Rolling Stone record guides. Anyone else get irritated???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

IIRC, they said of Toto IV - then the most recent record from the band - something like "Toto continues to grow more popular. But cockroaches are expected to outlive us as well."

Ouch.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

5 stars for Sandinista?? That is delusional.

dmiller458 likes this.
  3. ribonucleic

"The Only Band That Matters", as was said at the time.

4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I prefer the ivory tower approach.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They clearly had a massive publicity buzz at the time. Wonder where that come from really.

6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

7. ribonucleic

Christgau can be so far up his own ass as to be literally unintelligible. However, he can also craft a phrase so brilliant that it can never be forgotten.

Truly, what better description could there be of Chuck D's rapping style than "bully-boy orotundity"?

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

“Rock journalism is people who can’t write interviewing people who can’t talk for people who can’t read”.

-Frank Zappa

Sean, lightbulb, letmerollit and 6 others like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Just like the subject that review goes on far too long and says even less.

10. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Speaking of RS reviews......who can forget their 5 star review of Mick Jagger's "Goddess in the Doorway"? :laugh:

Dodoz likes this.
  11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I got the 1992 (IIRC) version and found it for the most part quite helpful as it introduced me to several great bands I'd never been exposed to ranging from the 60s ('Love') to the 80s ('Husker Du') and much in between. It was a wonderful resource for me at that time. Did they crap on a bunch of established/fairly well known bands giving them only one or two stars? Absolutely - but I'd already been exposed to the majority of those bands and had already formed my own opinions on them. Those bands were not why I bought the book.

OTOH the followup version from this century was garbage. Bizarre/inexplicable additions/omissions compared to who was covered in the previous volume (the one example that still stands out in my memory is Ringo is in/George is out :crazy:), wildly different ratings (one or two star albums in the last volume getting 4 or 5 stars in this volume - and vice versa - some of those changes arguably justified/many not) Higher level of snark/non-objectivity compared to the 1992 version, massive drop-off in the quality of the writing/analysis in much of the reviews compared to the 1992 version. Nothing as insightful/well written in the newer version as the (to name two) essays discussing 'Guns & Roses Appetite' and 'Derek & The Dominos Layla' in the 1992 version.

I was actually tempted to send Rolling Stone a letter reviewing the book and giving it 2 stars out of 5 (looking back, that may have been too generous)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've had two or three RS guides over the years and notice that they are not consistent in their ratings. When Neil Young was in his supposed "career suicide" period some of his records were rated lower than they were later when is popularity rose again.

I'm very wary of all rating guides and systems because bias is always a factor and although I don't always agree with their ratings, I do tend to look at the AllMusic on-line source (I'm a paid subscriber) to get good general info on albums as well as (quite often) song samples.

AllMusic | Record Reviews, Streaming Songs, Genres & Bands

Also, I wish there were more reviews on Discogs. Obviously, a lot of music savvy folks use Discogs but the reviews are still fairly scant.

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

You mean "Dogsh*t in the Doorway"?

14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Actually, I'm not, because I've never bothered to critique critics. I simply don't use them.

15. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

John Swenson was co-editor of the blue guide, so every Who album except Magic Bus and It's Hard got four stars.

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'll never forget reading what amounted to a lame three paragraph, two star review for what i consider one of the best albums released in the last decade, Ray Lamontagne's ''Till The Sun Turns Black''. I remember thinking at the time that the idiot who reviewed it hadn't even bothered listening, maybe i was right, because that review can't be found anywhere online, apparently even RS was embarrassed by it.

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Weren't there some acts that were Rolling Stone "darlings" where their sales didn't match up to their acclaim? I'm thinking the likes of Little Feat or Jesse Winchester or pre-Nick Of Time Bonnie Raitt or pre-"Short People" Randy Newman, or Gram Parsons, etc. Something with that whole business reminded me of what George Bernard Shaw had written in Don Juan In Hell about people who regularly went to the opera and enthusiastically applauded when the time came, because they were supposed to enjoy and like it. I'm curious as to how many record collectors of the '70's who read Rolling Stone were in that category, i.e. buying certain records because they were supposed to enjoy them because a RS critic said so.

Jackson likes this.
  18. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Almost every record I bought up until the 80’s was reviewed in Rolling Stone
    There was no real alternative
    Maybe NME in Britain
    But given the popularity of what I think of as hideous music both in cyberspace and the charts I think more people should read reviews because since the early 70’s all the great music disappeared from the radio

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I had the 1992 edition and there was some irritating stuff but there were some very well written reviews. Then I bought the one that came out in 2004 or thereabouts and the writing wasn't nearly as good.

wildstar likes this.
  20. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

[​IMG]

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah, bought the May/June RS 1971, couldn't comprehend the bad review/negativity for Paul McCartney's RAM. :(

letmerollit likes this.
  22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I disagreed with a lot of the reviews and I thought it was funny how some bands got massively downgraded from one edition to the next (like Yes) but I thought they did a did a good job of picking the best albums by each band. I also really enjoyed reading the reviews of the acts they trashed like Mac Davis and the Osmond Bros.

23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I had the red one, maybe still do in a box put away, but haven't seen it in many years, and am probably better off for it. Seems that edition has Sandinista rated at 2 stars, but maybe my memory is off. I remember they didn't like Black Sabbath much, and this influenced me to hold off a long time before getting Vol 4/Sabotage/Never say die/TE... I think they gave 3 stars to Paranoid/MOR/SBS......The latter of which the review actually influenced the purchase. In time I heard music from those albums and decided they were mostly wrong. I became somewhat of a completist on BS........Pun intended......

They gave terrible reviews to heavy metal and prog rock. While those thing are not my favorite type of rock, I like a hell of a lot or that material. In time you learn their biases and the reviews can be of limited use...

24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I agree. The Dead was doing the post Napster music business model 50 years in advance. Which was a very good thing for them and us.

25. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

As Socrates would say most true.
    But they were trying to boost the Clash into American popular music culture. A fellow traveler myself I forgave them.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.