Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

you should really try Here, Shadows, Man-Made and Howdy. All good to great albums choc full of TF goodness.

2. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

If Teenage Fanclub put out "Cul de Sac" and called it quits, they'd still be OK in my book. Gorgeous tune.

3. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Teenage Fanclub don't know how to make a bad record. How any fan of this group can't get behind their new album is beyond me. Sublime and essential.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Man at C&A and trumpet sounds like this.
  4. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

about to download this since the vinyl is by subscription only. going to fall asleep listening to it.

5. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Always liked these guys, since college. My buddy played me Bandwagonesque... I hadn't even heard them before that.

6. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

"Here" might be their best. A bit more subdued than their early 90s sound, of course, but just amazing, moving songs. "Man-Made" is great, too; I didn't warm to "Shadows" quite as much. "Howdy" and "Thirteen" have unsatisfying production (bit sterile for the former, muddy for the latter) but still terrific songs. "...Northern Britain" was my favourite prior to "Here".

7. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

My top 3 are Bandwagonesque, 13, and the collaboration with Jad Fair. Stopped following them after I bought Howdy - they seemed to be slipping into comfortable middle age and lost their spark.

8. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Just ordered the vinyl. I really like it after listening to it for a few weeks. Realized today they are selling it individually, I thought you had to be a subscriber.

9. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I loved the Ben Gibbard Bandwagonesque so much I bought the vinyl. It came with a 7 inch also.

I love it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Pretty.Odd. and BlueTrane like this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Yes, it's a really charming take on the album and it allowed me to appreciate some songs I'd previously overlooked.

11. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Bumping this thread...am still on the lookout for a vinyl copy of Bandwagonesque. Is the Music On Vinyl reissue any good? I also just learned about the Ben Gibbard “Bandwagonesque” release and wow it’s going for crazy money now. I understand it’s a vinyl only release. Hopefully it gets a repress soon.

12. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I've always really liked the album, but I've also always been disappointed by some of the musical choices that were made, namely the use of loud, distorted guitars where they absolutely don't belong. But that was the grunge era, so I guess it was the fashion.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Well, if Ben Gibbard likes it, then. I was in the Death Cab teenage fanclub. Just got Songs from Northern Britain on Cd for walks.

John Porcellino likes this.
  14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

My favorites are Grand Prix, Bandwagonesque and Songs From Northern Britain. The later albums have highlights, but they aren't as strong as the earlier material. I dislike the production on Here. It sounds pretty thin and weak to me. Man-Made is stronger.

15. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

There's supposed a be a vinyl reissue campaign this year but still waiting on details etc.

MarioHead likes this.
  16. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

You can download ben gibbard's bandwagonesque on iTunes.

I think you can still buy the vinyl from here.
    SOUNDS DELICIOUS by Turntable Kitchen

17. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I would love a box set of a remastered set of their albums. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

18. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Thanks! Will check it out.

19. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

There are some wonderful songs on Here but most of them sounds awful, like poorly decoded mp3’s.

Here’s a live performance at BBC Scotland, the songs from Here sound better.

Shadows and Man-Made were sonically superior by far.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    dlemaudit likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It would be wonderful. I can't see it happening as their albums are all on different labels.

I'm really looking forward to these but I also hope their CD catalogue is reissued as deluxe editions too. There are so many great non-album B-sides, radio sessions and cover versions that need compiling. Most have either never been released or have been deleted for over 20 years.

I have a Grand Prix era BBC Session on tape which they do a cover of Dying Day by Orange Juice on. I loved the song but didn't know who did the original. Steve Lamacq didn't say! A few years later I played it to a friend who loves Orange Juice and he couldn't believe it. Teenage Fanclub covering his other favourite band!

The session has since been repeated on BBC 6music but they talked over the intro which didn't happen on the original broadcast.

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the tip! I ordered one this week and now it's on its way to me.

Craig.

ToddH likes this.
  22. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Does anybody own the 2011 CD reissue of A Catholic Education ("Fire Embers" series) and can comment on the sound ? Remastered or a clone of the original CD ?

23. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

The 'grunge' era is probably the wrong genre. IMHO, it's the 'shoegazing' era. Teenage Fanclub were on Creation Records, and their label mates included My Bloody Valentine, Ride, and Swervedriver.

The distorted guitars and 'light' vocals aren't that far off from say, Ride's ballads.

Here's one of my all-time favourite Ride tracks. 'In a Different Place' is one of their ballads on their 1990 debut album.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Pop_Zeus and youngchoulin like this.
  24. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Once in a while, you hear a band and think 'wow, where have they been all my life?!'

This happened to me last week, with Teenage Fanclub. It;s rather like falling in love.

So I went out and bought the Sony classic albums bundle of their five Creation albums. So far, really loving 'Grand Prix'. So which of the others should I dig into next?

Pop_Zeus, Alexlotl, Marty T and 2 others like this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

My personal favorite of theirs is Songs From Northern Britain. It's basically perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.