SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The new Oppos (203 and 205) do NOT allow SACD ripping as they use a different chipset to the 103 and 105 family, which do allow ripping.

quicksrt likes this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I picked up one of those Pioneers on sale at Amazon. It might be a few weeks before I summon the courage to tackle this but I'm sure I'll be back with hopefully not too many dumb questions.

4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I tried a different 2GB USB stick and formatted it to FAT32. Copied the AutoScript folder from my desktop to it, and what do you know? This time everything worked. :bdance:

I've ripped 4 discs so far. First two were done via WIFI (@ about 2.25MB/sec), and these last two I did with the Pioneer connected directly to my router (@ about 2.5-2.8MB/sec).

RolandG, Sevoflurane, Doug_B and 3 others like this.
  5. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Congrats. I've been ripping with an Oppo since this discovery was made last year, and I also just received a BDP-80FD (refurb) as a backup unit just for ripping.

Doug

superstar19 and Craig like this.
  6. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

What about the older Oppo's do they work? I have an Oppo BDP-93. Was curious if I should go down the "try to rip an SACD" rabbit hole...

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Nope. Not the older ones, and not the newer ones. 103 and 105.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Decided to invest in a Pioneer BDP-80FD just for ripping, and to keep my 105D for listening. Installation was a dawdle (of course, it helps to have gone through the process with the 105D), and first rip from an M-ch SACD seemed to go more quickly with the Pioneer than the Opp (3 MB/s compared to 2 MB/s, both wired internet). Also seemed like ISO2DSD ran quicker, but that could be a function of saving to a different (faster?) HDD.

Anyway, looks like I am set for the foreseeable future. Just as well after a large batch of SF Symphony discs showed up yesterday! :)

tmtomh, superstar19, Doug_B and 2 others like this.
  9. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I'm using sacd_extract with my Oppo BDP-105D to backup my SACDs to ISOs.

A weird issue: I am not getting consistent MD5 hashes for my ISO rips.

For example, I can rip an SACD, generate an MD5 hash for it, and then immediately rip the SACD again to another file, and get a completely different MD5 hash.

This seems wrong. Shouldn't I be getting the *exact same* MD5 hash when I rip the exact same SACD?

I was initially using Sonore ISO2DSD GUI front end on my iMac.

I tried it again, but using the ISO2DSD front end on a Windows machine. Same problem - I will get different MD5 checksums every time I rip an identical disc.

This is weird. Any ideas?

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a beautiful Oppo 103 I wish to sell locally (Los Angeles), thought I'd mention it before listing it in CL.

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

What's your connectivity between the Oppo and each computer, wired or wireless? Please share details on configuration / networking equipment.

The ISO file is created on an internal drive in both cases, I assume (IIRC, the program will save to the folder from where the executable runs, at least with Windows - I'm not aware of an option to change this, though I could have missed it). Are you calculating the MD5 based on the initial folder to where the ISO files are ripped or are you copying/moving the ISO files to another folder or Hard Drive first?

Have you attempted to extract the stereo (and multichannel when applicable) DSD files from the ISO files and compare them? Play them?

Doug

12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

You can if you use the ISO2DSD GUI. Not sure about the CLI.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Ah, progress. I love how these machines keep getting better with each "upgrade".

14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Is it a D model?

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I could never find that option in ISO2DSD. Where is it located?

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I can no longer edit my post but........There is no option for this in ISO2DSD but I simply move the 4* necessary small files for ISO2DSD/sacd_extract to my target location (usually a portable USB drive) and run them from there. They take up very little space.

*iso2dsd_gui.exe, iso2dsd_gui.jar, sacd_extract.exe, version.txt

17. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Right. This is what I did as well, I placed the program files in the desired folder of one of my data logical drives where I want the iso files to be created, instead of the system drive.

Doug

18. stereoptic

Thanks for that. Looks like we all think alike as I do the same thing!

19. TapeHoarderDude

TapeHoarderDude New Member

Wait. Its okay to discuss how to rip or extract copy protected material?

20. stereoptic

Ripping and extracting discs that you purchased and still possess for backup purposes can be discussed here. Trading and selling these data files is not allowed, as well discussing how and where to purchase these files is also against forum rules..

Please, let's not derail this thread into ANOTHER copyright/Digital Millennium discussion. :thumbsup:

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I bought a brand new 105D close to the end of their availability. I had it connected to my router using an ethernet cable, and set up a fixed IP address via DHCP reservation. I found that ripping stereo SACDs with it was fine (I'm tempted to say 100% of the time), however, I constantly had issues when ripping M-ch SACDs. Unlike you, I did not calculate MD5 hashes, but did use ISO2DSD to extract the DSF files -- or try to! I would mostly get an error (or errors) in the extraction. The process would continue, but there would be a glitch in the audio where ISO2DSD indicated something had gone wrong. I had to re-rip several times before I could get ISO2DSD to run without error! I was surprised to see no reports here of this issue by other 105D owners, so solved my problem by buying a cheap Pioneer (as reported above) which has been flawless.

As the 105D is set up in a stereo system, I can not hear any issue during SACD playback, so never contacted Oppo about this. I'm mostly using it as a DAC these days.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I could be way off here, but I suspect that the majority of folks ripping their SACDs are backing up/archiving them, and so the number of people who are actually making DSFs and playing them is much smaller. Of course if the software encounters an error during ripping, that would be obvious. But if it's a "silent" error that only shows up upon conversion of ISO to DSF, the reason there are few if any reports of that here is that few if any members might be actually doing that.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That certainly makes sense. The error is only discovered during DSF extraction, either via ISO2DSD, or using the arguments in the sacd_extract utility directly.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Are the people having issues extracting MCH files extracting from the SACD directly or from an ISO of the SACD? I ripped my SACDs to ISO files via my Oppo 103D to my computer first and then extracted the DSF files from the ripped ISO. Haven’t had problems myself.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I didn't try to extract the M-ch files, only the stereo portion (playback via stereo speakers or headphones), but all the discs which gave me issue with my 105D were M-ch SACDs. It didn't matter if I ripped to ISO or direct to DSF, I had the problem both ways.