Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Fyi, it’s still available at 24/192 at 7Digital. I just bought it yesterday. Cheap too. Same price as the 24/48...$14 and change.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  2. Refresh my memory—what album are we talking about here? I would like to check what sample rate I have. Thanks! Never mind—I see you are talking about moving pictures.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Wellers73 asked about Tom Sawyer in his original question to which Plan9 responded and so on, so I assumed Moving Pictures.

Nevermind...I just saw your nevermind.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  4. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I just also wanted to add my 'nevermind'... [​IMG]

Billy Budapest and marcb like this.
  5. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Are you guys talking about Nirvana in a Rush thread? :p

6. latheofheaven

DAMN! Busted... o_O

Billy Budapest and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Deja Vu all over again.

It was a cut-out the first time around too.

8. Well, Dave Grohl is a big Rush fan!

9. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

Have anyone compared the original 180 gram RTI pressed Snakes & arrows against the new reissue cut by Sean Magee?

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. latheofheaven

THAT I would really like to know too... Some guy is selling a sealed one right now about around $100 :)

Ninjur likes this.
  11. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

So I've been doing some shootouts the past few days. These are my findings, but I invite any and all to comment.

(I don't do vinyl, so all references to the Sean Magee masterings refer to the hi-rez downloads. Also, any references to other vinyl are needledrops I've collected. )

Rush s/t - Magee wins out over the 2014 vinyl. More focused.

FBN - I originally preferred the GK vinyl, but I've come to realize it is a bit on the crispy side. The Magee version is simply meatier, if a little darker.

COS - Tough call between the Anthem CD and Magee. But Magee wins out again due to greater meatiness.

2112 - I once preferred the MOFI. Then I switched to the Sector version. But the real battle was between the Anthem CD and Magee. I go with Magee for the more relaxed presentation.

AFTK - I didn't have many versions to compare this one to, but Magee's version seems to strike the right balance. It tames the highs a bit.

Hemispheres - Shootout between the SACD and Magee. The SACD has more high frequency detail, but the Magee has more focused bass. The Magee rocks harder.

PeW - Without a doubt the MOFI CD completely slays the Magee version. Fat, punchy bass while retaining the bite and edge of the original recording. Those who prefer darker recordings might like the Magee version better, but not me.

MP - The Magee version is no slouch by any means. It has more high frequency energy. But both the RL vinyl and the 03 WG Atomic beat it for slam.

Signals - This is where things start to get difficult. I compared the Sector version, the SHM, the MOFI and the Magee. It came down to the MOFI and the Magee. The MOFI is preferred if you are a bass player and want to hear every last bit of grit and growl from Geddy's bass, but the Magee version is overall a better presentation and more pleasing to the ears as a whole.

GUP - The Magee stands shoulders above the Japanese, the Sector, and the Atomic. It does have some volume issues, however, as others have noted. The Magee version is warmer than any other version. Punchy, too.

PW - My favorite Rush album. I used to favor the Japanese 35.8P because it tamed the brittle highs a bit and added a tad more bass, but Magee took that pattern even further and turned it into a beast. Power Windows never sounded better than Magee's version.

HYF - This one was tricky. There is no ideal version of this album. Each version has it's pluses and minuses. I compared the 97 remaster, the Boxset, a vinly, and Magee. After much deliberation I would have to say the Magee is the best compromise between all of them. Punchier bass with tamed highs.

Presto - Things get even more difficult here. I compared the 97 remaster, the Boxset version, the SACD and the Magee. Very close between the SACD and Magee. I can't make up my mind. Please make up my mind for me!

RTB - Similar to Presto, I found it very difficult to decide on this one. The 97 remaster is no slouch, the Boxset added more bass, the AF has greater clarity, and the Magee is very close to the AF. I'd probably go with the Magee but I'm open to other ideas on this one.

Counterparts - Compared the original CD, the Boxset, and the German Vinyl. The SACD is very detailed and clinical, which is nice, but the German vinyl had more bass, was more alive, and simply more engaging in general. I go with the German vinyl on this one.

This is the point where I get off the Rush train. I have difficulty listening to anything after Counterparts, and I say that as a hardcore fan. But I will say that I was disappointed with the Magee TFE. The Magee version is very dark and muted. It doesn't sound as alive as the original CD. I recall a poster here mentioned differences between the hi-res download and the vinyl, so that might be the cause.

