Anyone remember Gene Hackman's Night Moves?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The paranoid '70s sure begat some great films. This is one of the overlooked gems. I really don't know if Hackman ever gave a bad performance, regardless of the film.

guy incognito and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

This and 'Electra Glide In Blue' are a gritty couple of '70s defining films for me.

jwoverho likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Three Days Of The Condor is one of my favorite movies. The Parallax View too.

Spadeygrove and jwoverho like this.
  4. jwoverho

Absolutely. Some of Redford and Beatty's best work.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  5. jwoverho

I saw Electra Glide on TV back in the mid 70's and the ending was a real gut punch.

beccabear67 likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Gave this movie a shot and have to admit it stunk. The sound of great quality, however. I suspect the whole movie was ADR'ed.

I didn't find the plot to be explained very well and there were long stretches which were boring and unnecessary. The dialogue was completely unnatural as was the reactions of the characters. It was actually funny in a few places and not purposely.

Pretty disappointed we watched it all but my wife & I thought the payoff at the end might be worth it. It sure wasn't.

I did not recognize James Woods nor Melanie Griffith in their roles. Wild to see them this young.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

trumpet sounds and jsayers like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Saw this when it came out, I believe. One of Hackman's best from the period, along with "Prime Cut."

jsayers likes this.
  9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember seeing it on tv but the end credits with the song was maybe the thing I remember most (or was that the beginning)? The song deserved a better movie... but maybe someone could still make that movie!

10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I absolutely love ''The Long Goodbye'', have it on Blu-ray, have yet to see ''Night Moves''.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

The title theme was given words by Michael Franks, and he recorded it on his Art of Tea lp, if you're looking for that song.........

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've never seen NIGHT MOVES, but am becoming more of a Gene Hackman fan. Last year I finally began to appreciate THE FRENCH CONNECTION after only ever seeing it on a wonky LaserDisc. The Blu-ray was a revelation. I've always loved THE CONVERSATION, and liked HOOSIERS. Over New Years, we watched THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE as we usually do, and last weekend I stumbled upon a TV showing the end of NARROW MARGIN.

I'd never seen NARROW MARGIN before - I'd heard of the title, but knew nothing about it. I became quickly intrigued about the film that was taking place on a train - I like train movies. Rather than watch the rest of that ugly 4:3 cropped version on TV, I decided to find it elsewhere to better appreciate it. Apparently, the best version out there is a DVD from 2009, so I ordered one from eBay cheap and we watched it last evening.

I was impressed with Gene Hackman - again, and I liked the scenery, the train scenes, and the fact that it was a Peter Hyams movie. I tend to like his movies from that era. In my opinion, NARROW MARGIN would make a nice Blu-ray. I'll keep an eye out for NIGHT MOVES.

13. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Hackman / Pacino "Scarecrow"

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Check out Michael Ritchie's Downhill Racer sometime. Robert Redford plays the main character, but Hackman gives an absolutely *superb* performance as his coach. Great movie.

blutiga likes this.
  15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I really liked Anne archer with him. In narrow margin - great film1!

16. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

It's hard to find, but Hackman is fantastic in I Never Sang For My Father. Melvyn Douglas is also great in it.

guy incognito likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I liked it more than you did but also found it to be a disappointment:

Night Moves [Blu-Ray] (1975)

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I was thinking about that great 3 in a row crime trilogy starring Matthau in the early 70's - Charley Varrick, Laughing Policeman, and Taking of Pelham 1-2-3. I wonder if Hackman was offered any of those. Those guys had some really good scripts and directors. Along with Friends of Eddie Coyle and few others, it was kind of a golden age of updated noir.

guy incognito likes this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Charley Varrick is my favorite from your list. Walter Matthau was never better.

guy incognito and Spadeygrove like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good catch! I got Hackman's name right in the part that links - it went to reviews with Hackman - but screwed up when I needed to change the name that actually displayed.

Being a one-man band at my website can be a pain! :D

Thanks for catching this! :wave:

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Estelle Parsons, too. A real downer of a movie, but an acting tour de force.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

O' yes, after seeing him in Bonnie & Clyde i was hooked...been a fan for many years...

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks, it's on my wish list!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.