iFi Itube

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by murphythecat, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat Thread Starter

I just got a new ifi itube with the ipower psu.

Sounds amazing. I'm listening in pre amp mode. Its in my opinion much better then my pass b1. For everyone looking for a cheap but very good single source pre amp, there's not many choices around and the ifi itube sounds great.

Ill be getting a lightspeed attenuator soon to compare as Im looking for the best pre amp under 500$. Its crazy how theres really not a lot of cheap but transparent pre amps.

SandAndGlass, Shiver and 33na3rd like this.
  2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

After you get done comparing the Lightspeed against the Itube, you could try the Itube behind the Lightspeed as a buffer. That might be interesting too.

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I would have bought one ages ago except for the single input, which I don't get at all.

How much are the Lightspeed units these days?

Have you heard of the Tortuga?

33na3rd likes this.
  4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I love my Tortuga!

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I think it is the state of the art for LDR based passives.

33na3rd likes this.
  6. murphythecat

yes, ive read that the buffer mode in the ifi itube is basically transparent. a guy sold his 10k music reference TVC once he add to his amr dac the itube as a buffer.
    so I will try the lightspeed att. + the itube in buffer mode for sure!

The tortuga is pricier and not necessary better sounding. at audioasylum, a user have both and he seem to prefer the lightspeed att.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Anymore news regarding your Itube, or Lightspeed?

8. murphythecat

nah
    I took out my ifi itube from my chain as well as my pass b1. I find it good but I prefer digital Volume control to be honest

ill probably get the ec designs volume control which is stepped attenuator based.

9. murphythecat

my test was conducted with a ifi itube in a ifi ican using the VC activated. My previous comment is to be taken with a grain of salt as when having in a chain two volume control, its normal that the sound will be degraded.

Ive finally began using it in my speaker chain which is Jriver with volume control DISABLED into DAC into ITUBE with volume control into AMP into SPEAKERS is a really impressive system compared to digital attenuation in jriver. the sound with the jriver buil it in volume control compared to itube gain more focus, depht and details. seriously impressed how much I gain by bypassing the digital volume control.

10. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The IFI phono stage is also superb!

displayname likes this.
  11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I'm considering itube2 as a preamp and my question is is there a tube bypass mode?

12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

There is no tube bypass mode, but the tube is used as a buffer, so it has less of an affect on the signal than if it was used for gain.

13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Didn't get this... Manual says there is a 9db gain mode...?

14. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes, there's an option for 9dB of gain using the DIP switches on the bottom of the unit. I believe the gain option is solid state and not from the tube. I don't know this for a fact. Hopefully someone else will chime in on how the gain is acheived.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I'm basically interested if I can choose between tube and none tube sound on the unit if used as a preamp (itube2).

16. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Decware makes a Zen Triode Gain Stage that can be used as a purist preamp. Your choice of 12AT7's or 12AU7's and it's all hand wired and built in the USA with no Chinese parts. They also make a Zen Triode Output Stage (tube buffer) as well that can also some magic in front of your sources and be used as a volume control for an amp.

17. moops

moops Senior Member

Nope ...... unless they have completely altered the the way it's meant to be used compared to the first iTube .... which I own.
    You can either use it as a straight tube buffer or a a tube pe-amp, and you can run either option with or without added gain.
    There is no way to bypass the tube .... which makes sense as that's really the whole point of it's existence anyway.
    I love mine.

The iTube 2 has upped the anti ..... offering 3 separate sonic signatures to pick from as well .....
    Single-Ended Triode power amplifier / Push-Pull tube power amplifier / classic tube amplifier.

Sounds like fun !

micro – iTube2

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What is not included in itube 2 that was present in itube "1"? I see no mention of this "digital antidote" feature on the itube 2. What exactly is this, is it an important omission that would be missed or maybe it is quietly still there, like always on?

19. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I just installed the iTube 2 in my new Peachtree Nova loop. I liked the Peachtree, but wasn’t quite sold on the sound. There was a harshness to my ears. I came from a tube pre in my main system. I know it’s not broken in yet, but I felt like I heard a positive difference immediately. Speakers are Kef ls50, running a Cliffwood and Tidal from a MacBook.

This was supposed to be a small office system and it’s getting bigger than intended. Now instead of a low cost $1500 integrated, after adding this puppy I’m wondering if I should have gotten something in the 2K range that wasn’t Class D...

20. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I would try and sort out this office system. The IFI is an outstanding product, i know from experience.
    I wonder whether the harshness in main system comes from a source
    Component rather than the tube preamp

21. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Oh the main system is fine to my ears except for a blown crossover in a speaker, but that’s a different story. I just meant maybe I was used to that tube sound there and that’s why I didn’t care for the Peachtree sound as much before the iFi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.