Anyway, flame or inform away!

Geee!, scottp, RubenH and 11 others like this.
  12. I believe the 2014 reDISCovered Rush LP is the same mastering as the 2015.

Serapis Bey and JediJoker like this.
  13. latheofheaven

Thanks for giving us the benefit of your time and trouble Bro! :righton:

The only area where we criss / cross is that you kind of confirm my impression of McGee's Counterparts. Apparently, you preferred the German vinyl which is good to know... Bugger too, since I DO like that album out of their newer stuff...

Serapis Bey likes this.
  14. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Probably not apples to apples, but check out the AFTK Wilson 5.1 remix and prepare for the best!

Presto is a tricky pick. I go back and forth from the original Atlantic, SACD, & Magee. Still undecided.

15. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

Thanks, but all is not lost! I should have been more clear but I do not own the Magee Counterparts, so I was not able to compare. I was so happy with my SACD and German vinyl that I had a hard time believing Magee's would top them. But who knows? Magee's might be superior. I'm thinking I'll need to pick that one up to satisfy my OCD!

Yes, I do need to pick up that new AFTK pronto. Unfortunately my 5.1 system is packed away at the moment.

Agree on Presto. The SACD and Magee are very close.

DiabloG and latheofheaven like this.
  16. latheofheaven

Oh, I see... I went back and looked at what you said. Well, I'm happy for YOU that you have a nice vinyl pressing of Counterparts (VERY expensive now I would guess!) Trust me, if you are happy with that and the SACD, then skip the McGee one. At least the copy I had was just too compressed and bassless sounding. I had to send it back. Too bad, I really like the album. I WISH I could afford an original vinyl version. I would LOVE to hear your German one! :)

I had a McGee of Presto, and in that case I MIGHT have been a little hasty in sending it back. I was going under the impression that an original would definitely sound better, so I sent the new one back and snagged a nice, NM original. BUT... sadly, the original was even thinner and worse sounding. So, I sold that and I'm kind of wavering as to whether to get the McGee again. I went back and listened to the FLAC files again, and at the moment, I'm kinda think'n that I don't quite like the album enough to bother again. I don't know... I might change my mind again :)

Jam757 likes this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, been plowing through another Rush marathon and just finished up Power Windows original pressing which sounds fantastic. Truly amazing sound. Based on the other reviews on here I ordered a 2015 copy off Ebay for $12 including shipping. Too good to pass up and I want it for comparison sake, such a great album. The only new ones I currently don't own are Signals, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, and A show of Hands. Listening to an original NM condition ASOH right now, sounds amazing to these ears. What a band!

FashionBoy and latheofheaven like this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I've not yet heard a McGee Presto but it gets rave reviews on here. I own a German OP of that and am quite blown away by it, sounds stunning. However I do agree that the original mix is a bit thin sounding in the bass, just the way it was recorded. Presto might also be needed for comparison sake...

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Any other opinions on here of the A Show of Hands vinyl reissue? What a kick ass album!!!

20. latheofheaven

Yeah, my original Signals and Power Windows THANKFULLY sound really good, so no temptation there to spin the chamber for the new ones :)

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Umm, I don’t think there were any 1997 remasters for Presto, Roll The Bones or Counterparts.

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I believe he means the 2004 remasters. It's easy to mistake the Atlantic remasters for being part of the '97 compaign thanks to each album having the same "Rush Remasters" text on the tray.

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That makes sense

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yes, agree. It's more of a vinyl addict fascination with comparing versions. I'll almost always reach for an original though even though I love this entire reissue series.

25. latheofheaven

Heh... I know... all you VINYL FANATICS are having a horrible influence on me and you all are really starting to wear me down! Normally, being very poor, I've always been very selective about which albums I buy and I DON'T usually have multiple pressings of many albums (or at least I DIDN'T... [​IMG] Thank you very much Caress of Steel and 2112!) But, I just couldn't help it... I just had to snag this new, sealed MFSL version of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew although I have a very nice older UK pressing that blows away the recent Legacy release (although that is a decent release) BUT... I just HAVE to know how this MFSL version sounds!

I know... HOPELESS! [​IMG]

Jam757 likes this.