Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I found a cassette of Rock Til You Drop the other day while cleaning out a cupboard and had forgotten I had it signed by the band. Think my vinyl copy is also signed. Had to sneak off work to go to HMV in Oxford Street for the signing session.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's a lot of tracks on the CD and tape that aren't on the vinyl.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Picked up my copy of RTYD for £1.99 in Flashback Records, London last year, second-hand. Plays great, love that album, shame its not a double tho to include the extra tracks.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The one in Islington? I love that shop.

5. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

1989: Perfect Remedy
    [​IMG]

1989-90: Perfect Remedy, Rockin’ All Over the Years & The Anniversary Waltz

1. Little Dreamer (Rossi/Frost) 4:05 L
    2. Not At All (Rossi/Frost) 2:54
    3. Heart On Hold (Bown/Phil Palmer)3:37
    4. Perfect Remedy (Rossi/Frost) 4:38 L
    5. Address Book (Rossi/Frost) 3:38
    6. The Power Of Rock (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi) 6:03 L
    7. The Way I Am (Edwards/Rich/Mike Paxman) 3:36
    8. Tommy’s In Love (Rossi/Frost) 3:01
    9. Man Overboard (Parfitt/Williams) 4:31
    10. Going Down For The First Time (Bown/Edwards) 4:01
    11. Throw Her A Line (Rossi/Frost) 3:34
    12. 1000 Years (Rossi/Frost) 3:31

2006 Bonus Tracks:

13. Gone Thru The Slips (Bown) 3:42 [B-Side of “Not At All”]
    14. Rotten To The Bone (Rossi/Bown) 3:41 [B-Side of “Little Dreamer”]
    15. Doing It All For You (Parfitt/Williams) 4:14 [B-Side of “Little Dreamer” 12”]
    16. Dirty Water (Live at the N.E.C. 1989) (Rossi/Young) 3:56 [B-Side “Anniversary Waltz, Pt. 2” 12”]
    17. The Power Of Rock (edited version) (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi) 4:44 [B-Side “Anniversary Waltz”]
    18. The Anniversary Waltz Part One L
    a. Let’s Dance (Jim Lee)
    b. Red River Rock (Traditional arr. Ira Mack/Tom King/Fred Mendelsohn)
    c. No Particular Place To Go (Chuck Berry)
    d. The Wanderer (Ernie Maresca)
    e. I Hear You Knocking (Pearl King/Bartholomew)
    f. Lucille (Al Collins/”Little” Richard Wayne Penniman)
    g. Great Balls Of Fire (Otis Blackwell/Jack Hammer)

Missing Bonus Tracks:

1. Fighting for Love [Early Version of “The Power of Rock”]
    2. Blondes Don't Lie [Studio Outtake]
    3. Sold [Studio Outtake]
    4. Little Lady (Live at the N.E.C. 1989) [mispressed Anniversary Waltz single]
    5. Paper Plane (Bray Studios 1990) [mispressed Anniversary Waltz single]
    6. The Anniversary Waltz Part Two
    a. Rock and Roll Music (Chuck Berry) L
    b. Lover Please (Billy Swan)
    c. That’ll Be The Day (Buddy Holly/Jerry Allison/Norman Petty)
    d. Singing The Blues (Melvin Endsley)
    e. When Will I Be Loved (Phil Everly)
    f. Let's Work Together (Wilbert Harrison)
    g. Keep On Knockin' (“Little” Richard Penniman)
    h. Long Tall Sally (Johnson/Otis Blackwell/Penniman)
    7. The Anniversary Waltz [Full Version]
    a. Rock and Roll Music (Chuck Berry)
    b. Lover Please (Billy Swan)
    c. That’ll Be The Day (Buddy Holly/Jerry Allison/Norman Petty)
    d. Singing The Blues (Melvin Endsley)
    e. When Will I Be Loved (Phil Everly)
    f. Let's Work Together (Wilbert Harrison)
    g. Keep On Knockin' (“Little” Richard Penniman)
    h. Long Tall Sally (Johnson/Otis Blackwell/Penniman)
    i. Let’s Dance (Jim Lee)
    j. Red River Rock (Traditional arr. Ira Mack/Tom King/Fred Mendelsohn)
    k. No Particular Place To Go (Chuck Berry)
    l. The Wanderer (Ernie Maresca)
    m. I Hear You Knocking (Pearl King/Bartholomew)
    n. Lucille (Al Collins/”Little” Richard Wayne Penniman)
    o. Great Balls Of Fire (Otis Blackwell/Jack Hammer)
    8. Anniversary Waltz Spanish Promo Version Side One
    a. Rockin' All Over the World
    b. Whatever You Want
    c. Rock 'n' Roll Music
    d. Lover Please
    e. Let's Dance
    f. Red River Rock
    g. Great Balls of Fire
    9. Anniversary Waltz Spanish Promo Version Side Two
    a. Rock 'n' roll Music
    b. Lover Please
    c. What You're Proposing
    d. Let's Dance
    e. Red River Rock
    f. Great Balls of Fire
    g. Rollin' Home

So Quo made another album. But this time everything was different. Pip apparently tried to stop or delay the release because he felt the LP needed more work done on it...

