Beatles 1966 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

In this regard, the Budokan shows (which I'm listening to right now) are the best in terms of sound and performance. The quieter Japanese audiences forced the band to tighten up their performances and for 1966 standards, are the best they did. However, they pale in comparison with how they played in '63, '64, and even '65.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Correct, but...

Someone has claimed to have almost 30 seconds of "We Can Work It Out" from the December 1965 UK tour. It is horrible audio quality and may be a fake:

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. DrBeatle

Sounds fake to me, like the studio version. Hard to be certain, though.

4. owsley

owsley Senior Member

You're right, the studio version of Yesterday is in F, not E. I have to get my ears tweaked. That's further evidence in my book that John wanted it in G to play mostly 1st position chords. George didn't play chords on this song live, just his usual fills so I doubt he would have demanded the key change. I'm convinced that change to key of G on tour has John 'my way or the highway' Lennon written all over it.

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Nah, I think Paul taught it to John in the G chord style because that's how played it, they just didn't detune for the concert and I 'm sure it had more to do with Paul not caring about straining a little on that one song than it did John saying he wouldn't relearn in the key of F. I think there was a lot they didn't care about in concert. Plus paul would have to relearn it on bass anyway if John had played it in F, Paul is thinking G when he plays it on bass too.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oops. Yeah, thanks for correcting.^^

7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The Babuik Beatles gear book reports that George played the SG during one of the Germany shows. Can’t recall which one.

The black Strat for John thing is weird. He had his Gibson Jumbo as a spare and already owned a Strat. Not that owning another Strat is weird per se but these guys were really bare bones and toured the world with a single back up guitar each. I find it odd that John would pick up a second Strat just for this tour which was then never seen again.

Edit: I see that someone knew the answer! Munich...

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Going back to US '66 ticket sales...

I have this pet theory that the decision to stop touring may have been driven perhaps in large part by the smaller US crowds. Apart from the band's feelings about performing live, what would be the point if your attendance is dropping? I think it's an ingredient in the overall mix of why they gave up touring.

Dodoz and ajsmith like this.
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I don't doubt the dropping attendance was a factor (as I recall the media made a big deal out of the fact they didn't sell out Shea Stadium in '66) but weren't they -John, George and Ringo, at least- already muttering amongst themselves that '66 was going to be the last tour even before it started?

10. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I read somewhere that their 2nd Red Rocks show didn’t sell out.
    How can that be?
    The greatest band ever at one of the worlds greatest venues and they can’t sell it out?
    (Capacity 9500)
    It boggles the mind!

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

What a contrast to their live performances and the wondrous music they were recording.

It's almost painful to watch, as they look so exhausted.

greenoort likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Paul would have first learned it on bass for the live version.

13. keith1959

keith1959 Forum Resident

I remember listening to The Beatles Story on BBC Radio in 1972 (it's been repeated since) and Tony Barrow said it was Paul M. who suggested
    he record the show at the last minute.

Tony Barrow: Paul said have you got your tape recorder with you? He had, so he then said tape it will you, tape the show. Which I did, just holding
    the mic up and capturing on it (the show as best he could). It was good, good audience, but nothing like Shea Stadium (1965 show?) or any of the really magnificent concerts they'd done before.

The only difference was they used a lot of ad lib link material which they never did on any other occasion.
    I've been puzzled by that ever since, 'ad lib link material'. Is he referring to between songs chat from the stage to the audience?

Tony Barrow also mentioned that there was a feeling amongst the people around the group that it might be the last show they ever did.
    Afterwards they flew from SF to LA and on the plane, George Harrison, one of the first things he said was: Well, that's it. I'm finished.
    I'm not a Beatle anymore.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  14. DrBeatle

Yes, it was Paul who suggested Tony tape it.

And yes, "ad-lib" means the between song banter. It was quite different and strange compared to their usual banter. In particular, when Paul says between songs "We'd like to carry on, I think. We're not really sure yet. I'd like to carry on, certainly. Definitely." That bit has always intrigued me because clearly there was some intentional subtext to it that is only relevant in hindsight...

15. Lemon Curry

Perhaps, but a Liverpudlian seeing a half empty hall knows what's happening.

It really was a bridge moment. I would think if a year later they played in halls with their Pepper outfits, they would have had a brand new audience.

John B likes this.
  16. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I've wondered if they would've been reinvigorated at all if they'd played live with the much improved amplification of concerts at the end of the decade.

DrBeatle likes this.
  17. DrBeatle

Not to mention with the vastly improved amplification and PA technology. The quantum leap from 1966-67 in live music sound was HUGE (see: The Who, Cream, Hendrix) and the Beatles juuuuuuust missed out on it.

Dodoz and notesfrom like this.
  18. DrBeatle

Goddamn, you beat me to it! :edthumbs:

This is a "what if?" I've pondered for years and years...

Brother Maynard likes this.
  19. Lemon Curry

It's such a pity that we never got to see/hear that. The closest I suppose would be Paul's Wings Over America tour, since we got to hear a bunch of Beatles tunes with great sound for the first time. (Aside from John's "instant" concerts earlier)

andrewskyDE and Brother Maynard like this.
  20. DrBeatle

The Beatles were invited to play at both Monterey and Woodstock. Can you imagine how amazing it would've been if they'd played either? Especially Woodstock...the band of the 1960s headlining the event of the 1960s.

21. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Jim Marshall photo from San Francisco. One of my favorites..

[​IMG]

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They also were invited to play at the 1970 reception held for Richard Nixon when he visited the Queen. But the Beatles declined as they were breaking up:

[​IMG]

Just kidding ... ;)

23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Only if they switched keys, what key are they playing it on the live version?

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That's irrelevant. He didn't play bass on the studio version, he didnt write it on bass, he didn't play bass on the 65 TV performances. He only played bass on it live with the Beatles. He would have first played on bass rehearsing for that tour (or perhaps on stage, as I am not convinced they bothered to rehearse for their final tours).

25. Lemon Curry

There is certainly no musical evidence to the contrary!
    I really dislike the tone they generated on stage in '66. Even if things were in tune in Japan, nothing was really gelling. Maybe that was the amps, or guitar choices, or that they just didn't care anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.