Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A lot of work ? A couple of clicks is not work at all. :laugh: Did I read any of them ? No, I wasn't the one wondering if the song had ever been mentioned. I was just trying to help.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Some bands could use a little humbleness

4. Shagglebomb

Shagglebomb Active Member

Hello
    I've been enjoying looking through the GFR related posts today, as a GFR friend reminded me about this killer Hoffman site. This may be a daunting request I have and maybe even unfair, but I was wondering ....... is there a nice, compiled listing assembled by anyone that shows the BEST OF THE BEST sounding Grand Funk LP pressings to look out for. And also CDs!

For example I have a Japanese pressing of "On Time" which sounds way better than any other LP or CD of the same title, that I own. I've got all the standard "green label" Capitals etc and recently had a German pressed Survival LP which was not impressive sounding. Are the "Past Master" Japanese CD's definitely the best sounding to look out for? What about the Rhino compilation etc? The CD remasterers from about 10 years ago seemed to sound a little shrill when I A/B'd some years ago.

I'm talking about GFR's entire catalog of work. Has anyone heard the recently released 180 gram version of Closer to Home? How does it sound? Is it from digital files? In looking through these posts, I didn't really see a compilation of info on GFR's releases. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

For CD's look no further than the Japan discs (Past Masters, Super Masters (TOCP prefix) or Cool Price series). They sound great. The Past Masters series did not include the entire early catalogue. I have listed what I have purchased below.

Grand Funk (Red Album) Japan CP-21 Pastmasters
    Live Album CP-19 Pastmasters
    On Time CP-21 Pastmasters
    Phoenix TOCP Pastmasters II
    We're An American Band CP21 Pastmasters
    Closer To Home TOCP Cool Price - 2 Bonus tracks
    Shinin' On TOCP Pastmasters II
    Survival Japan TOCP
    Closer To Home TOCP 1993
    All The Girls In The World Beware!! TOCP Cool Price
    Caught In The Act Japan Pastmasters II
    E Pluribus Funk Japan TOCP

One more to look for:
    Mark Don & Mel Iconoclassic 2 CD

6. Shagglebomb

Shagglebomb Active Member

THANKS BERRY!!!!

7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

BTW, I have the Music on Vinyl LP for sale in the Classifieds at a reasonably discounted price from brand-new. It is confirmed digital.

I have three LP copies - an original, an orange Capitol reissue and an 80's Capitol green label reissue.

This new one has a very nice soundstage and midrange but I found it lacking in deep bass like my original has. It also has a super quiet playing surface which my original does not have.

I also have various CD's of this album, and the Japanese is the clear winner. The original Capitol CD was just plain awful!

So this would be a HUGE improvement for someone who has the original Capitol CD and wanted a clean LP copy, but if you've already got the "go to" copies, I don't see this as a necessity.

eelkiller likes this.
  8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Fixed.

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Welcome to the forum!

GFR have been discussed here a LOT - if you do a search on Grand Funk you will see 4 pages of posts/threads, many of them dealing with the best lp/cd versions.
    Yes, the remasters, while packaged beautifully and from the best sources, are generally frowned upon here due to the brickwalling/loudness. The Japan 1st pressings are considered by many here, myself included, to be the best cd versions. Not all of GFR's albums were released on cd before the loudness wars, however, so it can be challenging to find the best cd, and sometimes there's only 1 or 2 choices.
    Don't "do" vinyl myself but original lp pressings, if you can find any in good shape for a reasonable price, should be what you'd want, I would think.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've got a question. I see at Wikipedia that "I'm Your Captain (Closer To Home)" was released as a single that ran 5:31, while the full album version runs 9:58. I've got the Collectors Series comp, which uses the full version. Looking at different Grand Funk cd's online, I don't see the single version anywhere. Has this ever been released on CD?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Yes The CP21's are the ones to have. No remasters! Horrible!

Metalrob likes this.
  12. jsayers

Japan.

Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home »

Dave likes this.
  13. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

On time was a favorite for me along Mel on the cover of the red album

14. jsayers

So what's the deal with the 2003 US cd reissue of All The Girls In The World being out of print and fetching the huge bucks? I see someone here has a WTB in the classifieds for one as well. Figures the one that gets valuable is the one of two I didn't buy when the remasters came out. The other one was Shinin On. That one's still cheap and plentiful...

