Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah that's definitely a story that would fit in well in that book. I've never heard that story anywhere else other than on here and another Zep forum.

But if it happened it probably wasn't the heroin as doesn't that usually cause constipation rather than the opposite? Probably took some coke cut with laxative or something. But I'm not sure the story is real anyway.

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Maybe they'll release the Vanilla Fudge mud shark video on Blu Ray.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

God, I'll have to try and dig one up. I do remember someone did some research and thought they'd figured it out because they found photos from a '77 show where Page started the show with white pants and ended with black (or vice versa).

4. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

In fairness to Jimmy, and I’m not trying to be unnecessarily biased in his favour here, but it has to be incredibly tough being on the road and eating crap food all the time; staying in germ infested hotel rooms; and not getting sick occasionally. I mean, who hasn’t travelled and then gotten stomach flu at some point in their lives? I just think it’s unfair to put this on Jimmy as though he was so whacked out that he shart himself, when it could have been something quite excusable. Considering that he didn’t have a known history of sharting himself in public and on stage, I suspect that this incident, if true, was due to illness. I also think it’s a little unfair to assume anything more untoward than that.

5. I'd rather have more from '70-'72 myself. There's tons of '75 and '77 soundboards floating around out there but very little other than audience tapes from the era when they were at their best.

6. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

They weren't at their best in my opinion. I could live happily if I never had to hear another version of Since I've Been Loving You, Black Dog, You Shook Me or any of their other pseudo blues numbers. Not for me mate. Give me Kashmir, IMTOD (yeah I know it's blues too but I'm a walking contradiction), In The Evening, Achilles Last Stand or TSRTS any day! Even performance wise, I think that Knebworth finds them at their "heaviest". Just listen to Bonzo's fills in Kashmir. It's unbelievable. They'd mostly shook off their bluesy beginnings and thank god for that!
    I always say this but I would have loved to see what Led Zeppelin would have sounded like in the era of the NWOBHM. Bonzo and Page wanted to take the band in a heavier direction before Bonzo died. They should have gone on with Cozy Powell.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I can't tell you how glad I am that this didn't happen.

And that's coming from a Cozy Powell fan.

8. Does anybody?

This is getting weird.

9. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

No, they don’t, and we don’t assume that they do, unless of course they are Jimmy Page whereby it’s okay to assume the worst and draw conclusions about it in a public forum. Right?

10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

You consider Black Dog a blues number? :confused:

There's a 99% chance Plant would have bailed by the end of the 1980 American tour. He was beyond over it at that point.

11. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Not blues, just tiresome.

12. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

This is way off topic, but no. Having his pants almost fall off on stage, yes (Robert Plant references this both on June 22 and July 23, 1977), being ill on stage, yes, (allegedly food poisoning April 9, 1977), being hit by fire crackers (June 14, 1977), yes, but nothing more than that. Changing his clothes, yes during Moby Dick/Over the Top, June 22, 1977.

June 22: (from before Since I've Been Loving You, early in the set) "A little bit of nostalgia. I lay awake till dawn this morning thinking about lemons and the lack of squeezes. If that's not sordid enough, Mr. Page is losing his trousers right now. His, his pants are falling down. Jimmy Page's pants are falling down...."

July 23: "If we seem to be just a little bit sluggish now we shall start to liven up cause we're not even awake about forty five minutes. You know how it is, which is no excuse admittedly. We're gonna do a song ah, from before the flood you might say. We must have a short break while Jimmy put's a belt on his trousers. He's losing his pants. That would be one of the worst things to happen. It's just one of the formalities of getting dressed in the morning."

Now, what I would like to see released this year is of course Scarlet, the Keith Richards/Jimmy Page collaboration from 1974 (?)

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The NWOBH would have had no impact on Zep indeed it would have bored the pants off of them......they were too eclectic, too interested in pushing forward to really go retro or stay really heavy...Plant would have been pushing them and there's no way they would have been just a core heavy band....sure there might have been a reaction to ITTOD but it would never have satisfied everyone.....I suspect the shadow of their golden era would have been hard to shake off,

They did the right thing....Cozy Powell? No thanks.

14. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I thought he cleaned out the vault when the recent remasters were released. Guess there are always always ways to get fans' money!

15. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

The studio recorded portion of the vault I guess would be considered cleaned out which is why the speculation on this thread centers around a live release since it is well known that the vault still has some releasable live material.

16. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I very much doubt that this happened as H has the opposite effect, and when you do eventually poop you really have to force it out

Speed and coke however are a different proposition...

