The Police - filler

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i have always wondered this about "once upon a daydream," a really atmospheric track that would have fit well on synchronicity (imho)...

smitquest

Sir Talbot Buxomly likes this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Yeah it beat out Rush’s YYZ . Not sure I comprehend why. Then again the Grammys is more of a popularity contest.

Dave and Spear and Magic Helmet like this.
  3. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I wouldn't call O'My God filler at all. To me it's one of the best songs they ever recorded.

Instant Dharma, Suncola and vudicus like this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

These songs didn't even come out in the same year, so it will remain a mystery.

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I have a very strict view of "filler." The only thing that I consider filler is a track that the artist literally made up on the spot more or less,* without much thought put into it, and solely for the purpose of filling up time, because the record company said that they needed more material for the album. Filler tracks are not necessarily bad tracks at this. Some artists can jam off-the-cuff and do something very worthwhile.

Filler is relatively rare. Although really, it's difficult to know that something is filler without a statement saying as much from an artist.

There aren't any Police tracks that I consider filler.

* Footnote: I say "more or less" because something like, "Hey, I've had this riff kickin' around for awhile that I could never figure out what to do with--let's try jamming on that for a bit" wouldn't disqualify something as filler, even though they didn't make up the riff in question on the spot.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Finally !
    Reading through these posts, I was wondering who would mention “deep cuts”.
    That’s not the same as “filler”.

Such songs can distinguish and elevate a “hit single band” to the next level - a group with good, possibly great albums.

The Police’s catalog is just that.

7. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

I’ve only considered most of the instrumentals and anything Sting didn’t sing on to be filler. Some of the tracks that have been mentioned here rank among my favorites by the band. Oh My God, Bombs Away, Canary In A Coalmine, Does Everyone Stare…all great tunes.

The closing sequence of Omega Man > Secret Journey > Darkness on GITM is a fantastic. Actually, the whole second side of the album is wonderful and it contains no hits!

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You were thinking about filler and listening to Canary in a Coalmine? Interesting. That’s my favorite song on Zenyata.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident

Bombs Away is a killer track, amazing bassline! Also a bit of a dance club hot in NY circles.

10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Fun story - one of my earliest memories was when I was christened , aged two (done at the same time as my brother who was probably six months), and singing 'Message In A Bottle' during the actual christening.

Nothing to do with this thread, but it's Police-related, so thought it'd be a decent place to put it.

JuanTCB likes this.
  11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

From where I sit, there are three "tiers" of Police tracks:

1. The hits
    2. Album tracks - "filler" is subjective, but of the album tracks, I'd say the "filler" are perhaps some of the instrumental pieces. But even then, not all of those.
    3. B-sides - some of these are pretty rad in their own right ("Lowlife"), but for the most part, they made the right call as to what was designated as a b-side. I think "Someone To Talk To" is a cool tune, but in a strange way it belongs on a flip side, even while "Mother" is an album track.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. geddyfleaharris

geddyfleaharris Forum Resident

Not sure if these are fillers or not - but I can't recall them as singles/airplay of any kind:

Man in a Suitcase
    Murder by Numbers
    Truth Hits Everybody
    Tea in the Sahara
    Miss Gradenko
    Darkness
    Voices Inside My Head

13. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Holerbot6000, post: 17827590, member: 54941" but Synchronicity is a snooze fest.
    [/QUOTE]

Good lord only for the attention deficict afflicted.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  14. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Tea in the Sahara, Voices inside my head and Murder by Numbers are just some of the best of The Police IMHO

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Sting was born in 1951.

andrewskyDE and Szeppelin75 like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Andy was born in 1942

andrewskyDE and gregorya like this.
  17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Good lord only for the attention deficict afflicted.[/QUOTE]
    Now now. Just because it's busy and frenetic doesn't necessarily make it interesting. To each their own though, of course. I'm clearly in the minority on that one and I can live with the stigma of it just so long as I don't have to listen to those songs anymore. :nyah:

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Actually I agree with your thread title...... :hide:

johnnybrum likes this.
  19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Yet it won a Grammy for best rock instrumental, IIRC...

20. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have the box set with apparently everything they recorded on it
    There is definitely some clunkers especially some of the B sides

21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I couldn't imagine cutting any track from the first and the last albums-----all killer (maybe context is required in a few cases).

Ryan Lux likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Most of the stuff mentioned here as filler...I would not consider filler.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Murder by Numbers to be my favorite song from Synchronicity. I had the 45 single and often wondering why it wasn't on the album. It could have easily gone in place of Mother. What a dreadful song Mother is :rolleyes:!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  24. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I read that they recorded Murder By Numbers in one take. Anyone know if that's true?

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I only love the first half and the reprise part in the end.^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.