Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Good choice for a Christmas single! :righton:

I don´t think there is a lot of material for tme to release from the vaults, but I thought the same when "MOBILE ALABAMA SCHOOL LEAVING HULLABALOO" was released in 2008. That was one of the four unreleased tracks from the "GREEN LIGHT" sessions, and I know there were quite a few from the "NOW YOU SEE ME, NOW YOU DON´T" sessions. Whether they are worth releasing remains to be heard, but I would love to find out what kind of songs they are.

There are also lots of live performances that could be gathered on a - double? triple? quadruple? - CD set. His performances of "SONG FOR SARAH", "ALL BY MYSELF", "ROCK THAT DOESN´T ROLL" - which has already been released on a Larry Norman album - and many others have been commited to tape, and the same goes for a few unusual recordings from the "CLIFF IN CHICHESTER" concert from 1980. The recording quality on the DVD and TV special was atrocious, so I hope they could do remaster it, if that is possible.

I am aware that none of these things will take place, but I do we get something from the vaults. Personally, I would love the "CLIFF IN LONDON" concert that was televised. I watched the abridged version of this back in 1981, and I was introduced to "WHEN TWO WORLDS DRIFT APART" for the first time. That live recording is still my favourite version of my favourite Cliff songs, and it has great sentimantal value for me. So, that´s just me, then. :sigh: He, he.

I wish all readers and contributors to this thread a merry Christmas and an exciting new year. Let´s hope 2018 will bring us many happy Cliff moments.

And other moments, of course. A man - or woman - cannot survive on Cliff alone.

2. Jarleboy

I have read about these many times, but this is only the second track from this part of Cliff´s "ouvre" I hear. Not very promising. I would still like it if they released a 2CD set with all the tracks. Just for the record.

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  3. Jarleboy

We were discussing the album "GREEN LIGHT", and, seeing that I have had some minor changes done to my stereo system, I have been playing old favourites aplenty lately, and found sonic qualities I never knew existed. (So far I have added a new subwoofer, and a new receiver/amplifier is just around the corner.) The sheer joy of hearing an already good system sounding even better has been very gratifying, to say the least.

One of the favourites I have been playing was the "GREEN LIGHT" album mentioned by Tim, Ron and myself on this page. I have always liked this album, and I have liked the production on it. Bruce Welch seemed to know what he was doing. :agree:

As I played the remastered version of the album, a couple of thoughts struck me.

* In general, I think the instruments sound good on the remaster. Some details stand out more than they did before - for instance the ABBA-like piano sound on "SHE´S A GIPSY". But there is a price to pay - Cliff´s main vocal sounds compressed and unnatural, especially on the title track. One of the reasons I buy Cliff albums is that I like the warmth in his voice, but this didn´t come through as clearly on the remaster, I think.

* I have mentioned earlier that I don´t really like the single "CAN´T TAKE THE HURT ANYMORE". I amended that to not liking the endless repetition of the chorus when I wrote about the album, and I am sorry, but I still feel that way about the song. What you can´t take away from it, however, is the perfect build-up to the chorus - that´s pure class! Also, the sound effects and production tricks really work on this track - it´s one ofthe best sounding songs of his.

* As with most of the Cliff remasters from the turn of the century or thereabouts, there are things that are improved and some that show deterioration in quality. In general, the remasters have more "oomph". You discover some details you never noticed before, and the sound is more "in your face". That can be a good thing. (For instance, I prefer the remastered "I´M NO HERO" and "WIRED FOR SOUND" to he original releases, though none of them sound as good as the vinyl did. And coming from me, that is surprising, as I prefer CDs to LPs.) But with "GREEN LIGHT", I think the vocals suffer. I also feel the whole sound is lacking in "air" - the music sounds massive at times, and doesn´t float as lightly as I had hoped. (NB! I am exaggerating a bit, of course. It´s not at all terrible to listen to, but there is room for improvement. I am not expecting a SACD release, even though a surround version of several of the tracks, including "CAN´T TAKE THE HURT ANYMORE", "EASE ALONG", "NEVER EVEN THOUGHT" and several other
    of the songs would be beneficial to the music.

* As we all know, the biggest hit single from this album was the title track, peaking at No. 57 a long time after the album was released. I have listened to thsi album countless times, but it just dawned on me as it flew by my ears today: There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the particular songs. Some are better than others, but they´re all good songs. I stepped back and tried to analyze why the album wasn´t a big hit. And I think I have two theories after today´s listening session.

1. There too many slow and midtempo songs, and most of them are minor key and/or reflecting upon less than uplifiting themes. (The opening and closing tracks are exceptions, I think, and that is fitting.) "MOBILE ALABAMA SCHOOL LEAVING HULLABALOO" were recorded during the sessions for this album, and it would have been a breath of fresh air on the album.)

