Anybody celebrating New Year's 2018 with some gear purchases?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I sure did! Just ordered a Lehmann Black Cube SE II for $750 (a steal!) and will be getting it on the 13th. Can't wait to put it through its paces.

Anybody else celebratin' in style? :)

2. I did! I bought a new Plinius Hautonga integrated amp to kick off the new year. It sounds awesome.

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I sort of did. I ordered a pair of Harbeth M30.1 speakers on Dec 28, 2017 however they’re not arriving until 2018. Does that count?

4. Strat-Mangler

What did you use before and how is it an upgrade?
    It sure does!

How does it sound? What did you use before and how is it an upgrade?

5. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Earlier this week I finally quite procrastinating and purchased a Lyra Kleos cartridge from Music Direct. (Gotta love the 18 month interest-free financing.) I've not ever tried a moving coil design before, so I look forward to this new experience. The Kleos is due to arrive sometime today via Fedex.

Don Parkhurst, LeeS, BD2665 and 6 others like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

In theory it's a superior design but it's all about preferences in the end. Hope it's everything you want it to be! :)

DPM likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler,
    The Plinius is replacing a Sonneteer Alabaster which is a very fine amp itself. I have heard quite a few different amps with my speakers and concluded that they benefited from having more powerful amplification. I went from 50 to 200 wpc and gained a stronger bass with more impact and quickness. The Hautonga retains the drive and bounce that made the Alabaster such fun but adds clarity and brings out more detail and nuance. The highs are more extended as well. I’m also enjoying the remote control as the Alabaster is fully “analog “
    The Sonneteer was very easy to listen to and brought a lot of emotion out with my music. I wasn’t really looking to change but had an opportunity to have a long at home audition with the Hautonga thanks to an excellent dealer in Halifax. After a week of listening I was unwilling to give it back lol!

Don Parkhurst and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

This thread will be useless without pictures.

9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

The Harbeths just arrived minutes ago. Haven’t unboxed them yet, letting them acclimate to my warm house (the FedEx truck was below freezing). Not sure where they’re going yet. I have three listening rooms so I have to decide what's going and what’s staying. They will be replacing either JBL 4425’s, JBL 4311BWX (had since new in the mid 70’s), or Harbeth P3ESR with an SVS sub. I’m hoping they’ll replace the 4425’s however I’m not sure they’ll work in that particular room (15’ x 35’ with 8’ ceilings).

10. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Nope, I have the system of my dreams. One that makes magic each and every time I fire it up. Why mess with perfection?

Aural Musings

mike catucci, LeeS, ZenMango and 3 others like this.
  11. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I ordered a Holo Audio Spring Level 1 DAC to compare against my venerable Marantz HD-DAC1. I chose that over a Schiit Gungnir and I really hope it impresses!

Shiver and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Awesome! My experience has always been that it's impossible to have too much power. Loads of speakers sound good with "enough" power but *more* power reserves essentially means the amp strains less to deliver the sound and thus, things should sound more cohesive and more effortless. Of course, more power from good amps/manufacturers costs much more but if you're willing to dive in head-first this once, you'll really reap the benefits and it sounds like you're quite happy with your purchase!

I read a few recommendations for the Plinius 8200 and there's even a 9100 SE for sale in Canada but I'm thinking of possibly going with the Outlaw RR2160 or Rogue Magnum II at some point. That 9100 SE is interesting nevertheless and intrigues me, especially in its unassuming looks which might hide fantastic audio within.

Again, congrats and enjoy! :)

I agree, although a phono preamp isn't that exciting from a looks department. People get more fun out of pics of amps but if anybody's interested, I'll snap a few pics once I get it. @avanti1960 has already given me the optimal settings for my cart as he's quite familiar with that preamp/cart combo. He's pretty spot-on with his impressions so that's likely what I'll start with.

Once you have them setup, let us know how they sound and in what way they're bettering your current speakers. I agree with @DPM that some pics would also be nice. ;)

Shoalcove likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

"If you're ever satisfied, the game's over." - James Hetfield

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

I did. Bought a pair of in ear monitor from the company 1more. Outstanding purchase. Going from drug store ear buds to these was a welcome upgrade. Even my wife & daughter likes the sound.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats. i have come to absolutely love the Harbeth sound. be aware that even the M40.2 are still considered a near field monitor and all Harbeths sound best listened to in the equal leg triangle arrangement.

SandAndGlass, Don Parkhurst and LeeS like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

As somebody who requires near-field due to listening room dimensions, can you please explain what you mean by "equal leg triangle arrangement"?

17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yep! A mid 70's Marantz receiver is on the way.

18. I think avanti1960 is suggesting you have the same distance between you and the speakers as between the speakers. If your speakers are 6’ apart, sit 6’ away.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I did, I purchased a Musical Fidelity M5si integrated amp, and I’m extremely happy with it.

20. Strat-Mangler

What did you guys have before?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Before that I was using a Marantz PM6005, which I moved into my TV setup.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

A 1982 Yamaha R-500 I've had since high school.

HiFi Guy and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yes...
    I’m adding a Parasound Halo Integrated and a pair of ProAc Response D2’s. We are also finishing some home renovation, so I won’t have it hooked up for a few weeks yet.

24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Equilateral triangle. Speakers 6 feet from each other and six feet from each of the speakers to the listeners face. Doesn't have to be six feet but the legs of the triangle should be equal distances. The right speakers should be aligned so that the there is a line from the midline speaker to the listeners right ear. And vice versa. Google listening room acoustics.

25. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Nice...you going to love it!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.