DrBeatle and ODShowtime like this.
  17. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

What an unusual speculation train this thread has gotten into! The pants story!

I believe it's true that fans found a '77 show (Chicago?) where Jimmy changed pants during the show. I do remember a long and esoteric thread about that on the Royal Orleans forum, with pictures. As to what really happened, who knows?

BUT for an alternate theory, let's also not forget Mick Jagger at Madison Square Garden, 1969. "I think I busted a button on my trousers, I hope they don't fall down. You don't want my trousers to fall down, now do you?" It could have been any number of trouser mishaps, to be fair to poor Jimmy. And he was sick during that Chicago run, whether it was self-inflicted or not. He could have simply lost a half an inch or so, due to water weight, not eating, etc., and maybe the usual pants weren't working for him that night. Silk pants without a belt, can be very tricky at the waist.

Also, it is known that Jimmy Page refused to send his stage clothes out for dry cleaning while he was on tour, fearing they would be stolen or damaged. People have talked about this over the years. Each of the famous stage outfits he wore onstage -- Dragon suit, poppy suit, "planet" pants, the "Zozo" sweater knitted by a female fan, etc -- there was always only one of each. So if something unfortunate "happened" to the white silk pants, well....there isn't any "evidence" of it, remaining behind (ahem) in photos from other shows later on in the '77 tour, LOL.

Jimmy also posted a picture on his website of him in the Storm Trooper hat, Chicago '77, with the caption, "Here I am -- wearing Hugo Boss." Which is a funny dig at the designer. BUT I digress.

There is also a photo out there somewhere (I don't have it), of Jimmy onstage from '73, where you can clearly see his hotel room key is safety-pinned to the pants of the Dragon suit at the waist, and the pin is also kinda assisting in holding up the pants a little bit. Which is funny. They probably should have pinned a note to him as well -- "If found, please return me to the Drake Hotel, Room 609."

Sean, petem1966, tdavis0903 and 4 others like this.
  18. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Totally agree. To continue with Cozy Powell would have been a complete non starter, and ignores what it would have been like to try those intricate onstage jams with a new drummer.

JPJ "John Bonham wasn't the drummer in Led Zeppelin, he was one quarter of Led Zeppelin"

Robert Plant "we've not been complete since 1980"

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Actually Shirley said "Led Zeppelin KS mixed" and Davis said he was "mastering Led Zeppelin" on the specific day he posted to Facebook. Two different processes.

Shirley could have been simply reminding people that he has mixed Led Zeppelin in the past, as it's certainly one of his achievements. As for the date, September 29, is the anniversary of what some consider to be a holy grail of live LZ performances, the Osaka Festival Hall. If he mixed this for a 2018 release, it could be great, providing he didn't overdo the compression and it's mastered properly. I like Shirley's work on the 2003 DVD but HTWWW was horribly compressed and I don't think it was all Bob Ludwig's fault. Certainly the Shirley remix of The Song Remains The Same, which was mastered by Bob Ludwig, ended up sounding not so great not only due to the edits made to match the film, but also the heavy compression.

As for Davis's comment, the fact that he said he was "mastering" and "remastering" implies it was for a release or at least a mix that has never before been mastered. It could well be the mix that Shirley did or something else or maybe Shirley's mix is part of material going on a chronological release.

I for one look forward to whatever comes. I get that some folks were disappointed with the companion disks but then again whether we agree with the concept or not, Page stated several times his intention was not to just put out bonus tracks but to put our companion disks that mostly represented alternate views or works in progress for each album. Some of them were more successful than others, but those complaining about them need to remember that other than the super deluxe box editions, the 2-disc deluxe versions are among the least expensive of such releases from classic rock acts on the market. They're certainly not the money grab some folks claim! Some of them are even more interesting that Percy's latest anemic rewrite of Kashmir! (Just like he scarred us indeed! ;)

20. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Rumour is the lady in question is now married with children and living in the Northwest somewhere. For her sake I hope the vid never does come out, might be a tricky conversation to have with the kids.... :laugh::eek:

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah yes he did say mastering. An important distinction. Thanks for reminded me :)

I don't usually put too much stock in dates tweets or posts go out but you never know. I could see Page asking Shirley to mix something and Davis mastering it.

I hope it's not just Kevin reminding people he once did some work with them but rather a nod to new work.

22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If they release live shows wouldn't those consist of previously heard Led Zeppelin music? :uhhuh:

DrBeatle likes this.
  23. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Or grandkids considering the likely current age of the participant!

24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Not to nitpick, but the dragon suit didn't exist in '73...:cool:

25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

She's got to be a grandmother by now.

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.