The first single “Not at All” was a nice rather laid-back shuffle track with a great and funny video, but did it impress any one? No, not at all.

When the LP was released, it didn't achieve anything near the expected success. Francis was particularly hit by this and started to question his abilities. The new manager David Walker felt vindicated and hence, the next decade of publicity stunts to ensure success and to remedy (ahem) the problematic financial situation.

“Little Dreamer” at least became a minor classic, even if it suffers from some awful production touches and repeats itself a bit too often. "The Power of Rock" often gets cited by fans as one of the best tracks after the classic era, but others don't like it at all...

The "Anniversary Waltz" single (which was recorded live in the studio) did mark Quo's last Top Ten hit and had everything that the following cover albums lacked: Drive, enthusiasm, a sense of fun and songs that fit Quo's style very well.

Steve Wright Unplugged 30/11/89

1. Red River Rock (unreleased)
    2. Rockin' All Over the World (unreleased)
    3. In My Chair
    4. Caroline
    5. From A Jack To A King
    6. Little Dreamer (unreleased)
    7. Down The Dustpipe
    8. Railroad

'Abracadigance', 7.4.1990

9. Address Book

Rocking All Over the Years – All Their Greatest Hits Live (1990)

1. Only You
    2. Pictures of Matchstick Men
    3. Caroline
    4. Roll Over Lay Down
    5. Little Lady
    6. In My Chair
    7. Little Dreamer
    8. Perfect Remedy
    9. Mystery Medley
    a. Mystery Song
    b. Railroad
    c. Most of the Time
    d. Wild Side of Life
    [Rollin’ Home]
    e. Again and Again
    f. Slow Train
    10. Hold You Back
    [Rain]
    11. The Power of Rock
    12. Dirty Water
    13. Whatever You Want
    14. In the Army Now
    15. Rockin’ All Over the World
    16. Don't Waste My Time
    17. Medley
    [Roadhouse Blues]
    a. The Wanderer
    b. Marguerita Time
    c. Living on an Island
    d. Break the Rules
    e. Something ‘Bout You Baby I Like
    [Roadhouse Blues]
    18. Burning Bridges
    [Blues Jam/Junior’s Wailing/Red River Rock/Pictures of Matchstick Men/Bye Bye Johnny]

Live at Knebworth

Even some of the FF fans are ready to admit that Quo played a blinder at Knebworth. Given that the festival also included other amazing performances – Tears for Fears (unbelievable: “Badman’s Song”), Phil Collins/Genesis, Eric Clapton/Dire Straits/Elton John, Pink Floyd (one of the best versions of “Comfortably Numb” ever) [and some less inspired ones by legends such as Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Robert Plant/Jimmy Page and Paul McCartney], both the video and the album are a must-have for any serious lover of British rock music.

Anniversary Waltz (A Celebration of 25 Rockin’ Years) (1991/2002)

1. Caroline 3:59
    2. Roll Over, Lay Down 5:20
    3. Little Lady 2:50
    4. Mystery Medley
    a. Mystery Song 2:13
    b. Railroad 1:31
    c. Most Of The Time 1:13
    d. Wild Side Of Life 2:04
    e. Rollin' Home 1:04
    f. Again & Again 1:12
    g. Slow Train 0:49
    5. Hold You Back 4:12
    6. Down Down 4:12
    a. Dirty Water 3:27
    b. Whatever You Want 4:11
    8. In The Army Now 4:09
    9. Rockin' All Over The World 3:47
    10. Don't Waste My Time 4:02
    11. Roadhouse Medley
    a. Roadhouse Blues 6:18
    b. Irish Hat Dance 0:19
    c. Mexican Hat Dance 0:20
    d. The Wanderer 1:40
    e. Marguerita Time 1:56
    f. Living On An Island 1:20
    g. Break The Rules 1:31
    h. Something About You Baby I Like 1:20
    i. The Price Of Love 0:51
    j. Roadhouse Blues 2:54
    k. The Happy Wanderer 0:04
    12. Burning Bridges 3:44
    13. The Anniversary Waltz (Medley)
    a. Let's Dance 0:54
    b. Red River Rock 0:21
    c. No Particular Place To Go 0:43
    d. The Wanderer 0:36
    e. I Hear You Knocking 0:43
    f. Lucille 0:47
    g. Great Balls Of Fire 1:51
    14. Review 4:59

Brit Awards Footage

15. Medley 3:53
    a. Caroline
    b. Down Down
    c. Whatever You Want
    d. Rockin' All Over The World
    16. Credits 1:57

Recorded at Butlin’s Minehead, 10 October 1990

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think Perfect Remedy is as bad as it's often made out to be. It's just another Quo album. It's more guitar based than the previous two with less keyboards. The production is weak and it plods in places but at least it sounds like Quo. I don't particularly care much to own it again but it's OK. If it had more energy and they turned the guitars up it would be better.

