Cheapest place to order custom maple butcher block?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I'd like to get a maple butcher block for my VPI Prime (25"x16", thickness of 4" or more) to eliminate as many vibrations as possible and was wondering if anybody knows of a cheap place allowing for custom-cut maple butcher blocks I could order from.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Cheap? What means Cheap?

I've purchased a few pieces from Dawn's Depot. They used to sell on Audiogon from time to time. A couple weeks ago I was at another audio friends house and noticed a couple very large maple stands and he got the from Dawn's as well.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

I'll have to contact them because I can't see any option for custom-made blocks on their website. Thanks for the heads-up.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Off-the-wall suggestion: Try a restaurant supply house. You may find a used one that fits the bill cheaper than a new one.

The top brand is John Boos, but there are others.

Cheers,
    Larry B.

Dave and bluemooze like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

It was a few years ago, but they made me three 15x15x2 end grain cut pieces fairly reasonable.

6. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Try a local specialized counter top seller.

7. vintageaudio

vintageaudio Member

Amazon.

ZenMango likes this.
  8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've read Lumber Liquidators has it cheap and can be cut to custom sizes. We have a home center called Menards (I don't think they're nationwide but they are in a lot of states FWIW) that I'd probably get it from.

9. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I normally order my maple isolation pieces from Timbernation, but I decided to give this item I found on Amazon a try as I needed something ASAP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NG3J8N

I love it! It works perfect for my VPI Prime Super Scout and was a lot less expensive too!

10. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Don't think you need 4" for that. 2" has been found to be plenty adequate. I saw new 2" Maple Boos Blocks at East Bay Restaurant Supply in Sacramento for ~87$.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Try Canuck Audio Mart Canada's Largest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds

The person who made mine is no longer selling on there but there is another seller offering custom platforms based in Ottawa. You can save yourself a bit of cash by ordering one unfinished and staining, etc yourself.

Speaker, Stereo Amp or Turntable Isolation Platforms

In case these guys can't provide you with the platform you want, I'd register over at canuckaudiomart.com and ask there as well as you'll likely get some other suggestions for Canadian based suppliers which will make things easier.

12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Boos are really great quality, I can attest that it is a perfect isolation platform.

Ken E. likes this.
  13. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but a friend made a nice butcher block isolation platform for his Prime by purchasing two 2” butcher blocks at Costco and glueing them together after he trimmed them to size. You need access to a table saw and a couple clamps but it was about $75 all up. It looks very good.

14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

15. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

The Beatles were asking the same question in 1966 :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    timind likes this.
  16. Grayblob

Grayblob Member

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I can attest to this, I used to use one under my VPI. Amazon sells them in a huge variety of sizes.

Ken E. likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

After doing some research and thinking it over, that's what I did.

I ordered this, 2nd-hand via Amazon. Whereas the price of a new one is $136, I netted one for $49.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LXTNM/

It's 2.25" thick. With the legs, it's 3" thick. Ordered some EVA acoustipads which I'll place under the legs. We'll see how that goes.

toddrhodes likes this.
  19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Here's s second recommendation for Kobi Blocks

20. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I’ve got a thick one under my Scout II. Felt I noticed the difference. Pretty sure it came from Dawns Depot. Looking at Amazon to order a thinner one for the Cliffwood.

21. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

22. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

I got a maple block, but it wasn't a cutting board from from Arcadia Audio. You can specify the exact size, thickness, finish, etc. This was a few years ago, so not sure if he's still selling them or not. He's out of Elora, so not too far from you.

Here is his Twitter: Arcadia Audio (@ArcadiaAudio) | Twitter

He was on Canuck Audio Mart as a dealer in the past.

23. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident

Do you think the cones are needed for turntable isolation?? I was thinking of placing the maple on some isolation pads I have laying around.

24. Grayblob

Grayblob Member

liptrot, I use isolation pads personally. Cones couple and unless your stand is rock solid I would prefer to couple the turntable to the maple and use isolation pads below that.

25. mtbikenh

mtbikenh Forum Resident

Maybe not exactly cheap but I love my custom hardwood platform. They will do whatever wood you want.

[​IMG]

Liquid77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.