Which artist's death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

John Lennon and the death of The Beatles, and Bill Hicks (who I include here because of the musical interludes on his posthumous albums).

2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

John Lennon

Tord likes this.
  3. Frankh

Frankh Lucky Man

Allan Holdsworth

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

John Lennon
    ...and Lowell George.

I could say Duane Allman, but I only really got into them in 72-3, after his death.

MungoMusic and Frankh like this.
  5. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

This would be my list too.

mr.dave likes this.
  7. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

John Martyn and Warren Zevon hit me hardest.

8. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

John Lennon

Jeff Buckley

+
    indirectly
    Woody Guthrie's death via the stock-taking Bob Dylan went through to write the songs on 'John Wesley Harding'

9. no time

no time Forum Resident

Michael Brecker, a bolt from the blue. I was sad for many days

10. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

After 20 years I've come to terms with the death by misadventure line, and unless a suicide note is found that's how it must be seen. But what I feel in my heart is that he at least had a series of premonitions of early death, the last one strong enough a few days before drowning that he rang a number of friends up out of the blue and in some cases implied that this was goodbye.
    I turned 30 very close to his death and at the time the two things sent me spinning for a few weeks. Three pretty miserable albums pulled me out of the mire, oddly. Ok Computer, Time out of mind and Sound of lies.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    MungoMusic likes this.
  11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Lowell George.

Frankh likes this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Rory Gallagher.

Jonny W and BurtThomasWard like this.
  13. Django

Django Forum Resident

Probably Kurt Cobain. I was 19 when he died. A big one for a lot of my generation.

Recently Prince, David Bowie, George Michael, Allan Holdsworth all irreplacable talents.

14. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Gord Downie
    Tom Petty
    Michael Becker

15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

John Lennon for me. I was 19 and a lifelong Beatles fan. Hearing about his death on Monday Night Football was a real punch to the gut. My friend and I talked all night on the phone, consoling each other and I ended up with a huge phone bill I couldn't afford to pay.

More recently, it was Peter Christopherson of Throbbing Gristle, my other favorite band, not to mention a little group called Coil. He died relatively young and unexpectedly and just as he was in the middle of a very productive and rewarding creative period. He may have been Sleazy but he was alright with me.

16. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Elvis and Lennon when I was a kid. Those are my first two actual memories, really. Probably because my mother was a fan of both and it affected her.

As a youth/grown man: Phil Lynott, Freddie Mercury and Pete Steele. In addition there's quite a few artists I've discovered after their deaths that I wish could have lived longer, but that is really not the same.

Lemmy was the least shocking ever and I was actually more relieved that the old man finally could get some rest. He had been a pretty sad spectacle after 2000 or so. You could tell that he was trapped in a role. No disrespect meant, just my opinion.

Osato likes this.
  17. Chris Schoen

Johnny Winter.

Jonny W and a customer like this.
  18. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Chris Cornell

Guapito likes this.
  19. Elvis

Tord likes this.
  20. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Bowie or Kobain?
    The men who sold their world.

I was 17 for the latter 41 for the former.
    Almost mirror numbers.

21. m0thra

m0thra Forum Resident

Jerry Garcia
    Elliott Smith

22. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

John and Tom petty

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  23. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

John Lennon may come in first in this "contest" for me. I was 12 at the time, and lived in a house where music was just background noise, not really important and just something you had on in the background while house-cleaning. Hearing his music during the many tributes was like a bolt of lightning to me and started this crazy obsession I still have...

Stevie Ray Vaughan was the first of my "favorites" to die suddenly and surprisingly.

David Bowie

Tom Petty

24. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

1. First & foremost, John Lennon.
    So tragic, and so unnecessary.

2. Michael Jackson. Not because I was such a fan (I wasn’t), but simply due to our age. We’re only a couple of months apart. This guy has been on my radar since I was 11, and we’ve always been the same age. I guess it just drove home the vulnerability aspect.

3. Keith Emerson. Although I did not know him personally, I followed him throughout the majority of his career, going back to the Nice.
    ELP were probably my 2nd favorite band, next to The Beatles. My impression of him over the years, either from interviews or reading his book, was that of a kind soul. Even watching a taped piece of him speaking to Rachel Flowers regarding his Moog conveyed a caring person.
    His music and his ability to perform clearly meant everything to him. It was reported that he was distraught with the concept of losing the ability to perform. He was even more devastated by the fact that he was letting his fans down. The notion that this somehow led to his decision and taking his own life is truly sad.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain because being a teenager then, it was the first real death of one of my current music heroes I got to experience, in quite shocking and tragic circumstances.

Jeff Buckley for about the same thing, and because the first report I read in the music press was unconfirmed yet and they wrote "we hope we have more positive news in the next issue". There was a blur. Was he dead? Was he still alive?

Elliott Smith because I'd gotten into his music in 2001 and it's a missed opportunity that breaks my heart to this day. Prior to 2001, I'd heard his name but never heard the music (that'll teach me for not watching the Oscars!). For some reason, I thought he'd be an annoying lame pop folkie, and he was championed by a couple of french music magazines I didn't like, so I lumped him with boring acts these magazines used to advertise...Little did I know.
    One day in 2001, I was listening to music with a good friend from college and something grabbed my attention. "Who is it?" "Elliott Smith". "What? This is what Elliott Smith is?!". I was blown away by his musicality and his words - the songwriting, his voice, everything. I was aware that he had played TWICE in my town but as i was saying I didn't care/wasn't aware at the time (in 1998 and in 2000, neither was sold out - I think there's a recording of the second show, I wish I had it) so I was like, "I hope he comes back!" and then...he died.

This well-known picture was taken in my town and I think of Elliott whenever I walk past this bar, which is often.

[​IMG]

And France Gall two days ago really affected me, because she's always been around and a very important artist from my childhood onwards, lots and lots of personal memories around her music,it's like losing a relative, no less.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018