JulesRules likes this.
  7. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I missed Ain't Complaining? What a shame! When I was first getting into the Quo back in 1990 (I think), my nan bought me Ain't Complaining on CD. So I guess I have fond memories for that reason alone. Actually, they weren't fond memories as I didn't have any of their 70s albums on CD and I had to force myself to sit through that sh*te because it was a present - thanks nan!

Perfect Remedy - eh, a load of pap too though from memory I'd had it marked as a big improvement over Ain't Complaining. I vaguely remember it sounding largely pleasant but pretty tired and inoffensive.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think "Ain't Complaining" is mostly terrible.
    I like the title track, even though it's very dated now.
    I think "Every time I Think of You" is a fantastic song, albeit very un-Quo like and I also like "Burning Bridges".
    The rest I think sucks.

"Perfect Remedy" is also mostly terrible in my opinion.
    I love "Little Dreamer" and "Not At All" but that's about it.

9. JulesRules

With all due respect (and all due credit for your comments about the earlier stuff), I think it would do the thread better if you listened to some of that stuff with fresh ears :cool:

Personally I don't have any of the albums from this period (but if they get reissued again I will pick them up), so I simply refrain from commenting unless I know most of the tracks.

10. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

With all due respect, I went back and checked all of my reviews of these albums that I'd written on Rate Your Music before posting. My opinions on none of these albums were formed after just a couple of cursory listens - it was my way of saying that these albums are so bad I have no intention of listening to them again. I had a gap of about twenty years between listening to these albums and attempting to re-evaluate them so I have listened to them with fresh ears and they're still ****. Oh well I shall not bother here any more then.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

12. Almost Simon

Not At All i remember not liking at the time but this is an album i need to revisit.

The Power of Rock i remember being a staple of their live set in the 90's. Has been ages since i played it. Need to add to my Quo playlist.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

14. Almost Simon

The Power of Rock is a great tune. Shows they could still cut it. If I had the album i'd dig it out, will play on youtube tomorrow.

Now, i'm not saying its going to be a classic but proof again they still had it. And the next album is definitely one to look forward to.

Anniversary Waltz i don't have fond memories of. They played it every time live and it became tiresome.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. JulesRules

It was a suggestion, not a command. ;) And you have to admit those last couple of posts were not particularly impressive contributions, eh? Personally I always feel suspicious when somebody hates everything a favourite band has done after a certain point. While I'm not a huge fan of ITAN, there are songs on it that I like & others that I hate. I expect when I get around to the follow-ups, I will find the same situation. It's very rare that I hear an album by one of my favourite bands that doesn't have any redeeming features. But that's just me & fair enough if you actually feel that way. Hopefully you will stick around and chime back in when we get to the FF reunions (or when you come across something that you do like - I haven't read your RYM reviews of the post-85 stuff). :cool:

16. JulesRules

Unfortunately, from here on "live overexposure" would start to become a serious problem with Quo. Since I only started to see them live in the 2010s (and am not a big gigger anyway) it doesn't colour my experience, so I can say that Anniversary Waltz rocks! Still wish they had strayed away from more "cover projects".

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Almost Simon

Certainly I remember The Power of Rock from those early shows (Wembley 1991 for the Rock til you drop 4th show in a day was my first Quo show,) and remember it being played throughout the 90s along with Anniversary but not for a long time now.

I need to get copies of these albums, i may have certain tracks through borrowing from johns44 but i dont own them all to refer back to. But I will give them a listen.

Burning Bridges was another they played endlessly but seemingly now (or at least from the shows i attended in the past few years - which to be honest was 2 years of FF shows at Hammersmith then one show at 02 just before Rick sadly passed,) hasnt been played in a while.

I like Not At All. I think at the time i thought it was rather lame, as didnt seem very Quo but now over time i've come around to it. Power of Rock has always been a gem, i had long forgotten it but now will seek out and put on my Quo playlist. Great tune. They should play it now, perhaps they still do??

