'Animaniacs' Revived at Hulu With 2-Season Order

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/animaniacs-revived-at-hulu-2-season-order-1071663

Animaniacs' Revived at Hulu With 2-Season Order

JANUARY 04, 2018
    1:00pm PT by Lesley Goldberg

The streamer is teaming with Amblin Television and Warner Bros. Animation to revive the animated series with Steven Spielberg on board to exec produce.

Twenty years after it wrapped its run on The WB Network, Hulu, Warner Bros. Animation and Amblin Television are reviving Peabody Award-winning animated comedy Animaniacs with a two-season, straight-to-series order at Hulu.

Under the deal, Hulu has also landed the library rights to Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, the subsequent Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, and the complete Tiny Toon Adventures collection. Those episodes are available to stream now, with the new Animaniacs set to begin rolling out in 2020 in what Hulu is billing as its first original series made specifically for families.

Steven Spielberg will executive produce alongside Warner Bros. Animation president Sam Register, Amblin Television co-presidents Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. Fan favorite characters like Pinky and the Brain will also return alongside the Warner brothers Yakko and Wakko and sister Dot.

"We cannot wait to work with Steven Spielberg and the entire Amblin and Warner Bros. teams to bring more sketches, catchphrases, songs and laughs from the Animaniacs to kids and adults everywhere,” said Craig Erwich, senior vp content at Hulu. “Now one of the most beloved, inventive and funny animated franchises in history, Animaniacs and its cast of witty characters can live on, on Hulu. This marks yet another big move for us as we continue our efforts to be the No. 1 streaming destination for premium animated content."

Animaniacs debuted in 1993 and went on to win eight Daytime Emmys. The series launched a number of spinoffs and wrapped its run in 1998. The revival joins a Hulu kids-focused library that also includes Teen Titans Go, Curious George, The Powerpuff Girls, Doozers, Adventure Time, Doc McStuffins, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and more.

"I am so pleased and proud that Animaniacs will have a home at Hulu,” Spielberg said. “Together with Warner Bros., we look to bring new audiences and longtime fans into this wild world of Yakko, Wakko and Dot. I am also excited that the full library of Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures episodes are included in the deal.”

Reboots and revivals continue to remain in high demand as broadcasters and streaming platforms alike look for proven titles with an ability to cut through a crowded landscape that is approaching 500 scripted originals. Key to the reboots is having the original producers involved, which is the case with Spielberg, Warner Animation and Amblin for Animaniacs.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Are the original voices coming back?

3. AKA

It’s a safe bet everyone will be back. Rob Paulsen and Maurice LaMarche both posted about the new reboot on their social media, so that’s at least a good sign.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This show was pure comedy genius!

5. AKA

Hopefully the subtle (and not-so-subtle) adult humor will remain intact.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Shame I don’t have Hulu.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I will have to wait for it on dvd..I don't do streaming..
    I own all seasons of pinky and the brain and animaniacs.
    So it's wait and see how well the animation fair's I hope
    it don't look cheap or CGI oh god.
    And can they really get away what they did all those years ago..
    Watching video commentaries I don't think so.. it was a different time.

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Another I forgot to mention as Vidiot, said which I didn't know about.
    Animaniacs was very expensive cartoon for it's time ..
    I can tell now looking back it.. So ... I'm not too hyped, as quality animation
    is basically extinct .. I don't really know how Hulu can afford this.

9. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

10. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Great news! Such a clever show!!

11. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I hope they keep "Good idea, bad idea". That was my favorite part of the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.