Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I dig the guy so much I'd imagine I'll have much more of his stuff soon enough :)

Goodens corner may have just jumped to #2 over idle moments when the wallet recovers. Love the track list and I'd be curious to really dig into how green and Clark play into each other. I'd imagine it would be pretty darn magical as I hear a similar sense of phrasing in their solos, almost like they are hard bop kindred spirits.

johnnypaddock, Guitarded and mikeyt like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Oh. In that case, Solid, for sure. I'd also suggest perhaps looking at Talkin' About, as you suggest.

DrJ and johnnypaddock like this.
  3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Was just at Amoeba Hollywood this morning and they have a bunch of MM45s in the bins, priced $35-$45.

Twinsfan007, ispace, Cassius and 3 others like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Which ones you recall seeing? I'm looking online and I only see like 3 listed online.

5. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Sealed or open/used?

6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Online I was able to snag Kenny Dorham una mas 45 sealed for $45. But I need more lol!

Satchidananda likes this.
  7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

They looked factory sealed but since Amoeba re-bags it's hard to be 100% sure. The ones I remember seeing for sure are:

Art Blakey - Mosaic
    Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay
    Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
    Horace Parlan - Happy Frame Of Mind or Speakin' My Piece
    Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers

mikeyt and recstar24 like this.
  8. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Nice score. I’ve been after that one myself!

guidedbyvoices and recstar24 like this.
  9. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I just got the Music Matters 33RPM copies of Joe Henderson's Page One and Kenny Drew's Undercurrent from the past week for birthday and Christmas! I haven't got a chance to spin them yet but I'll get to this soon!

And I finally nabbed a new, sealed 33RPM copy of Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else from Jeff Barr via eBay for a fair price!

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Researching future buys. Thoughts on the newks time 45? I read about the cymbal issue and I think I’m ok with it, I hear something similar in hank Mobley’s Workout with the drums going from the left to both left and right periodically and it doesn’t bother me. How about the other sonny’s like vol 2?

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Got two in from Deepdiscount’s sale last week. Despite that crappy oversized corrugated cardboard they’re both in perfect shape. My copy of Kenny drew’s Undercurrent had the top strip of the plastic removed and an ‘elusive disc’ bar code on the back, so maybe it was a return? That said I see and hear no issues, the cover is in perfect shape and the vinyl was quiet and silent the whole way through, so for under $40 I’m happy. Playing dexter gordon’s Our Man in Paris now.

Bobby Buckshot, mikeyt and Guitarded like this.
  12. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

I hope it's the appropriate forum for this, but for anyone who has defective MM titles, cosmetic issues with the cover or even blemishes and sound quality issues on the lp, I have a WTB posting with $$ or trade offer.

13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

These arrived today, was able to spin side A of Maiden Voyage during my lunch break and wow, it sounds incredible! Can't wait to dive into Side B as well as all of Point of Departure.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

SOLID is pure awesome sauce. However I know my next grant green is probably going to be either green street or goodens corner.

Green is so freaking good I think I just want to hear him do his thing absent of other horn players. Any thoughts on how the AP 45 of green street compares with the MM 33? The few clips I've heard of green street he just tears it apart :) and I love sonny Clark so goodens corner is a no brainer for me.

Edit: I see AP has a 45 of idle moments as well! Sorry for hijacking the MM thread with the nth round of AP vs MM blue note comparos.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    mikeyt likes this.
  15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Glad you are happy with Solid - The AP 45 of Green Street is awesome. So good I never even bothered opening my MM33. It sits on the shelf, still sealed.

recstar24 likes this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Currently listening to the title track. Holy smokes McCoy tyners solo, sounds like two pianists at the same time with that left hand rag comp thing he does below the right hand melodic improv. Sorry green McCoy stole the show on that one.

EDIT: Green takes back the show on the last track "The Kicker". Man he plays so confidently with so much fire!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Guitarded likes this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

If you want to seek out GG's harder edged or more high energy playing, you really need to go for his Organ Combo work. None of which has sadly been selected by the Audiophile labels except for two of his sessions with Larry Young. If you are into a Hard Bop bag, then these are the ones to look for;
    Grant's First Stand
    His Majesty King Funk - with Larry Young
    Iron City - with Larry Young
    Brothers Four - Great Hard Bop session with Sonny Stitt, Don Patterson and Billy James
    Stop And Listen - Baby Face Willette
    Face To Face - Baby Face Willette
    John Patton - Let Em Roll
    John Patton - Got A Good Thing Goin

Bryce, bluejimbop, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  18. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

For the last two years I've been evaluating two vintages of an XLR cable by a company. It has taken so long because I've enlisted reviewers, most from SHF on another thread, and it takes time to send out the files and collect their evaluations. To do this right, I needed also to make sure each XLR was conditioned for 200 hours. That takes a long time given the recording line. Finally, I'm about done. But I recorded 7 titles twice, once for each cable under review after suitable conditioning. My 96/24 recording line was from a JA Michell Gyro SE (Ortofon Cadenza Black on uni-pivot "the Woody" tonearm by Pete Riggle, Discovery IV wiring) to Whest PS.40RDT SE phono preamp to pro recorder Tascam DV-RA1000HD ( modded by Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades).

One of those title pairs was Dexter Gordon, Manha De Carnival, from Gettin' Around (2009), Blue Note – Music Matters, US RTI 45 RPM pressing.

All of the lps I selected for this test are very good, great recordings, several audiophile. But since I knew the key, I asked a buddy to evaluate the recording pairs for his preference at my place on my system. When Dexter's title came on, he asked me after a half a minute to pause the recording. He then said, "Wow! It's like having Dexter in the room. That is one magnificent recording." So I got to brag on Music Matters for a bit.

That is what Music Matter has done. Wow! It's like having the combo in your room.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  19. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Well, I got an answer from VMP to this question:
    "(...) from what source did Kevin Gray cut the Johnny Griffin 'A Blowin' Session' (2LP, 45RPM) from? Analog tape or digital files?"
    -
    "Hello,
    Source is original tapes. Enjoy!"

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Thanks very much for following up.

21. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Colored vinyl then?

22. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Too cryptic. "Original tapes" are to lp reissues what "all natural" is to packaged food.
    Ask them to confirm specifically that it's the original *analog master* tape.

23. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

I was thinking the same.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"Sourced" and "Cut from..." are, indeed, two different things.

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Why doesn’t one of you clever skeptics write to Kevin Gray?

mikeyt, GentleSenator and recstar24 like this.