Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I meant to get some of these when they first came out but never did, and then I kind of forgot about them. Are a few that are generally regarded as the best (to the degree that consensus on such things is possible)?

Erik B. likes this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Pearl Jam Official Bootlegs - Wikipedia

That's a useful link, since it shows the concerts the band thought were exciting[*]. They're known as Ape/Man shows-18 out of 72 are accorded this honor. So that might help you cherry-pick. From memory I can attest to 5/30 London, 6/16 Katowice night 2-sparsely attended and a relaxed show-and 6/22 Milan with maybe the best crowd I've ever heard on a live rock album. Ed just eggs them on, and there's a call-and-response during "Daughter" that is just electrifying. Certainly try to get those if you can. There are multiple copies of the London and Milan shows on ebay now for $13-15 a pop.

budwhite, johnnypaddock and adamos like this.
  3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks! Katowice rings a bell, I think I remember that one being praised at the time. I’ll check out the others too. Milan sounds cool.

Erik B. likes this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Nice way to wrap up the evening.

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I've already got Katowice (both nights actually) and FILA Forum 6/22/2000. Well aware of the Ape/Man shows. Thanks !

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Katowice for sure... Others that I love are the final show in Oslo and the one from Fila Forum in Milan.. It was a great tour though, so you can't go wrong.

BurtThomasWard, Erik B. and adamos like this.
  7. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

After hearing the local indy station play someones request of 13th Floor Elevators Elevation, and crapping my pants....I put on :

[​IMG]

again. Maybe 4th time this week. With my cans on, I seem to notice more of Lou's NY accent. This is easily in my top 10.

8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I need to investigate the Moody Blues; like Rod Stewart, how bad they got compromises how much I can appreciate how good they were, I think. In Search of the Lost Chord was around the house when I was a kid, older siblings etc.

I got really burned out on King Gizzard over the past two years. I need to come back to them and learn to appreciate them again. I haven't listened to anything with much attention since Nonagon Infinity, that one blew me away on first listen but started to feel a little samey and then I kind of lost track of them, although I've usually heard a track or two from most of the 37,000 albums they've released since.

I got burned with this thread, I must have missed a notification and now there are thousands of pages...wugh. Anyway, as to me, I have been listening to:

Mighty Baby (right now)

Pink Fairies Never Never Land

OCS Memory of a Cut Off Head brilliant, how many other people in 2017 release 15 good songs a year? Just John Dwyer, I think, and even though they're sort of popular I think he's underrated as a songwriter, and for some reason they're one of those bands that inspire a little bit of a backlash, as I see them dissed sometimes. Dissers: ye are philistines, nothing more

My Bloody Valentine Loveless this is great but a bit dense for me, everything is so buried and I need a better stereo to really love the experience, otherwise I need to take a rest every three or four songs

Träd Gras och Stenar Djungelns Lag (again) but Pärson Sound is better, I need to get back to that

Family Music in a Doll's House someone, I think @fairies, posted they were listening to this earlier; thanks for the reminder

I was thinking "When are they going to sing something about tea? English musicians always get something about tea in, and that goes quadruple for Canterbury Scenesters!" I wasn't disappointed, right on cue the pot started whistling during "Never Like This." I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if every song had a tea reference.

Anyway I feel like I should take a month or so to really get familiar with the Canterbury stuff, although I can't stick Caravan. Family, Soft Machine and related people, and Gong are really the only ones I like...so we'll see if I do that, maybe not soon.

Moonlandingz Interplanetary Class Classics I may have already posted since I listened to this as it might have been day before yesterday. They write really good songs, and their batting average is much better than Fat White Family, who have two albums and maybe four good songs. They even have a cool sound. But the album sounds terrible, at least on my cheapo equipment--it's cluttery and gauzy, which means I can't listen to it much, and I'm far from an audiophile (sorry, Forum).

