Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm so glad JJ is back. He got "Star Wars" tonally correct.

I know The Force Awakens was derivative, but think about it, guys -- a war in space movie with the good guys trying to blow up the bad guys. How different can you be if you want to end with a BANG! like a good "Star Wars" movie? It's like saying action hero movies are all the same because he kills the villain and gets the girl. Well, they are.

2. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Disagree. He was tone deaf.

You use that word, but I don't think you know what it means. The word you are looking for is 'plagiarized.'

Here is the synopsis for The Force Awakens: Star Wars (film) - Wikipedia Just replace "Starkiller Base" anytime you see "Death Star"

I guess if I have to say anything not mean, it can't be any worse than Rian Johnson? Can it? Seriously, Rian, that movie was turrible. How you coaxed The Mouse into a 3 film deal is beyond me.

And @GeorgeLucas, I betcha wish you had not sold out to Steamboat Wille.

Deesky, Solaris and enro99 like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You are a joy.

Rhett and Encuentro like this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This new movie was the same damn plot again. So was Rogue One. Any of these movies are going to end with the big duel or the big POW! to please the popcorn chewing masses. Anyone who spends endless time griping about the purity of the Star Wars universe just needs to get a life or go back to trading Star Star Wars cards. The Last Jedi thread is now the usual pointless, child like morass of debate about the intricacies of the Stars Wars world. Who cares? I look at the films. They started as films and should be treated as films, not holy scripture. The million ripoff comics, cartoons, and novelizations (which are always just junk) are sideline throwaways that companies put out to bilk nerds. I judge the quality of the films, and I judge each one for what it is. TFA was a beautifully made film and felt like Lucas and Kasdan. JJ respected Kasdans script. You can hear it. Rogue was a a cheap actioner that looked and sounded like it was co-produced by S Korea, and TLJ was just cheap rushed junk that met Disney’s production line rollout If JJ Abrams was tone deaf, the director of Rogue one and TLJ were blind, deaf, and extremely dumb. Abrams is the only one who can save this series out of the nobodies they also have directing.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Vidiot, daca and Al Smith like this.
  5. daca

I forgot who does this, but I am "borrowing" i.e. plagiarizing his style. And I'm not trying to troll, just responding to your response.

Disagree. TLJ was worse. It was a rip off of Battlestar Galactica. Which was a rip-off of Star Wars. So TLJ is a rip-off, of a rip-off.

No. Never. Ever. It will never end.

The Mouse must always answer to its master. Wall Street. At this point, releasing a Star Wars-related movie is like printing money.

Agree. But a little harsh.

Agree.

And I treat no film like the Holy Scripture. In fact, scholars and theologians can't even agree on that.

Agree. I thought TFA was Star Wars 2.0 and did not care for it. TLJ was just a terrible movie.

The funniest thing about TLJ was how Mark Hamill was trashing the film, and Rian Johnson for months. Then all of a sudden, does a 180 degree turn on a dime. That shows you the power of a) money (contractual points for Hamill) and b) how powerful the Mouse is of shutting up high profile people who dissent.

I say something, no one cares. Hamill says something, he has millions and tens of millions, or more who listen.

If I want a good Kasdan script, I will go watch The Empire Strikes Back. Not a rehash of Star Wars.

Not touching this.

Agree.

Agree. Although I did love the Vader scenes in Rogue, and while I didn't like the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue, his actions were certainly on point.

Disagree. There are a lot of good directors out there. But The Mouse is not willing to risk anything it doesn't have to with Star Wars. It will let jj direct a relative "safe" script and make a billion domestically, gobs of money internationally and tons of money in merchandising.

And then there will be an Episode X. Then XI. Then, well you get the point.

6. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I don't care what Hamill said before or now. While flawed, I feel that The Last Jedi is good. I have seen it twice already. I will buy it on blu ray and watch enjoy it at home in a few months. I do laugh at all of reasons that that some people don't like the film having to do with Disney, when the reality is that the movie doesn't do what a bean counter at Disney would call for, which is check off all of the boxes... certainly don't kill the big bad leader, don't turn Jedi dogma upside down etc etc.

Too many fans are too rigid. Oddly many hated that - in that they felt that TFA was a remake of Hope and yet when Last Jedi does unexpected things, that's not cool with them either.

A lot of the story was built on what happened in the saga. It's not like Luke's points weren't based in accuracy. Yoda, Ben and Luke failed in their own way etc.

There's a lot of failure in the film, just as there was in Empire.

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I don't disagree with everything you say, but I must take issue with one thing: the comics are absolutely not junk. Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader run was exceptional, as was Charles Soule's Lando miniseries. There was some fantastic characterization and storytelling happening there.

8. daca

The “bean counter” at The Mouse doesn’t give a rats behind what happens to the big bad leader, or Jedi dogma or anything else within the context of a movie.

That “bean counter” wants a Star Wars related film released every 12 months (or so) in the theatre and the accompanying merchandising revenue streams.

While I currently don’t use my “bean counter” education IRL directly, Revenue, GM and EBITA (or EBITDA) is what matters.

9. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Sigh, you didn't read what I wrote, even though you pasted it. The point is that bean counters would want predictable story telling. They wouldn't say "kill Snoke mid way through the 2nd film of the trilogy."
    They wouldn't say piss on Jedi theology etc. Come on.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. daca

No, you didn’t comprehend what I said.

“Bean counters” don’t care about story telling.

At all.

