“My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman” premieres Friday, January 12th on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

There will be one guest per episode, each one premiering once a month from January through June. The guest lineup (not in chronological order is):

George Clooney
    Tina Fey
    Jay-Z
    President Barack Obama
    Howard Stern
    Malala Yousafzai

The show premieres a week from today (Friday, January 12th) with President Obama.

Pelvis Ressley, bferr1, Jrr and 9 others like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Interesting lineup of guests.

goodiesguy, MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Make comedy great again

goodiesguy, somnar, MRamble and 2 others like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Obama hasn't offered much in the way of public commentary since leaving Office. So that's a great "get" to kick off the series with.

Scope J, Pelvis Ressley, Jrr and 6 others like this.
  5. AKA

I might be wrong, but I think this will be his first TV interview as a former president.

audiomixer, Myke and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why does David look like Santa Claus?

ZippyPippy and Myke like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:bdance: Thank you for informing me before Netflix, before Facebook... just thanks !!!! *

* The night of the NBC Late Show premiere...Feb.2nd, 1982...I got out of bed, to go watch the show in the living room. My new GF didn't appreciate my choice. Too bad.

8. AKA

Had you been a fan of the morning show?

bpmd1962 likes this.
  9. Myke

No, I caught Dave on Johnny, more than likely.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  10. AKA

I was born during the morning show’s short run. So obviously I didn’t see it. I guess a lot of NBC affiliates didn’t even clear it.

11. Myke

1980 ? I was 22. :laugh:

bpmd1962, MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I don't recall any specifics of the morning show, but I recall that I watched it and thought it was very funny & entertaining. I do remember a recurring bit with the "Dancing N" (as in BC)

AKA likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I was attending Dave's alma mater, Ball State, just as the morning show was airing. I could catch about 25 minutes of it in the dorm lounge every few days before lunch. One I remember particularly, I came in at the tail-end to see him and his not-really-all-that-special-but-that-was-the-joke guests, signing-off with Dave, standing there with sparklers...during a hail of confetti. Which caught fire. And stage hands rushed to get it all put out with fire extinguishers. And everybody around Dave was panicking, and you could just see him thinking, "hey, this is turning out better than I expected!"

Hells yeah.

14. AKA

It’s cool that Bill Wendell announced for all three of Dave’s shows.

goodiesguy, John Adam and somnar like this.
  15. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I worked graveyard when Dave's morning show was on. I watched it before going to bed.

jerol

AKA likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Was ready to cancel Netflix. Not now! Smart people. No wonder they are so succesful.

AKA and Solaris like this.
  17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One show per month?

18. AKA

Beats zero shows in 31 months.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Letterman did a 90-minute interview on Howard Stern's show a few months ago, and Howard asked him about the nutty beard. Letterman's answer was that he really resented having to work on TV for 35 years and having to shave every single day so he looked reasonably OK on the air. Once his show was done, he felt like he was freed from ever having to do that again, so he basically let it all go.

What I can't get is why he can't just grow a beard and make it a reasonable, well-trimmed beard. He's worth about $400 million, so it's not like he can't afford to see a hair stylist a couple of times a week.

Howard said later on the air that Dave kind of insisted on a quid-pro-quo, so he very reluctantly agreed to be a guest on Dave's new show... despite the fact that Howard says he hates to do any interviews anymore and that they're a huge amount of trouble and stress for him.

20. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Looks to be an interesting concept that Dave would be good at. I'll watch it for sure but I have to admit ..... I just can't get used to him with the Unibomber beard lol .....

thgord likes this.
  21. BNell

BNell Forum Resident

I have been listening to Howard for more than 25 years and love his show, but he has become such a complainer in recent years. He's turning into his mother, if you ask me. :)

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm an Aussie, and I love me some 'Letterman'. He is a monument, I can't wait to see these.

AKA likes this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used the love the morning show. Towards the end of his late night show run I didn't think Dave was as funny as he was in his early years. I won't watch this but I'm happy for his fans that he's back.

24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I think Dave has earned the right to do whatever he wants to do. Good for him.

I'm very interested in this new series of interviews. I don't think he's strictly aiming to be funny, either. I think these are going to be something very different, and fans expecting Late Night shenanigans may be in for a surprise.

AKA likes this.
  25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Would love it if Jay Leno eventually made it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.