Your most expensive record.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Rl cut of lz2, just had to find out if it lived up to the hype
    Other than that it’s a mixture of original early 80s punk and some early 90s rock
    Unless it’s something I’m certain I won’t see again I try to keep myself at a $20 limit in shops

2. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Not a rarity around these parts, but I paid $140 for the Cisco version of Aja, but that's only because I unfortunately had to buy it TWICE!

The first copy (sealed!) was a steal for $50 on ebay, but it was accidentally thrown away!!
    Ultimately decided I really did want to have a copy, so relented and bought an EX copy from a forum member for $90. Ouch.

Spin Doctor, Maccamera and Chemguy like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

$60 Canadian for the stereo Pet Sounds from AP.

It was worth it!

audiofool and Matt Starr like this.
  4. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

$135 for a copy of Mark Lanegan's I'll Take Care of You.

black sheriff likes this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Uh...no comment.

Fullbug and steveharris like this.
  6. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

Sometime in the early 80's I spent $30 for a MSFL LP of the White Album. Money was tight, but I heard they had good sound and I wanted a copy of the White Album. Still have it.

7. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

At an art/pop culture auction in Toronto, I purchased a sealed, Mono, Livingston, Butcher cover in stunning condition for $22,000 Cdn. (including taxes and commission).

8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

A NM-, unplayed "Script Cover" of 'Born To Run' by Bruce Springsteen, complete with postcard and original mailer bag, obtained directly from a former exec at Columbia Records:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How much did it cost? Far more than I'd ever spent on a record, that's for sure. But I'd long hoped to find one in great condition, and they don't get much nicer than this one! ;)

9. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Esperanza Spalding - Exposure LP $60. Limited pressing, only 7777.

jlf likes this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'm done buying expensive LPs. I have all the 'titles' I wanted, desired, & needed, except for a few rock & delta blues, and a couple I'm sure I don't know about yet. But I can certainly 'live without them'. I'm done buying expensive LPs (and expensive CDs). Done.

NOW I'm on the $1 M- LP thrift store hunt, and doing quite well really. Got 120+ good to great titles of music last year. Just titles I wouldn't normally buy, but good titles, international albums, etc. Some major titles too! Down here in S.W.Florida the thrifts are still really good but quality LPs are getting harder to find... but not impossible, it's just a lot of searching type work. I do always search, I'm addicted, but I am getting burn't on it, but still do it. When you 'find that special one' it's a RUSH! :)

(CDs: bought 75+ MFSL @ $30 a pop (and other AF/DCC golds too - 25-30 or so), got another 40 MFSL 24k CDs new for $15 a pop when they were dumping on the San Francisco market, and bought about 50+ other import CDs in Singapore for $20-25 a pop. Glad I got them all. Did buy some expensive MFSL CDs on eBay, 15 years ago, maybe 10. Today... probably paid way too much on eBay... but who knew the bottom would go down. But still glad I got them. No problem. Aquired a lot of 'Targets' too, just bought them back in the day, didn't even know what I was buying. CDs are ok.)

What I need is a tall vertical LP storage rack preferably made out of Teak. And a few specific Delta Blues LPs too. :)

Also need a Robert Johnson 78. Don't really care if it plays correct or not, I'd just frame it anyway. :)

It's all fun!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    team2 and amcaudio like this.
  11. lester christgau

lester christgau Forum Resident

I’ve paid over $100 for quite a few records.

Falling in love with Spacemen 3 was almost as expensive as falling in love with my wife;)

12. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Twenty five dollars for a bad Who boot, back in the day. It's funny because Relay is listed as "Uncle Riley" on the back cover.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  13. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

$80 for a NM original Rage Against the Machine first album.

NUNZI likes this.
  14. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

A man after my own heart. Good buy my friend.

15. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

A signed original.

[​IMG]

The word on the street, it's worth a fortune!

schizzzo, jlf, Tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  16. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Check out these from Tony's workshop:
    Vinyl Storage Units

bluesky likes this.
  17. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I guess I've never spent more than $50 on a record. Perhaps I have a CD box set that eclipsed that figure, I don't remember the price of everything I have.

I spent:

$50 on a beautiful first US pressing of Nick Drake's Pink Moon back in 1994.
    More recently, $50 on a lovely first pressing of Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue.
    My wife spent $50 or so on a Judee Sill Intervention Records reissue for my birthday this past September.

That's my top end, I guess. I'm kind of surprised by this. I have some records that are worth quite a bit, but only because they appreciated in value.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  18. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

$350 for an only released in Japan jazz pressing

:shh: The wife still doesn't know it cost that much. And, I ain't tellin'.

Maccamera and Airbus like this.
  19. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Me too.

20. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Beatles U.K. Please Please Me on gold Parlophone label. Transition label w/Dick James credits on side 1 and Northern Songs credits on side 2. Bought it from a SH member in NM condition. Think I paid $325.
    That's the most I paid for a single LP. I do have a lot of vinyl I paid north of $100 for and numerous box sets in $200-300 range.

john lennonist and The Trinity like this.
  21. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I think I paid $40 for a nice LP copy of Mark Eric's A Midsummer's Day Dream...

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Sometimes I think I'm too dumb for this place but.... you were looking at an original copy of "Swaddling Songs" and the guy recommended an REM cd instead?

Ooooooh.... kkkkkkk..... :yikes:

PretzelLogic likes this.
  23. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

$50 for that album? Is it a rare pressing?
    How’s it sound? My least expensive record from a recent Tokyo trip was a NM Japanese BTR, for ¥350. It’s brighter than the standard US original, in a good way.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Original copy bought as a upgrade of The Chocolate Watch Band The Inner Mystique LP.Paid $50 in 1980 in NM condition valued at$125+ then well over that now.Not for sale.Money well spent to say the least.
    Also dropped $100 in 1978 for a Mint Japanese copy of John Lennon's The Wedding Album with all inserts.Again money well spent.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  25. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I’ve only rarely gone higher than $25-30 for domestic purchases. Overseas I’ve spent €30-35 in Europe, ¥4000 in Japan, etc. If an album costs more than $20 in any currency it better check off a lot of boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.