If Jim lived, would he have come back to The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Problem with that is, I'm not sure his poetry/literary work was that good. Certainly not good enough to exist unsupported by his 'legend.'

Of course, plenty of people argue that he couldn't sing, either, and that his sole talent was for 'looking pretty' (I disagree on this).

He had a perfect chemistry with the other three that it was impossible to duplicate. They were lost without each other, really.

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

This is probably true: it's ironic that Jim's death, and its part in solidifying the Doors' 'cool factor' solved the financial problems of the surviving three for good: Densmore, Krieger and Manzarek must have been annual millionaires since the early 80s.

DrBeatle and fortherecord like this.
  3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I always find it strange when people find Morrison arrogant in his poetic inclinations. He's on record saying his journey as a writer had hardly even begun, he didn't think of himself as this fantastic writer. And it was shortly before his death when he said that. It's something that he loved to do, but he seemed to have reservations and insecurities about his work too.

As for him coming back in the band, it will always be a mystery. The thing is, I like the psychedelic/pop Doors better than the bluesy, back to the roots Doors (even if they always did play blues). Jim preferred the blues stuff better and I wonder if I would have enjoyed them as much had they kept going in that direction. "LA woman" is great, don't get me wrong! But I wonder how redundant/repetitious they would have become (I can't say that I'm fond of the material on "Other Voices" for instance).

CraigC likes this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I didn't imply that he was arrogant about his own work. It's quality is generally disputed, though.

I think Jim's talent was for analysis and examination. He was that rare thing in the rock world - a real intellectual.

john lennonist and Fullbug like this.
  5. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

No no, I wasn't saying you were saying he was arrogant. I was more saying that he might agree with you actually! I was pointing out the fact that i've heard many people call him pretentious when he himself had reservations :)

john lennonist and Siegmund like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

so many questions. would jim gotten himself straight? that would decide a lot but regardless he definitely wouldve played with the doors again. how many bands of that stature just quite and never reformed

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

In my mind the bigger question is would Ray, Robbie, and John taken him back? Also, would THEY have wanted to get back together? Morrison was off the rails toward the end of the band and it was quickly becoming a real sh*tshow

DrBeatle and Fullbug like this.
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

According to the Strange Days documentary, Jim was wanting to make more music with the band in the future. It discusses a phone call between John and Jim shortly after LA Women is released and Jim tells John that he wants to work with them soon.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hard to imagine that they would not have taken him back. Had they continued as they did, released two substandard albums and been relegated to mostly playing half-full theaters, I think it is more than likely there would have been a reunion, assuming Morrison was willing and able.

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

There were tensions in The Doors, like in any band. Morrison needed a break and some space to work out his life-work balance. Certainly, his future would have involved writing/publishing, and possible solo work.

However, I feel the bonds he had with The Doors were strong, and he knew there was a chemistry in the band which was rare and special. Plus that although he took a break from the band, he didn't leave with any bad feelings. So I am confident that he would have returned to The Doors at some stage, although it may not have been a full-time job.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm not saying that they couldn't have, but it just doesn't feel likely. I don't think Jim in particular was interested in putting out product just to put out product. His interest in the proceedings probably would have ebbed and flowed just as it did when the band was active.

The Dead were a bit different in that they existed primarily as a travelling band.

Nothing against the Stones, but after a certain point, they were a machine. The Doors to me were about art.

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I've read and heard many conflicting accounts and opinions regarding Jim Morrison's future with the Doors. I would think at some time they would have gotten back together to record a new album. There was something mysterious about the Doors that kept people interested throughout the years. I clearly remember a Doors revival that sprung up in the early to mid 80's with teenagers.

14. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you think he could've beat the sentence? I mean I don't know what his and his father's relationship was like in 1971 but would they really toss the son of a respected rear admiral in jail for a lengthy period? I mean yes he was sentenced, but the fact that he was allowed to travel abroad while on bail says to me his prospects may have not been so dim.

15. The Doctor

That's very much true. He took his band I think more seriously than say, Mick Jagger did who was always more tongue in cheek with the Stones.

I would say yes, to an extent, I agree - Jim was about art. But the rest of the band? Didn't they try to sell a song to a car commercial around '68 causing Morrison to go ballistic or was that just invented for the Oliver Stone film?

But even then...Jim did seem to love being famous. At least to a certain extent. He didn't shy away from those glamour shots in the early days, anyway. Yes, he did consciously attempt to deconstruct his own image and mythology by gaining weight and growing the beard but...I don't know. He's someone who is much harder to read than most musicians in all honesty. On one hand you have him consciously shying away from being a "sex symbol" and yet at the same time gaining publicity for the Miami incident. Very hard to read as a man. More a writer (dating a writer, I think writers and singers/lyricists to a certain extent think differently) in his mindset than a musician..

16. The Doctor

True but he was the frontman. I mean, even when he died they didn't try to replace him. I doubt he would've been replaced while alive either you know? And yes live was becoming something Morrison wasn't able to handle but he was still more than able in the studio...I think L.A. Woman was recorded in something like a month or two. Same with Morrison Hotel. Something about live shows just seemed to trigger his anxiety.

17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

He was sentenced to 6 months hard labor.
    A charity show, a "donation" to the Miami PD, and a promise not to come back to Miami probably would have covered it.
    Fwiw, 90 days doing some physical work may have done Jim a lot of good at that point.

john lennonist and Fullbug like this.
  18. The Doctor

Unless he was in protective custody, I can't see Jim lasting long in circa 1970 Florida State Prison without getting murdered.

19. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Had he lived and not reconnected with the Doors & left music behind his legend would've grown to similar proportions as it has in death it'd be the famous rockstar walks away type shebang... bit like a Syd Barrett with a bigger profile to start with t'would have been interesting.

*I think Ray, Robbie & John would've taken him back in a heartbeat if he presented himself in semi decent mental/physical shape tbh he could come up with better material than Other Voices & Full Circle in his sleep.

20. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Hell YES, after a hiatus and Jim's legal problems sorted out, they would have all been tan and rested and ready to go.

I don't think the had real internal band problems, just legal and the mounting fan pressure tearing them apart.

Some time off and they would have been ready to go.

I wonder, The Who made their Tommy film, what if The Doors made a Celebration Of The Lizard film or any other such film.

21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Jim was not going to Raiford (state prison in Florida) for a 6 month sentence.
    He'd have been in the county lockup for 90 days tops, and with his stature, celebrity, and media coverage would have probably been the most protected, unmessed with prisoner in the history of the United States (until millonaire heiress Patty Hearst got arrested)

Sad fact of this is, the incident allegedly happens on March 1, 1969, he's arrested for it in September 1970, and the case unresolved (on appeal) when he passed in July of 1971.

Worrying about it for years probably contributed more to his breakdown than if he had just sucked it up, paid the price and moved on.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I know what you are saying, but we have to keep in mind that it's possible that one of the reasons why The Doors only grew in popularity throughout the '70's was because Jim was dead--and the circumstances surrounding his demise also added to the mystique which fueled their popularity further still....

23. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

better to burn out

24. Frobozky

Frobozky Forum Resident

If he lived, I think in order to escape his perceived problems, he would undergo slight plastic surgery and get false papers. With his high IQ and sense of humor, he might even use a name like John Doe. Perhaps return to California and start a band in LA with new people and a different genre, maybe punk.

25. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Or Tony Clifton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.