Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Yes, yes, and yes!

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

...And a fourth yes, just for emphasis! I would love to see an official release from the '77 tour, even if it's the g-ddamn Seattle video.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Yes, that is indeed the reason.

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Only the June 7th show from MSG has even turned up as a raw SBD tape and NONE of the LA shows has (thankfully, all of them exist in AUD tapes, most from Mike Millard and in superb quality. Only the June 22nd tape is a bit rough).

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Well, I mean it is worth remembering that the purpose of those box sets (also Floyd) to set up copyrights on the live/session/unreleased/previously bootlegged material going forward....

I think, being the collector that he is, it is reasonable to assume that Page took note of that...

rockclassics and snipe like this.
  6. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

No expected How The West Was Won. There was a multi track no had even speculated on existing. I'm not sure we can say for sure there are no multitracks of 77 or 80

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There is always the possibility that something surprising will materialize, but Kevin Shirley essentially confirmed which tapes were reviewed during the production of HTWWW/DVD and through deductive reasoning, fans pretty much have figured out what is there. Shirley also verified nothing was multitracked from the ‘77 tour.

8. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I hadn't seen that Shirley verified nothing from 77 was multitracked.

Alan57 likes this.
  9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I don't think JP has the will, time and energy to work on a very large project now. I think we will mist probably get something he has already worked on previously like EC or Southampton.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

This is complete fantasy and probably not possible... but imagine a "Going to California" boxset with a multidisk set featuring at least 1 Los Angeles tour date per tour! That would be amazing lol

11. I like your style

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

We have "How the West was Won" so I believe we're getting "How the East was Won". Something from Japan in 1971.

andrewskyDE and rockclassics like this.
  13. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Would love a set from LA 77 - some great stuff, luckily Mike Millard was there.

What I suspect will happen, following the model used by Dylan and others, and coincidentally what I think is best from Zep in 2018:

A 2 or 3 cd set that chronologically compiles the best of their live history, with a pricey "deluxe" version featuring full shows and a silly book of some kind. It will cost a fortune, but the download will be affordable enough for fans. Think of what dedicated fans paid for bootlegs back in the day?? There's sure as hell a market for unreleased soundboards not to mention multitracks.

But for the public, a set that spanned their career would be ideal, and likely a smash hit. The world still needs (craves) digestible pieces of greatness. So many great songs, so many stunning performances. Page deteriorated to such an extent over their run that such an approach is risky - another reason for a well-compiled collection rather than a full concert - but their repertoire expanded so much over the years that excluding the bulk of their career for an early show, even an inspired one, seems destined to miss the mark.

Also, John Paul Jones' website will soon start selling access to an audio stream of his piano solos from No Quarter during 75 and 77. It will never repeat a performance, and it will never end. Keys to quantum physics will be found within this paradox which advance the species by millennia. LZ a footnote by comparison.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    jlf, ElevatorSkyMovie, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I haven’t scrolled through 15 pages, but we can always hope for the rerelease of the
    Ludwig cut of LZ II

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. ohnothimagen

:yikes:Is this for real? If so, that's awesome! Good on yer, Jonesy!:righton:

PJayBe likes this.
  16. If Zep ever put out their catalog in 5.1 on a DVD or Blu Ray (similar to the Excellent Jethro Tull sets) they should absolutely include a needle drop of the Zep II RL.

rockclassics and Groggy like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

For me the only thing worse than being trapped hearing the bass player's piano solo for ever would be a never ending '75 era drum solo.
    Re Zep boots although the deluxe style packages are as expensive as ever there are a lot of cheaper versions of classic titles available out there in that alternative universe. I do believe though that Led Zep can sell big (for this day and age) numbers of a really good deluxe set. Hopefully it would be much better than the big Floyd box which in my opinion (and a couple of friends who bought it) was pretty poor.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Yeah - all that creative energy going in to his solo album.

Wait a minute though........ :faint:

19. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I really wish they would.... can’t see it happening after the deluxe releases

20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I seriously wish they included a full half hour version of Moby Dick from Madison Square Garden`73.

footlooseman likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

It's hilarious that when it came to "Moby Dick" on the Song Remains The Same soundtrack, they used less than half of the night's performance!

I can handle a half hour John Bonham drum solo as long as it's interesting...I remember stumbling across the May 26 '77 Landover soundboard with the 36 minute drum solo: "Wow! Thirty six minutes! I gotta hear this!" and being bored silly. Even Bonham sounds bored on that one:laugh:

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have always loved that chopped up version on the original Song Remains The Same.I have listened to the soundboards from all three nights and Bonzo is playing wild and inventive all the way through.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

Yes - I think Pink Floyd overcame similar problems

24. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

The '77 drum solos aren't that technically interesting, no. Bonzo sounds like he's run out of inspiration, compared to the brilliance of the '72 era solo on HTWWW

25. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

Pretty sure they didn't play Philly in 77 and Oakland was the last show of that tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.