JulesRules likes this.
  18. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Been on hols for a few days, but time to do my bit for Perfect Remedy and a couple of the extra tracks.
    1. Little Dreamer (Rossi/Frost) 4:05 Grown to like this over the years. Hated it when I first got the album, but now I'd play it regularly
    2. Not At All (Rossi/Frost) 2:54 Same as Little Dreamer really only I have grown to really really like this, although it is a terrible choice for a single.
    3. Heart On Hold (Bown/Phil Palmer)3:37 always liked this one. Very different but for me very good.
    4. Perfect Remedy (Rossi/Frost) 4:38 L 4 Like it. very singalong but not amazing
    5. Address Book (Rossi/Frost) 3:38 Awful
    6. The Power Of Rock (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi) 6:03 Love it
    7. The Way I Am (Edwards/Rich/Mike Paxman) 3:36 Love it
    8. Tommy’s In Love (Rossi/Frost) 3:01 Awful
    9. Man Overboard (Parfitt/Williams) 4:31 Like it
    10. Going Down For The First Time (Bown/Edwards) 4:01 Awful
    11. Throw Her A Line (Rossi/Frost) 3:34 Awful
    12. 1000 Years (Rossi/Frost) 3:31 Awful

2006 Bonus Tracks:

13. Gone Thru The Slips (Bown) 3:42 [B-Side of “Not At All”] ok for a b side
    14. Rotten To The Bone (Rossi/Bown) 3:41 [B-Side of “Little Dreamer”] terrible
    15. Doing It All For You (Parfitt/Williams) 4:14 [B-Side of “Little Dreamer” 12”] terrible

I like 7 out of 12 on this so it should really be classed as a good album for me, however the production was horrible and the bad songs really are bad. Still rate it higher than 1982 or Back to Back.

Almost Simon likes this.
  19. Almost Simon

They needed to do a single edit of The Power of Rock as a single. That's the reason I disliked this at the time, Not At All is a poor single choice. Power of Rock with the big chorus would've been much better, album im sure would've done better too.

20. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

1. Little Dreamer (Rossi/Frost) 4:05 - It just turns into a word game. Why were so many later Quo singles irritating?
    2. Not At All (Rossi/Frost) 2:54 - Nice laid back tune. At this point I am wondering what happened to the rock band?
    3. Heart On Hold (Bown/Phil Palmer) 3:37 - Not listened to this for ages. It reminds me of something on a Trevor Rabin album. A bit prog in places. Interesting.
    4. Perfect Remedy (Rossi/Frost) 4:38 - Quo pop by numbers. Forgettable.
    5. Address Book (Rossi/Frost) 3:38 - Halfway to re-recording Marguerita time. Dire.
    6. The Power Of Rock (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi) 6:03 - Benefits from the edit later on the album bonus tracks. At least this feels like a proper rocking Quo tune.
    7. The Way I Am (Edwards/Rich/Mike Paxman) 3:36 - Predictable lyrics, not a great song. Decent groove. Could do with a bit of re-writing.
    8. Tommy’s In Love (Rossi/Frost) 3:01 - No no no. awful.
    9. Man Overboard (Parfitt/Williams) 4:31 - Again, Parfitt delivers something like a Quo tune. The others don't seem to keen to join in, though.
    10. Going Down For The First Time (Bown/Edwards) 4:01 - Poor. Lightweight throwaway bilge.
    11. Throw Her A Line (Rossi/Frost) 3:34 - Jeff Lynne meets the Everly Brothers and Quo are not involved. Yuk.
    12. 1000 Years (Rossi/Frost) 3:31 - Dreary, laboured.

2006 Bonus Tracks:

13. Gone Thru The Slips (Bown) 3:42 [B-Side of “Not At All”] - Better than a lot of stuff on the album. Formula Quo by numbers, but better than most of the album.
    14. Rotten To The Bone (Rossi/Bown) 3:41 [B-Side of “Little Dreamer”] - Again, something that actually sounds like Quo. They actually put their backs into this one. Chorus is a bit twee.
    15. Doing It All For You (Parfitt/Williams) 4:14 [B-Side of “Little Dreamer” 12”] - Again Rick delivers a Quo performance. The production on this whole lot is too clean and neat and sparkly.

Extra bonus tracks:
    Dirty water (live) 4.01 - Decent version of the song. You will all know this song.
    The power of rock (edited)4.44 - The edit with an amount of reverb. Benefits from the edit.
    Anniversary waltz (7" version) 5.31 - AW part 1. This is so good that it makes the rest of the album crawl away hanging its head in shame.

21. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I think at one point they contemplated The Power of Rock as a single, but again like quite a few Quo albums of the 80's/early 90's the record company pushed out the wrong ones.

22. Almost Simon

Terrible choice when you look back. The one song to advertise the album - Not At All?

Power of Rock is very Quo, what people would expect, what people would want, on TV appearances, even radio (although that support was diminishing back then,) there would've been more likelihood people getting on the back of this album. Silly decision when you think about it now.

23. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Just listening to Man Overboard on a spotify list and I've changed from just liking it to loving it. Typical Parfitt and even with the keyboards it's damn fine Quo with a couple of really great guitar breaks.

24. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

When's the next one going up?

JulesRules likes this.
  25. JulesRules

Today!

Almost Simon likes this.