Record pitch is too low

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grant Halliday, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant Halliday

Grant Halliday Forum Resident Thread Starter

For Christmas my girlfriend got a new record player (Pro-ject Essential III) and a bunch of new records. For the most part its been a huge upgrade on her last turntable (Crosley Cruiser). She's having trouble with one of her new records though - If You Wait by London Grammar. The pitch is far too low, which is most noticeable on the vocals. At first she thought it was a man singing rather than the usual woman. Her other records seem to be playing fine, does that mean its a problem with the record? Its a double album, and the problem appears across all four sides.

Cheers!

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

3. Grant Halliday

Problem solved! Cheers for that. Feel a bit daft now. We're both relatively new to this vinyl game. It did cross my mind to get her to play it at 45 rpm, but I was under the impression that that speed was pretty much only used for singles. You learn something new every day!

Kyhl and SteelyNJ like this.
  4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You remind me of a story where a DJ who was playing a new Boston song on the radio (forgot which song, sorry) but they played it at 45RPM instead of 33.3 in error. The introduction to the song was killer, it sounded really great until the chipmunks started singing. :D

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Grant, did she get the acrylic platter?

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Isnt there a classical DJ story about someone who was so stubborn minded that he kept playing 45s in 33RPM saying it sounded good?

7. Leonthepro

Welcome to the forum by the way and good upgrade from the Crosley!
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask, no question is dumb. Although preferably you should search for your question in the top right first, just to not repeat threads on the same topics in case there already is one, Im sure you understand ;^)

8. Grant Halliday

She did! When she used it for the first time she said it sounded like a CD (meant as a compliment, because she'd been so used to all the surface noise off the Crosley!)

9. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Nice! WhatHiFi said that the acrylic platter makes the Essential III "essentially" a coin flip with the Rega Planar 1. The gift giver done did good!

10. Leonthepro

It all depends on the rest of the setup and personal taste and I think nearly whatever table she got would have been a satisfying upgrade.

11. Grant Halliday

Yeah it was that review that decided it for me. The Crosley was horrible, hardly anything played at the correct pitch consistently, not sure if it was defective or just incredibly sensitive. Neither of us are audiophiles, all I wanted was a record player that sounds good and plays the records correctly without damaging them. A horrible record player can really suck the fun right out of record collecting, so its nice to have a record player that does the trick and makes you want to listen to it!

Kyhl, SpeedMorris and Leonthepro like this.
  12. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hopefully she didn't do too much damage to her records using that Crosley! Enjoy the new Project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.