Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'm wondering if it may also have to do with all the "Stoop Down" lyrics, if it would require paying royalties out to the Chick Willis estate. Otherwise, there's no reason this (and its partner Lower Alcatraz) haven't made it out on some compilation. If we ever get another Dagger Records release like Hear My Music or Burning Desire, that'd be the best place for them, the full Message From Nine To The Universe, some portion of the Blue Suede Shoes jam and the Woodstock band Beginnings.

2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If they do put those versions together, they will probably start with the solo take, let it gently fade then bring in the band instrumental.

Hep Alien and dee like this.
  3. John Harchar

That's what I ended up doing for my own custom mix: start with the longest take of Heaven Has No Sorrow, fade into the jam, then fade into solo Jimi at the end.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That would not be the case; Jimi's recording predated the Chuck Willis song by two years. They're just quoting the same nursery rhyme.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I've seen some Janie interviews where she seems to have decent knowledge on Jimi's work. I think she even travels to every show on those Experience Hendrix tribute tours.

I do think she has made some of the "dodgy" decisions like frankensteining, dropping/mixing out extra musicians off Winterlands/Jams/Woodstock and denied Devo clearance on the AYE mid 80's cover songs music video they wanted for a DVD(Douglas gave permission in the Laserdisc era).

With the possible exception of the "frankenstein" stuff, I can't see it being Kramer or John McD pushing for these "lost albums" or dropping musicians.

6. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

What do you mean? The full Valley's of Neptune take that I think has everything but bass, paints the full picture. I'm not sure if I even noticed that it didn't have bass at first

7. John Harchar

The song was still evolving and judging from the versions he was recording in summer 1970, if he had finished it, at that point it would have sounded more like the 4 1/2 minute version than the longer one with the vamp between the bridge and 3rd verse. As I said, the Sept 1969 version should still have been released since that's the first and only completely realized version, bare bones as it is. I'm not sure he would have been able to complete the song to his satisfaction since, like Burning Desire, the version he wanted just kept eluding him. So as a one off experiment, I don't mind it. Unfortunately, its use continued to the detriment of the songs (Crash Landing is flat out awful).

One other thing: it's odd that the three titles of the "trilogy": Valleys of Neptune, People, Hell and Angels and Both Sides of the Sky have to do with material generally recorded in 1970 while the albums themselves contain mostly 1969 material.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If he had finished it, it would probably have had the multi-layered, sonic richness of songs like "Freedom", "Dolly Dagger" or "Ezy Ryder" .

Matthew Tate and crozcat like this.
  9. John Harchar

Absolutely. He probably needed to overdub at least two more guitars on there along with the vocal track(s) and some piano like the solo demo version from Olympic. Plus he and Eddie may have come up with some phasing and panning effects at different points. What might have been...

10. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So far, I haven’t purchased Valleys or People Hell.

This is being advertised as the third in a series of unreleased material.

First question......are they both generally regarded as worth having? I have Cry Of Love if that’s relevant.

Secondly....where does First Rays fit into these posthumous releases?

Any thoughts most welcome please.

Hep Alien, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Before you get to these albums, get Rainbow Bridge and an old War Heroes if you can find one. Far more essential than this latest "trilogy".
    Then get the "Jimi Hendrix: Blues" compilation and if you like Jimi in a jamming situation get Hear My Music and Burning Desire (both excellent).
    Before any of these, you must of course have the holy trinity of AYE, Axis and Electric Ladyland!!
    Once you have all that, you can move on to the purple box then Valleys, People Hell & Angels and Both Sides Of The Sky. There are some superb tracks and some duds.
    Some interesting odds and ends are also in the West Coast Seattle Boy box.

First Rays was an ambitious attempt to gather together the best songs that Jimi had cut in his last year, as if it was his fourth album. It was brickwalled to hell and is not popular with audiophiles. All songs had been released before on COL, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes in the 70s.
    That's why it's better to get those three albums: better sound, better pacing of the tracks plus other great tracks in for good measure.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i enjoy all the releases. i'm a much bigger fan of the 1969-death hendrix material

13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

After you get RB maybe consider Band Of Gypsys.
    That's the last lp that Jimi at least had some control over.

Sharp 1080, jhm and Purple Jim like this.
  14. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I should have provided more info. I do have the holy trinity along with Blues, Hear My Music, Burning Desire, Purple CD Box, BBC Sessions and a few of the live albums.

Once again, thanks taking the time to reply.

Hep Alien and Purple Jim like this.
  15. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So it’s starting to look like Rainbow Bridge is essential.

Billy_Sunday, Hep Alien, jhm and 3 others like this.
  16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

I agree with your comment about Hear My Music and Burning Desire. After the "trinity," they are my go-to albums. I usually play them in consecutive order. They go well together.

Hep Alien and Purple Jim like this.
  17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

:agree:
    If you go for War Heroes avoid the ones that start with catalog number 847 as I think those are no noised.

18. FarcicalEpiphany

FarcicalEpiphany Forum Resident

Pretty much the only War Heroes CDs available to be had on EBay are all 847-262-2. That’s what mine is. Some are probably fake too. I have a Crash Landing CD that I absolutely KNOW is fake, but it’s a reasonably well done fake that was cheap and I honestly don’t care enough about that album to shell out big money. I had Crash Landing on cassette at one point in the 80s before I knew much about the Hendrix catalog, Alan Douglas etc. and play it sometimes for nostalgia.

I keep a basic Hendrix library on my portable devices and I go back and forth and back and forth between COL, RB and WH for my posthumous albums versus Blues, First Rays and SSD. The second three makes for a more complete selection of tracks, but the first three have, arguably, better sound and their vinyl era length makes for a more digestible listen.

Interestingly if you look at Amazon, First Rays is currently only available from third party sellers and as an mp3 download. This makes me wonder if they are deleting it from the catalog.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

We can only hope! This and South Saturn Delta are in desperate need of a remaster. Perhaps EH is contemplating a rejiggering of that material to better reflect what Jimi intended to do with the First Rays album before his demise?

20. FarcicalEpiphany

My guess would be that the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge reissues has made those two albums “canon” again which creates an obvious need for a new odds and sods compilation to take the place of SSD. I can’t imagine they would try a outright redux Of First Rays though they might remaster it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. John Harchar

It certainly is odd that just about every release is available except FROTNRS. It does suggest they feel there isn’t really a need for it now. If they put out a War Heroes/Loose Ends combo reissue of some sort, FR is irrelevant and South Saturn is about half reissued

905 likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think they would be better off reissuing the material with the original track listings before Michael Jeffrey ordered tracks to be held back for future releases.

They were never "canon" to me because they were not released as originally intended from the original track listings compiled by Eddie Kramer and Mitch Mitchell.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  23. FarcicalEpiphany

But they seem to be popular with fans and the reissues have gotten a warm reception. Sometimes the marketplace wins over more scholarly considerations. You don’t see that kind of sentimental attachment from folks for the late 90s efforts and I doubt that a new attempt at “doing it right” would fare much better. Might as well let’em have their COL and RB and then do a rejiggered SSD type release to pick up the other stray tracks.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The sound is better on the reissues which accounts for part of the acclaim.

However, my problem is that Kramer and Mitchell were tasked with compiling the best tracks for the posthumous releases which they did but then Jeffrey came along and said we need to remove these tracks now so we have some good tracks for later releases. The posthumous releases we received were not in Kramer and Mitchell's opinions the best tracks available for each release.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Yes, the '69 version is better. They should have had Cox drop in a new bass line to that version instead of the Frankenstiening.

Lownote30, Pete Puma and jhm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.