perform in Bach choral works. For a very long time, only men and boys were allowed to sing in those works ...

15. coopmv

I would not go near a used classical vinyl with a ten-foot pole, just saying ...

16. ShallowMemory

Sibelius: Lemminkainen Suite, Luonnotar, The Bard Scottish National Orch. Sir Alexander Gibson 1978/2004 Chandos CHAN 6586
    End of analogue era recording but what recordings, atmospheric and well played.

17. coopmv

The utility company has already made robo call warning of potential power outage caused by the strong wind from the snowstorm that is moving into the northeast starting midnight ...

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Presence box. Originally released by Philips, a joint recording effort with Mercury.

Disc 1-Sonatas 1, 2 & 3.

[​IMG]

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I only bought one used classical record sight-unseen from a trusted Japanese seller on eBay.

All of my other used classical vinyl was visually inspected by me in a store before purchasing.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

21. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, "In the Midst of Life - Music from the Baldwin Partbooks II" performed by Contrapunctus led by Owen Rees on Signum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ShallowMemory and scompton like this.
  22. bluemooze

:eek:

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I waited one month for this LP to arrive from Russia—it was worth it! Beautiful, bold playing with sound to match. Nearly silent surfaces, too.

[​IMG]

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm getting close to that! The main problem is new or audiophile remastered LPs are getting very expensive. For a while, when my renewed interest in vinyl was at its peak, I was buying LPs just to have the music in that format. Now, I plan to buy them mainly if they are the only version of the music that I want, such as the Bach shown above.

25. coopmv

I have the CD version of her recording ...