Is it just me or Led Zeppelin (or rather half of the band) were simply bad too many times LIVE? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLeet, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Of course anything that Page has done since Zeppelin would be considered a failure if you measure it against Zeppelin's accomplishments. I happen to like The Firm, Mean Business is an excellent under rated album & Coverdale Page rocks!! Even Outrider has it's merits. Jimmy should quit waiting on Plant & hit the road!!

Llyrren and The Doctor like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

All you have to do is listen to all the boots to evaluate.

3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I actually find it has a ton of power! I love it, in fact the extended Whole Lotta Love's from especially 71 through 73 are what I listen to first whenever I find a new bootleg

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They lack backing vocals and that's a big weakness to have for a live band.

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm amazed at how several posters on this thread can write so authoritatively about something they've never experienced. Just because you have the capability to Google "Led Zeppelin", or watch a bootleg of one of their live performances on YouTube, doesn't mean you should or could evaluate their capabilities as a live band.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  6. Rockstar2112

You can't be serious lol, Pink Floyd just stood there lol!! The dynamic that Plant brought with his body language, appearance & stage presence ( no pun intended lol) is undeniable!! When Page & Plant rubbed bodies on stage a certain chemistry was unleashed, no other musicians that I know of had that. Even Daltrey permed his hair to resemble Plant lol!!

Jimijam likes this.
  7. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

:righton:

[​IMG]

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  8. Rockstar2112

Who needs backing vocals lol, when you have Plant!! Jimmy actually sang on Battle Of Evermore during 77 I believe. Bonham liked to do the count in for The Ocean if that counts as vocals.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Floyd were playing instruments 100% of the time. Yeah, Plant’s real exciting in the clips above. I saw more passion on stage from The Who.

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

You must have "Googled" someone else. The Robert Plant never "just stood there", and was, if not the greatest frontman of all time.

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Like Zep ok
    Love/prefer live music generally
    Zep live is unlistenable, IMHO

12. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Coverdale/Page is very much underrated, I agree. And yes, I agree he should give up on Plant at this point...I sadly don't think Plant will ever be keen on a full reunion. And perhaps for the sake of Zep's legacy it's better that he isn't. I feel like Zeppelin's mystique would be ruined with a giant, Stones-esque stadium world tour. And given how legendary they are, I don't think they could get away with anything less. It would be a big production, full of publicity which is one thing Zep wasn't about. I mean look how few pro-shot live performances there are of them compared to their contemporaries. Look how few singles they issued. Look how few band photographs. This was a band that thrived mainly on word of mouth. Being another monster legacy act would sort of tarnish that, at least for me. But YMMV.

showtaper and Rockstar2112 like this.
  13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Are you thinking of another band? Zep hardly had any bvox on their records. Plant harmonizes with himself on a few songs, but that's it.

Terrapin Station and The Doctor like this.
  14. Rockstar2112

I am not saying that Plant is better than Daltrey, Jagger, Freddie Mercury etc etc, I am only saying that he is not boring & that he is indeed one of the greatest rock vocalists & frontmen of all time. It is all subjective.

15. Rockstar2112

Who is in to see Jimmy Page tour with Paul Rodgers &/ or David Coverdale?? I am!!

The Doctor likes this.
  16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Their first two albums were game changers, the sound blowing in and demanding attention. Their next set of albums expanded their repertoire and were as progressive and exceptional as it gets. They were at the top. Toward the end, their albums grew even more progressive but got somewhat bloated and older sounding...somewhat drawn out.

The Beatles similarly were better in the studio than they were live.

Although early on, so exciting to see them on Ed Sullivan.

I think Led Zep's albums were very well produced.

I care much less about their live act.

Many live acts are a bit of a disappointment/let down.

Not all.

But many.

showtaper likes this.
  17. The Doctor

Yes to either; preferably Coverdale. They were a good match. Page is 70 something years old. Plant's just not gonna do it. I am sure Pagey has good riffs stored up sitting collecting dust that he's accumulated since 1980. Time to use them with someone else.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  18. HotelYorba101

So let's see what we have so far:

Robert Plant just stands there
    Jimmy Page was too sloppy
    Songs were extended and too long and boring
    Robert Plant couldn't hit the high vocal notes after 1973 like he did pre-1973
    They lacked backing vocals
    They lacked a second guitarist to play the overdubs

Whatever happened to just experiencing a live show or reviewing a live recording of a past show and just...enjoying it? Take it for what it is, realize that rock n' roll is about the moment, the experience, the passion, and to me when I take those things into account I find Led Zeppelin one of the all time greats and I would have killed to see any of the shows live in person that I have come to know so well through bootlegs

There seems to be a ton of nitpicking that is very un-rock n' roll

19. Rockstar2112

What are you trying to listen to??

20. The Doctor

The problem with Zeppelin live is you have 3, 4, sometimes as much as 10 guitar overdubs on a song. How could one man replicate that live and have it be totally satisfactory?

mando_dan and DRM like this.
  21. Rockstar2112

Try to get both DC & PR, each do an hour long set & then come out & do a couple of encores together!! That would be a dream come true for me!!

The Doctor likes this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Exactly, I can't wait for the upcoming threads that will bash....
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    and Pink Floyd

Rockstar2112 and DRM like this.
  23. HotelYorba101

"The Beatles sucked live, they almost sounded like they couldn't even hear their own instruments over the crowd!" :D

Dr. Funk likes this.
  24. Rockstar2112

Don't forget about Queen lol

Dr. Funk likes this.
  25. The Doctor

For me a live act doesn't matter. If a band can play in the studio and it's obvious they're not faking it, I don't need a live performance. Most of my favorite acts (Elvis, Garcia-led Dead, The Doors, Zeppelin, Beatles, Janis) I'll never see live so a live show has, for myself, never been been of much importance. I actually wish bands didn't HAVE to tour.

DRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.