Clint Eastwood films 1964-1988

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Django, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I recently picked up "The Dead Pool" at Big Lots. I kind of forgot which one it was and had it confused with "Sudden Impact". After I realized it was the "one with Guns + Roses" I kind of regretted buying it, as I vaguely remembered it wasn't that great. But what the hell, it's Clint, how bad can it be? Right?

I probably hadn't seen it in over 25 years and had no recollection of the movie other than the basic premise and the G +R tie in. Just finished watching it and all I can say is "WOW! What a cheese fest". I was embarrassed for Clint. Bad acting, corny dialog, ham fisted social commentary, cheesy background music, it's got it all. Oh yeah, it looked kind of cheap too. According to Wikipedia Siskel + Ebert liked it. That really surprises me. Maybe it seemed better at the time.

alexpop likes this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I recently picked up "The Dead Pool" at Big Lots. I kind of forgot which one it was and had it confused with "Sudden Impact". After I realized it was the "one with Guns + Roses" I kind of regretted buying it, as I vaguely remembered it wasn't that great. But what the hell, it's Clint, how bad can it be? Right?

I probably hadn't seen it in over 25 years and had no recollection of the movie other than the basic premise and the G +R tie in. Just finished watching it and all I can say is "WOW! What a cheese fest". I was embarrassed for Clint. Bad acting, corny dialog, ham fisted social commentary, cheesy background music, it's got it all. Oh yeah, it looked kind of cheap too. According to Wikipedia Siskel + Ebert liked it. That really surprises me. Maybe it seemed better at the time.

3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

How was he in Rawhide? How come I never seen reruns of that show with him?

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Hey Chilboa, where did you recently pick up The Dead Pool from?!

905, ego1jr, P(orF) and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Firefox from 1982 at #7 is very surprising to me. Saw it in the theatre at the time but can't remember if it's a good movie or not. Definitely a forgotten film.

7. I watched The Enforcer recently (on HBO) and this is a really bad movie. I love Dirty Harry and Magnum Force is also good, but this one has the dumbest script I think I have ever seen Clint involved with. The character Tyne Daly is playing is just beyond absurd and this fact torpedoes the movie for me. The "villains" are over the top as usual for a Dirty Harry movie, but these are a bit more cartoonish than in the other installments. The Alcatraz setting for the showdown was cool, but Harry's proficiency at using a LAW after watching one demo is a bit silly (but forgivable). Just awful....

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'd settle for these:

Bird (1988)
    Pale Rider (1985)
    Tightrope (1984)
    Honkytonk Man (1982)
    Bronco Billy (1980)
    Escape from Alcatraz (1979)
    The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
    Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)
    Magnum Force (1973)
    High Plains Drifter (1973)
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Play Misty for Me (1971)
    The Beguiled (1971)
    Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
    Kelly's Heroes (1970)
    Where Eagles Dare (1969)
    Coogan's Bluff (1968)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    For a Few Dollars More (1965)
    A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

And I'd hum and hah over the inclusion of Pale Rider, Kelly's Heroes and Magnum Force, all of which I like, but...

The best, I think, are Bird, Honkytonk Man, Josey Wales, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Harry, Misty, The Good, the Bad etc (and maybe High Plains...). From the later stuff: Unforgiven, A Perfect World, In the Line of Fire, Mystic River, The Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Changeling.

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Firefox is a complete bore

KAJ1971 and smilin ed like this.
  10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

They made a really boring laser-disc video game from that movie:

11. High Plains Drifter is one of my absolute favorites.

12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I think it is kinda slow until he steals the jet, I enjoy it more after that.

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I was thinking the same thing, but I've seen it. It's a Hammer film about a coven set in England and I knew he couldn't be in it..but, there is another Italian film same name/same year called Le Streghe, which he is in.

14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

It's on ME TV.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Yeah, he played Rowdy Yates - it's on the the first things I remember him from as a child (of the 70's with 5 channels.)

Jeannie and Darren are in this episode too.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Still rate Magnum Force.

17. alexpop

Gran Torino his son Scott is in it.
    This is a film that begs repeat viewings. In aging Dirty Harry mode, Clint sure does play a snarly old dude effectively.

Grand_Ennui and ssmith3046 like this.
  18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I like Firefox, a personal fave

19. alexpop

Heartbreak Bridge.
    What's up with Clint's voice, laryngitis ?

"Shut your face hippie" :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I remember reading a review when the movie came out that his voice was supposed to be from an old shrapnel injury to the throat. I don't know what that was based on or if it is correct, as there is no mention of it in the movie, but it helped it make more sense to me.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

shrapnel injury"
    A bit of spin to sell the movie.
    Think he had vocal node op.

22. alexpop

How was he ?
    Great! DVD Box Set available I believe.

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

the part where he has that exchange:

they say they want a car
    what are you gonna do, Harry?
    Give it to 'em!

and then rams his car into the bank is one of my all time favorite scenes in a movie.

24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Great soundtrack though. Used to have the poster on my wall next to one of Josey Wales.

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I may be the only person in the world who feels this way, but i think ''Honky Tonk Man'' is a little gem of a movie, VERY underrated..

Graham likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.