2. The sequencing of the songs could have been improved, I think. My suggestion would be this:

1. "GREEN LIGHT"
    2. "PLEASE REMEMBER ME"
    3. "START ALL OVER AGAIN"
    4. "WHILE SHE´S YOUNG"
    5. "UNDER LOCK AND KEY"

6. "EASE ALONG"
    7. "FREE MY SOUL"
    8. "COUNT ME OUT"
    9. "SHE´S A GIPSY"
    10. "NEVER EVEN THOUGHT"
    11. "CAN´T TAKE THE HURT ANYMORE" (This wouldn´t work on vinyl - wouldn´t sound good so far in.)

These are just my suggestions after having listened to the album. I love most of these songs, and I would like them to shine. I don´t know if my suggested sequencing would meet with everyone´s approval, but it felt right to me - tonight, at least. And I do feel that the album would have benefitted from the presence of a couple of upbeat and uptempo songs. (If I had to remove two songs, I think "WHILE SHE´S YOUNG" and "SHE´S A GIPSY" are the most likely candidates, even though I know a lot of you love the latter. I don´t dislike any of them, but they seem a bit different from the other tracks on the album.)

So, which ones are the classics from this album? None of them were featured on the "STRONGER THRU THE YEARS" compilation, but as far as I am concerned, there are many gems here:

"GREEN LIGHT" - classic Alan Tarney, great production. (I have heard Cliff perform this slightly faster - in the "LIVE IN LONDON" concert from 1980. That sounded even better, I think, and it sounded as if it belonged on the "ROCK´N´ROLL JUVENILE" album. Coming from me, that´s high praise.)

"PLEASE REMEMBER ME" - non-charting cover of Dave Loggins´ song. Cliff´s version has so much more bite than the original. It´s the kind of song you need to hear several times before it "gets" to you, but I love it.

"EASE ALONG" - another great Alan Tarney/Trevor Spencer track.

"COUNT ME OUT" - wisely chosen as the B-side of "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE". One of Cliff´s quirkiest and most atmospheric ballads. I consider it as strong as "CARRIE", with which it shares a few qualities. Just love it.

"NEVER EVEN THOUGHT" is a great cover of a great Murray Head song. If you haven´t listened to any of his recordings, please check him out. There´s more to him than "JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR" and "ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK".

I don´t love the choruses of "CAN´T TAKE THE HURT ANYMORE", but the intro and arrangement is great.

I like all the other songs, and even the B-sides are good. (Included on the remaster - "PLEASE DON´T TEASE", "NEEDING A FRIEND" and "IMAGINE LOVE".

Sorry about writing this apropos of nothing, but I just felt like sharing.

fsutall, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  4. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I never thought of the "Green Light" album as having too many ballads...they are superior songs. It was a sad day when he and Bruce stopped working together. A decade of drum machines and synths may have sounded more 'current' and achieved sales, but the price was the end of a serious revival of Cliff's music that began with the "31st of February Street."

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Jarleboy

I don´t think the album has too many ballads for me. I just think a couple more uptempo songs would have improved its chances commercially. I´m quite happy with the album as is. :agree:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  6. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

In it's 7th week, Cliff's 'Stronger Thru' The Years' drops just three places in the Chart to number 36.

(14 - 25 - 39 - 40 - 31 - 33 - 36)

mark ab, Jarleboy and RonBaker like this.
  7. Jarleboy

"75 AT 75" peaked at No. 4, and stayed on the charts for 14 weeks. So far, "STHRONGER THRU THE YEARS" has stayed in the Top 40 for seven weeks. I think that is pretty impressive, especially when you consider that "75 AT 75" was wall to wall hits, whereas the new compilation is a more... How should I put it? A beast of mixed breeding? Perhaps not...

All I can say is - if a mediocre compilation like this can show such impressive chart data, how well would a really thourough, deep cut based compilation do? I really don´t know - perhaps the hits managed to pull in the punters once again, or perhaps people wanted something old that was new? I guess we´ll never know.

CheshireCat, mark ab and RonBaker like this.
  8. Jarleboy

A belated Happy New Year to all readers and contributors to this thread! :pineapple:

As I mentioned, 2018 will be the 60th anniversary of Cliff´s career, which started in the summer of 1958. It was an overnight success story, more or less, that has continued to this day. Cliff himself was 17 when he recorded those first demos, and who would have guessed that his first single would reach No. 2, and that he would record, with or without The Drifters/The Shadows, for at least another sixty years?

And this year Cliff will turn 78. Just like an old-time record.

What are our hopes and dreams for this year? His 40th and 50th anniversary were both celebrated with releases aplenty, and the 2008 box set "... AND THEY SAID IT WOULDN´T LAST" in particular brought many unreleased and exciting recordings to the table.