Anyway, I found this very strange , maybe not many were pressed of that title?

Grand Funk Railroad -All the Girls in the World Beware!! (CD, Feb-2003) RARE New »

https://www.amazon.com/Girls-World-...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1472701342&sr=1-1

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Myke

Pulled out the original vinyl, and the Japan CDs, and once again, it's time to celebrate Mark's music.

CP21-6037 - On Time - love how I didn't have to turn down the volume, from it's usual -15 I listen to Netflix through. With lesser CDs, I have to go as low as -25, but not with a Pastmaster. :hugs:

Dave, Metalrob and dasacco like this.
  16. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I'm going to have to open my "Trunk of Funk Vol. 1" I got for Christmas.

Matthew Tate, Metalrob and dasacco like this.
  17. Myke

Into The Sun was so perfect for an 11 year-old boy, used to being around various Chicago garage bands, all my life, up to that point.

This is timeless.

dasacco likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

grand funk railroad SHOULD have been in the rock hall years ago.

what a band, they were a phenomenon, culturally praised, critically panned.

i think they are great.

and to think they were spawned by terry knight and the pack.

Spadeygrove, Todd W. and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I had all the albums up to survival. I can listen to 3 or 4 of their songs these days.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

My first time seeing them.

Civil disobedience continued throughout the early 70s. The city of Anaheim was proud of their new Convention Center, which was used for large conventions, special shows and exhibits and concerts. Off-duty officers of the Anaheim Police Department were able to supplement their income by providing necessary security at many of these special events. On November 1,1970, a concert was held on the arena of the Anaheim Convention Center featuring the musical group "Grand Funk Railroad." Crowds attending this concert had grown too large and could not be accommodated inside the arena. Officers on hand had to contend with an angry and hostile group of youths intent on seeing their favorite rock group. Upset at not being able to purchase tickets to this sold out event, the crowd began to smash plate glass windows and doors of the Convention Center. Anaheim's officers found themselves overwhelmed by the multitude of youths.

At 10:25 p.m., "Code Charlie Checkmate" was activated throughout Orange County requesting aid from other police agencies. Anaheim Police Officers barricaded themselves inside the main entrances behind concrete pillars, holding off the angry crowd by spraying canisters of Mace at them until backups arrived.

Within a short time help arrived in the form of hundreds of police officers from the cities of Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos, Laguna Beach, La Palma, Newport Beach, Orange, Placentia, Santa Ana, San Clemente, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin and Westminster Police Departments along with the California Highway Patrol and Orange County Sheriffs Department and Orange County Animal Control. When the riot was over, 382 law enforcement officers had come to help control the crowd. The assistance was overwhelming to even the most experienced officers. A Sheriffs Sergeant told the newspaper media, "I never saw so many officers in my life!"
    Reply Reply All Forward

21. Myke

Posts rarely expire if the thread is still open. :laugh:

Matthew Tate, jsayers and Spitfire like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I finally got the 30 years of funk 3 cd boxset on the way to me as we speak

Joti Cover and Spadeygrove like this.
  23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

You should seek out E Puribus Funk and We're An American Band. Both are excellent albums.

Dave, Matthew Tate and Spadeygrove like this.
  24. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

My first big concert was GFR. It was in '73 when I was 18. It was there first tour with Craig Frost as they were touring for the Phoenix album. The opening act was a band called Bulldog. They had a minor hit out at the time called 'No'. When it was time for GFR to take the stage they started flashing this huge strobe light to the sound of a locomotive starting. It started slow and got faster and faster until a spotlight came in and they're was Mark Garner with his guitar around his neck, and standing behind the keyboard hitting the first notes of Flight Of The Phoenix that morphed into Footstomping Music...and they didn't let up the entire show. It was a high energy show to say the least.

Fast forward to '97 when I got to see them on their reunion tour at the Tennessee Theater. This time my kids were with me as they were teenagers at the time. I had bought a pair of tickets that were in the second row in the floor, and I had win a pair from a radio contest simply by calling in and giving them the name of GFRs bass player.

I've got all of their records up through E. Pluribus Funk, and their Bosinia, WAAB, and Thirty Years of Funk on CD.
    I always have, and always will be a fan. ;)

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I love this band. Many lovers of rock n roll don't realize how big these guys were. They sold out Shea Stadium (July 9, 1971) faster than the Beatles. What????

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.