Part-Time Audiophile Best of the Year Awards

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Who are "the world's top engineers" (I assume you mean audio and audio electronic engineers)?

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I have no idea. I looked at the winners in the December issue and didn't see either of those items. Where did you see this? (I don't usually read the tt/vinyl stuff.)

3. putz

putz Forum Resident

First weekend in November. Only 300 days away.

LeeS and Tullman like this.
  4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The editor is welcome to pay me a consulting fee.

There are better options online for those of us who don't care for Stereophile. I do like to have a physical magazine though. I appreciate the fact that it's impossible to please everyone. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to attract great writers who become "must read". I don't know what the hierarchy is in the magazine business for writers, but it sure isn't audio. A shame, really. There should be an emphasis on great writing and two channel stereo components. Entertain. Inform. It's not that hard. Positive Feedack, for example, is actually informative.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

An editor of STEREOPHILE is reaching out to you. Show some respect.

BGLeduc, macster and LeeS like this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Which part was disrespectful? Respectfully. Constructive criticism isn't always warm and fuzzy. I shouldn't be expected to be eloquent.

Genuine, real world audiophile hobbyists are demonized everywhere on social media, including here. Maybe help out those of us care and create a culture to be proud of. I'm "the guy" who has a decent percent of everything you've mastered on CD or SACD and a dedicated room with acoustic treatment, power conditioning, NOS tubes, etc. Etc.

Easier to lash out unfairly though. Well done, Steve.

7. Kal Rubinson

That's OK. I am not so much reaching out to him as suggesting that, if he has the slightest intention of having his suggestion have any effect, he should reach out to the editor of the publication. Else, he accomplishes nothing.

LeeS likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I just followed the link in the first post- then went to News and Reviews / Reviews / All.
    The page appears to have all of the publication's reviews for Analog, Cables, Components, Digital, etc.
    I did not see any reviews listed for the Technics 'table or the VPI phono preamp.
    I did search the site for "VPI Voyager" and found a link to a press release and the best of the year column. I searched for "Technics SL 1200G" and found more press releases and audio show reports.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Sometimes awards are done without a review because the reviewer is familiar with its performance or there is a review in progress. In my own award for the Empire Ears Zeus, a review is coming out soon. Sometimes we mention that in the award text. I know that for many of these awards, the gear has been at the writer's home.

10. Kal Rubinson

I was mistaken in thinking, due the lack of an explicit reference in your post and due to it being situated in a tangential group of posts, that your question was related to awards given by Stereophile and my response, after a little research through Stereophile, reflected that misapprehension. Using your reference, it was revealed to me that you were referring to "Part-Time Audiophile Best of the Year Awards" which, of course, is the topic of this thread. I apologize.

LeeS likes this.
  11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

It is more inclusive to include
    That may be partly my fault Kal, as I was slow to respond.

12. Kal Rubinson

Not an problem.

LeeS likes this.
  13. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

Comes with a famous bridge on the West Coast.

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No more or less so than Stereophile, IMHO. Like all the audio mags, whatever their format, it depends on the reviewer and editor; one has to know their tastes and philosophies and use that to “interpret” reviews and columns. The only place that doesn’t seem to work is The Absolute Sound, where most of the reviewers, and definitely the editor, have opinions that seem to shift with the wind and are not grounded in any reality with which I am familiar

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Don't mention it. At first I thought that Part-Time Audiophile might be part of the Stereophile / HomeTechNetwork publishing umbrella but I guess not. Peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.