Cliff´s career is at a lower ebb now than it was in 1998 and 2008, and he hasn´t had a hit single for years. He did have the somewhat compromised but well-received compilation "STRONGER THRU THE YEARS", which wasn´t a big hit, but a steady seller for at least seven weeks. I expect little of interest to be released, though there have been rumours - on this thread, as well - about a new album of original songs. The rock´n´roll songbook albums were OK for what they were, but I am hoping for a new impressive album reminiscent of "I´M NEARLY FAMOUS" or "SOMETHING´S GOING ON" in terms of freshness - even an Alan Tarney reboot would be welcome. (I always liked those fluffy albums... That is, until "WANTED".)

Whatever they have to offer us devoted fans, I hope Cliff comes out of this year with another comeback on his hands - if that is what he wants. At 77 and soon 78, he´s allowed to rest on his laurels for as long as he likes.

We´ll be delving into the early years of his career very soon, and follow him through the years when he was the most exciting thing in the UK pop firmament. Scholars will argue how long this lasted - some say he was an "all-round entertainer" less than a year after his first official release, but we´ll get to that. There´ll be singles, EPs, albums, stage shows and even movies to cover.

And I promise that there will be some gems along the way. Most of the songs from his early years don´t connect with me in the same way that the songs of the 70s, 80s and 90s do, but there are some fantastic recordings to be found.

I may be forced to trot out the B-side of "THE TWELFTH OF NEVER" for a fourth time. You can´t have too much of a good thing. Or if you can, I don´t care.

So let´s hope for some exciting new or old releases to see the light of day in 2018, but expect nothing. We have enough good music to listen to already. :righton:

John Adam, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  9. CheshireCat

I'd love for a new album of the style of the 'Bruce Welch Trilogy', or 'Something's Goin' On', but as fans, we perhaps ask too much - your reminding us that Cliff will be promoting a new album at the age of 78 puts it into context. There again I never expected an album as good as 'Something's Goin' On' 45 years into his career.

As we know, there's no one else quite like Cliff, so, if he's up for something fresh and exciting, there's no one better in the business to do it!

As you say at the end though, 'hope for some exciting new or old releases to see the light of day in 2018, but expect nothing' is the best way to go through this new year. I will look forward to looking back through those first 10 years, and re-discovering some forgotten classics, maybe like I'M AFRAID TO GO HOME, which I believe is hidden on some 'B' side somewhere...

Happy New Year to everyone!

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  10. Jarleboy

"The Bruce Welch Trilogy" - yeah, that´s a good name for three albums almost in a row. They were great! (I would also include the self-produced "SMALL CORNERS" album, and I think "ROCK´N´ROLL JUVENILE" topped them all.) But it was a great time to be a Cliff fan, and the albums that followed were also good.

Cliff has surprised us before, and he can do it again! (Though I do think it´s less likely now.) But, as you say, if anyone can do it, it´s Cliff.

He, he... "I´M AFRAID TO GO HOME" will definitely be rearing it´s lovely head when we get to 1964. I´m not trying that hard to avoid it... :angel:

I am looking forward to start writing again. I have missed it.

11. Phil_Rocks

Phil_Rocks Forum Resident

Happy New Year everyone hope everyone had a great Christmas. It looks to be an exciting Cliff year, i bought a magazine in December that had a new Cliff interview in it mostly about his plans for Christmas but this was the last question that got me excited

''Are you going to make any New Year’s resolutions?''

''No, but I have so much to look forward to in 2018. I want to make a new Christmas album next year, as well as an album of brand-new material. My really big date is in October, where I will celebrate my birthday performing at the Royal Albert Hall – and then I go on tour''

Also in an interview in the summer on kiss FM he mentioned a best of package to commemorate 60 years, so that's 3 releases scheduled :) happy days. I never really think much on Cliff's age but when he said he would be 78 this year it kinda shocked me, his constant energy and how he looks it's hard to imagine he his nearly 80 and one starts to think how much longer we'll have him around but he seems in good health and feel very lucky to have him still around and as ambitious as ever, hopefully another 20 years :) and i hope he has one big comeback at least and it is about time he's revered in a big way for what he has achieved and with his big anniversary this year i am hoping it is THE YEAR OF CLIFF and people look/listen with fresh eyes/ears.

I like the idea of The Bruce Welch Trilogy i'd but it in an instant and i also echo what you guys have said about remastered albums with extra tracks and such it seems a shame not for this to happen when you see all the time artists releasing anniversary albums and 4 disc versions etc and it always crosses my mind ''i wish Cliff had something like this''.

12. Jarleboy

Thanks for all the exciting information- and just as much for your enthusiastic delivery! We need some positive energy around Cliff and what he does!