You can always create more villains/heroes, change back stories, create other back stories and (used loosely) develop new stories. All they care about it getting movies out on time, on schedule to bring in Revenue. They have 10Q’s every quarter and 10K’s every year to complete. The Mouse’s CEO has to answer to Wall Street and the shareholders every quarter.

In fact, I doubt Bob Iger could even tell you the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s) of each Star Wars movie. And rightly so, because it doesn’t matter to him.

Getting a return on the $4.4B and stock to Lucas is what matters.

Actually, the Mouse’s stock price is all that matters.

DIS : Summary for Walt Disney Company (The) - Yahoo Finance

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I bet you he could. And I bet Bob Iger can already tell you what JJ Abrams has in store for Episode IX, since JJ already pitched the story to him last month.

12. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

You continue to miss my point otherwise you wouldn't keep repeating your irrelevant points. I'm not going in circles. Move on.

13. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Let's be fair. None of the major studios are in this business for the fun of it or to provide works of art free for all. All the major studios are bean counters, Fox, Disney, Universal, they are all in this to do one thing and that is make money. For that matter, so is the the music business, the fast food business, everything. 50 years and we are still paying up for the same Beatles songs we were buying 50 years ago. it's all about the money in every industry.

I think Disney cares greatly about Star Wars and putting out a good product. I think Kathleen Kennedy who was mentored by Lucas for years is very passionate about Star Wars. But in the grand scheme, every single movie, album, book, is about making money. So I think it's unfair to single out Disney. It is business, and they didn't spend 4 billion like you said to lose money. But to say they don't care about Star Wars I find untrue. I think by hiring the people they have hired to write, direct, shows a great deal of caring.

Vidiot, MikeJedi, Rubber65 and 2 others like this.
  14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I know we are 1.5 years from release but I thought it would be fun to discuss possible rumors of what this episode will contain or what you might like happen. There are many articles being released what seems like daily and thought this might be a great thread to discuss what might or might not come.

Here is an article that just popped up on my news feed about the possible rumors that Snoke might re-appear in episode IX. I think it would be a bad idea to bring back this character, although we know characters can be brought back, Snoke is one that for me was just a huge build up and then an even greater let down at death.

Star Wars: Episode IX: ‘Rumors’ surface of Snoke’s return

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I hope the film is two hours of Force Ghost Luke popping up behind Kylo Ren and shouting "boo" and then disappearing. That would really make the ending of The Last Jedi kinda awesome.

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

You mean even when he’s trying to hook up with Rey? boo ha

17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

At least it would give me something to laugh about instead of throwing tomatoes at the screen.

David del Toro likes this.
  18. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I'd like to see them wrap up this nightmare of a trilogy and end it. Whatever.

Recast the classic lineup of Han (already have Alden), Luke, Chewie (already have Joonas), Leia and C3P0 and R2 and go on more exciting adventures. Find a way that they time travel or mess up the time continuity so that the events of the last 3 movies didn't happen!
    I want to see more adventures with the characters I like - I don't want to see them perverted on the screen doing stoopid stuff they wouldn't do, i don't want to see them killed off on the screen. I want good storytelling, exciting stories, mysteries, new bad guys, old bad guys - I want the characters and galaxy I recognize from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

When does filming actually start for this episode? I am really hoping this is the best one out of the 3. I mean there are no do overs it has to be better than the other 2 and possibly surpass the original trilogy episodes. They just can’t play it safe and that’s what I’m worried about with Abrams at the heel again.

I want a story line that’s going to make me feel good about wanting to watch this over and over again when the blu ray comes out. I want John Williams to dig deep on the soundtrack bringing out something spectacular like the music from the original trilogy. I want new characters like the cool looking Greedo. I don’t want to be let down or feel like I don’t want to watch it multiple times. The original trilogy is so timeless that I never tire of watching it and always get something new out of re views. I don’t want too much right?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

ROTJ was the weakest of the original Trilogy, so I expect this one to be weak as well. Maybe we'll get a cameo of Jar Jar babysitting Ewoks.

Zoot Marimba and Rhett like this.
  21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I would assume that we will see much less of Luke in this last episode, I think we will see him but not during the entire film maybe parts of the beginning but it will rely heavily on the characters they have built up to this point. I thought the premise of this whole last trilogy was to usher in a new era of Star Wars? So were likely to build more upon the characters of Rey, Kylo, Poe, Finn, Rose, Hux. I bet Cap Phasma makes a return and I heard they are bringing back DJ.

I think one of the things that made the original trilogy work so well was that we had main characters that we could hold on to and watch grow through the series. Ep 7 & 8 they started throwing in so many character trying to give each one a story that it was hard to stay on track and at times seemed to go off on too many directions. Do you think it was a benefit or hinderance with so many new characters being added? Face it there was not enough screen time for all these characters plus the original characters too.

I was actually kind of excited about the Rey/Finn characters in Ep 7 they had good chemistry on screen and it played against the Kylo character too but then the next Ep Finn was off with another new character Rose and it made for a jagged storyline.

mx20 likes this.
  22. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Shut up and take my money, Lucasfilm!

scobb likes this.
  23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    dobyblue likes this.
  24. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

If Abrams feels angry about what Ryan did with his setup in Ep 7 then a lot could be reversed.Snoke and Luke could both come back to life,hey anything is possible with the force now.I don't know what they could do to save this trilogy IMO,I mean what was the point?The Empire's remnants took over again?The Jedi's last remnants died but not really cause more are on the way to start a new force religion not called Jedi?The first order made the galaxy roll over in a year or so when it took the Empire decades to try and do it...but then will be wiped out in 1 movie?Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

....not to add to the overkill factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.