Guided by Voices Bee Thousand I am remiss with these guys, this is the only album I've really gotten into. I have listened to Alien Lanes probably once a year for 5 years, and I think that one's growing on me, though. I really need a guide to get through them, I might as well search for any threads here. I feel like they are too prolific and hence it's too daunting for me to get through the catalog and figure out what's wheat and what's chaff. But Bee Thousand is pretty close to all wheat, I think--I mean I think the rap on them is that none of them are all wheat, but the worst I can say about anything on Bee Thousand is that I don't really remember it--if I look at the track listing I can only sing about 50% of them in my head, so there may be somewhat forgettable moments, but nothing bad. And "Tractor Rape Chain," "Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory," "Gold Star for Robot Boy," "I Am A Scientist," and probably a few others I'm not thinking of right now, are spectacular.

Sometime in the course of this post I switched from Mighty Baby to New Wave by the Auteurs. I am still not yet sure what I think of it--it's very much consciously an 80s-esque album from 1993, and the popular "New Wave" of the 80s (it is only in the past ten years that I have realized the term didn't just mean bands like A Flock of Seagulls) wasn't really my thing in the 80s, or since. But the songs here seem really good, and since it's not really the 80s they have moderated, most importantly, the sins of the drum that were committed in that decade, and come to think of it, the keyboards are surprisingly chaste--I suddenly realize that I'm not sure, given those two facts, how they are achieving such an 80s gestalt. So I may wind up digging this.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I feel a bit the same about GBV and Pollard's side and solo projects. I started with alien Lanes and it is still my favorite wig Bee Thousand my second favorite, more misses (but always short) and some higher highs, perhaps, all the ones you mentioned. I can't keep up with their catalog (same with King Gizzard, Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall, all of whom I like). The Boston Spaceships' Let It Beard might be my third favorite Pollard album, really highly recommend that one. I probably have about a dozen GBV and Pollard albums and as you know that is just the tip of the iceberg so I'm no expert there.

Right now listening to Elvis Costello and the Attractions' Blood and Chocolate, a near mint MoFi vinyl copy I lucked out to find used, one of my favorites in his catalog. Tokyo Storm Warning is one of the best '65-era Dylan-style songs done by anyone other than Zimmy himself.

rockinlazys, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  10. bzfgt

Echoes Myron too.

I agree with much of the above. I do keep up with Thee Oh Sees, because it's nearly all gold; in their case the prolificness isn't accompanied by inconsistency, I don't think. However, I am not completely familiar with all the stuff pre-name change (the original OCS stuff), probably because it's hard for my mind to absorb mellow acoustic-based music where I can't make out the words, and I've never gotten into Castlemania. I also love Damaged Bug. As for Dwyer's other projects they vary in how much I can listen to them at a time without going crazy (Coachwhips, Pink and Brown, I can't think if there's anything else), they fall into the category of stuff that I can enjoy in less bulk than a whole album's worth.

Ty Segall I do like, and I've seen him live, but every time I try to hunker down with his albums for a while I get bored with him. I think the closest thing to a great album by him is Manipulator.

For some reason I went off Elvis Costello at some point. I don't hate him but I am pretty indifferent, except for a song here or there.

Right now I'm listening to the first Devo album.

BurtThomasWard and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

12. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

13. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

The Byrds - Turn, Turn, Turn (album)

It is much sweeter than their debut. I love that band.

14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I played this recently after a looong lay off, and dan with a g if the evening
    didn't come alive with Lou. It was an amazing listen and is a great record.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and JNTEX like this.
  15. bzfgt

I listened to that this week too.

Crimson Witch, Crispy Rob and fairies like this.
  16. bzfgt

Now it is Tangerine Dream, Zeit...perhaps their second best album.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I bought it three weeks ago, but I haven't listened to it yet.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. bzfgt

You heard Phaedra? That's the one I have at number one, but this one is killing my head right now, maybe it can challenge Phaedra for the top spot...I know that one better.

rockinlazys, budwhite and Rne like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, yes, Phaedra is a beautiful album, it surely manages to take my mind somewhere else.

budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Listening on Spotify, because I don't have this one in my collection.

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

22. bzfgt

Stranglers Rattus Norvegicus

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Listening to Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time on Spotify, just to try something "new". I'm not fond of Heavy Metal, but I like some Maiden songs, and since this album is supposed to be a bit more experimental, I'm giving it a try. The remastering is pretty bad, though.
    (An album @Erik B. loves, if I recall correctly.)

BurtThomasWard and Erik B. like this.
  24. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

25. fairies

fairies Forum Resident