Personally, another Cliff Christmas album is on my wish list, just below an album of him interpreting traditional Norwegian folk songs. :sigh: (Come to think of it, that might actually be interesting.) Another Best Ofcompilation is clearly not needed. These utterances by Cliff almost makes it sound like 2015 - the Royal Albert Hall performance, another hits compilation with "75 At 75"... The really exciting news is another album of originals. That I shall be looking forward to!

Thanks for the info, Phil! :righton:

13. CheshireCat

In it's 8th week, Cliff's 'Stronger Thru' The Years' drops twelve places in the Chart to number 48.

(14 - 25 - 39 - 40 - 31 - 33 - 36 - 48)

In the 'sales only' chart, the album climbs one place to 31.
    In the 'physical sales only' the album climbs five places to 25.

14. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

We don’t need another Best Of compilation to celebrate Cliffs 60th Anniversary UNLESS it is along the lines of the THE COLLECTION CD released a few years back that concentrated mainly on album tracks. There are plenty of album only songs that would have made great singles so maybe an ALTERNATIVE BEST OF would be more appealing?

15. Jarleboy

Still "Hangin´ On", I see. I have run out of words, but I am still impressed.

16. Jarleboy

"THE COLLECTION" was a good concept, and highlighted many of his lesser known classic tracks. An alternative Best Of along those lines could be fun. If any of you want to suggest a track list, please go ahead! I´d be interested to see what you think constitutes a classic album track. (Include B-sides, singles and EP tracks, if you want to.)

I think a compilation covering the somewhat "lost" mid 80s tracks would raise awareness of many forgotten tracks. (And I throw in one early 90s tracks, as well.)

Perhaps along these lines...:

1. MAKIN´ HISTORY
    2. SHE MEANS NOTHING TO ME (Duet with Phil Everly)
    3. NEVER SAY DIE (GIVE A LITTLE BIT MORE) (Extended 12" mix)
    4. DRIFTING (Duet with Sheila Walh)
    5. BORN TO ROCK´N´ROLL (Special Extended Mix)
    6. HEART USER
    7. OCEAN DEEP
    8. LOVE STEALER
    9. BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE
    10. LEARNING HOW TO ROCK´N´ROLL
    11. MOVE IT (1983 version)
    12. PLEASE DON´T FALL IN LOVE
    13. SHOOTING FROM THE HEART
    14. MY KINDA LIFE (1992 remix)

Tim Cooper, Chris Lane and mark ab like this.
  17. Chris Lane

Chris Lane Forum Resident

And this I would buy. I know it has a lot of songs I have already have, but it includes three songs from the yet to be released on CD (Never Say Die, Born To Rock and Drifting. I know, I know Drifting is on a blooming rare CD)

18. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

I agree with Chris, here too.
    I would also buy this cd, a good mix of songs.
    I need to check out the 1983 version of "Move It", unless you could remind me please!

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Tim Cooper

Chris can you remind me what the Rare CD "Drifting" is on please.

Chris Lane, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Jarleboy

I do think Cliff´s mid-80s are better suited for a compilation. Not all the songs released during this period were classics, but I like all of the ones on that list. "DRIFTING" is on two CDs, as far as I know. One is called "ROMANTIC HITS FOR LOVERS", released in the Netherlands - and very rare it is, indeed. I did come across the track on another compilation. I don´t have it with me right now, but it´s called "TOGETHER..." (I can´t remember the last bit.) Sound quality is nice on this last one.

Chris Lane and mark ab like this.
  21. Jarleboy

The 1983 "MOVE IT" is the one from "ROCK´N´ROLL SILVER", featuring a call-and-repeat a cappella part in the middle. Many of you don´t like this version. I do.

Chris Lane and mark ab like this.
  22. Tim Cooper

Thanks for clarification.
    I'm afraid I'm on the "don't like" for this version!
    But, as you have said before, it makes this thread interesting how we all have our different fav and not fave Cliff songs.

23. Tim Cooper

Thanks, I will have to start a "wanted" list for myself.

24. Jarleboy

Yes, I remember that quite a few disliked that version. But, as you say, that´s part of the exciting diversity in the thread. If I were you. I would exchange that version of "MOVE IT!" with another song from the period. I thought including the 1984 version of "WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE", but that song has its fair share of detractors as well.

Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
  25. Jarleboy

I hope that means that you actually like the song. I happen to think it´s a gem, but I realise that both the arrangement and Sheila Walsh´ voice can be an acquired taste... that some never acquire. I understandand respect that, but I happen to love the song. (The album is uneven and inconsistent, and very muchbrought down a few pegs because of the very 80s production, but it does have many highlights, one being the reggae version of Tery Britten´s "YES, HE LIVES", which had been an unsuccessful single for Cliff in 1978.

Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.