Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lucas has said in interviews that Han was an orphan who wound up on the Wookie planet Kashyyyk, and this is how he wound up meeting Chewbacca. What I don't know is whether Han was actually raised by Wookies and what his relationship was with Chewy -- brother? Friend? I got no idea. Whether they'll flesh this out in the upcoming movie is a good question. We know that young Han will be meeting young Lando Calrissian, since they already released the casting information.

2. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Chewie will be wearing a double Bandolier in the Solo movie. :shh:

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Found at last! The only known photo of Han's parents:
    [​IMG]

4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It is not so important, as long as the main characters are doing something meaningful and vital for the plot, which is not the case with most of them in TLJ. As for Rey - it is important, because TFA was mainly about her and how special she is, and most of the fans rightfully expected her background story to be revealed. The explanation that she's "nobody" and just a random girl, makes the previous episode to look like a meaningless exercise in creating a non existent mystery by cheating the audience. The idea that she's very special and that there's lot about her to be explained was going on during the whole episode 7, culminating at the very end...by what logic, of all the people, this "nobody" girl was sent to make a contact with Luke - the greatest and so important Jedi master who was hiding for so long and so carefully. Why they didn't send some people that know him well and have some importance to him? (well, Chewy was there, but just as a pet).

bluesbro and Quadboy like this.
  5. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

He didn't try enough, imo. )) I am sure it is possible to come up with different battling sides, none of which are in particular too bad, both in the grey territory, not just light vs. dark stuff, make the conflict more post-modern and adorn it with varying ethical dilemmas, thus leaving the judgement up to the viewer.

While the premise of the conflict in the prequel trilogy is not super exciting, it at least served a purpose - introduced the galaxy to the storm troopers, led to the evaporation of the jedi, allowed Sidius to rise into absolute power. What did Luke's and Rebellion's victory achieve at the end of episode VI? Jack ****. Because there is still empire 2.0 and same old rebels, both sides using the same tech for 30 years, same impractical AT AT, exactly same shapes of ships on both sides. Boring. And makes me feel like all the victories of the rebellion as well as the ultimate one at the end of ROTJ were pointless.

If filmmakers of TFA would have gone to some length at least to explain who Snoke was and how we ended up 30 years later at exactly the same place in the galaxy's history somehow, I would have been more onboard. They went with an interesting arc for Luke, briefly explained how he ended up so bitter and disillusioned after all these years. While it was surprising, I got into it fully and embraced this evolution of the character. I wish they'd gone more in-depth to explain how 30 years later things are still so dire.

6. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

It was ok for OT because there was no back story. Episode IV was the very first one. It had the luxury of not having to do full background for everything. TFA and TLJ, however, are direct continuations of the OT trilogy, so background of things becomes a must, imo.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I read that Han was an imperial pilot who rescued Chewy from being killed when Han realised how bad the Empire had become. Hence why Chewy owes Han his life and so sticks with him through everything and also why Han is such a good pilot and knows how to outwit imperial forces.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can buy that, too... but I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming film in May goes in a different direction.

superstar19 and David Campbell like this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

there is a lego 'Han in imperial costume' figure in one of the new sets....

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  10. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Wouldn't be ironic if we found out Han's story kind of echoes Finn's ultimately. I.E. an imperial who realizes how horrible they are and defects and finds a new purpose eventually with the Rebellion? It also would explain how Han sees right through Finn's ruse in the Force Awakens and knows hes full of it instantly but doesn't outright say it. He sees himself in the kid.

In fact, I'm almost betting that's the case in SOLO. It would be a subtle link to the new stories and it actually fits with one pre-established EU versions of Han's past.

sunspot42 and superstar19 like this.
  11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Thanks for that. What I can't understand, though, is the narrator's sudden understanding of the concept of Midichlorians after nearly two decades since The Phantom Menace! In the video, he dismisses its inclusion in TPM as interjecting pseudo-science as a way of demystifying The Force, in contrast to Lucas' original 1977 notes where Midichlorians were a essentially a limiting factor explaining why some could tap into The Force and others couldn't. And yet, the latter is exactly what I've been saying for about 20 years! Midichlorians explain why Luke is Force-sensitive and Han isn't; they reside in all living things, but some are, let's say, "Midichlorian-positive" and some are "Midichlorian-negative." That introduces a finite limit to the number of Jedi you can have and explains how they can be eliminated. The Jedi Order is a discipline meant to provide Midichlorian-positive people with structure to their lives and a strong moral code to live by; it's an organization that not just anyone can join. The Order itself can be eliminated, as we saw in the Prequels, but that never meant that there could no longer be Midichlorian-positive people out there; they are out there, but just lacking the training and guidance that the Order would've given them. I've been thinking along these lines since 1999 and, IMO, this idea is finally being borne out by the Sequel Trilogy, with Rey and Tamiri Blagg (AKA "Broom Boy").

How come I was able to come away with all of that in 1999, from a few random lines of dialogue, but it took the narrator of that video 18 more years to get there?!?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    ianuaditis and David Campbell like this.
  12. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

It's unfortunate that the EU is no longer canon because the Han Solo book trilogy, The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn, were amazing. A really good read, showing Han fighting in an arena in his teens, meeting boba fet when he was younger, cheating his way into the Imperial academy as an officer, saving chewie from Imperial slavery, getting to know the back story as to how he won the falcon, and why Lando wasn't too happy to see him in TESB, and how he got involved with a woman fighting for the rebellion who ends up stealing the death star plans, and how the book ties in nicely with Han meeting Luke and Ben in the cantena. But now that Rogue One came out, that story can't be used. But had they used the Han book trilogy as the story of his origins, it would have have been awesome.

[​IMG]

13. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I don't read many Star Wars books, but those were great!

14. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

You're hired.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't think it cheats the audience at all. In the end, we are all a bunch of nobodies. Who our parents are has nothing to do with most people's story. I find a lot of complaints about this movie to be very weird. The only ones I really agree with are some inappropriate (to the story) comedic moments, and the un-star wars like editing choices in the Rey/Ren force dialogue.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Do you have an image? Are you sure it's not just "Stormtrooper Han" from when he and Luke infiltrated the Death Star?

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

[​IMG]

18. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Tobias Beckett is just a Tobias Funke figure with a different shirt!

19. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I already thought that was all explained plainly in The Phantom Menace. It was a clunky bit of exposition and done at a weird place in the movie, but the concept itself was sound. It makes perfect sense and doesn't contradict anything in the following 7 movies, INCLUDING the Last Jedi. Now, one could argue it was something that didn't need explanation, but I find it ironic that many of the same people complaining they didn't want exposition of certain ideas and concepts and characters in the Prequels are now complaining that we didn't know Snoke's life story and every nuance of the political situation in the Galaxy in the Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Granted, I myself would have loved to have seen more info on the galactic political situation in TFA, and they shot some stuff for that film that went into more detail, but I'm sure Disney, ironically trying to please the people who they've now pissed off by virtue of daring even making more Star Wars movies, didn't want to bog the proceedings down in too much political stuff and wanted to keep things focused on the adventure aspect, so that's what we got.

It goes back to what I said yesterday. Much of the fanbase that complains the loudest don't know what they want, and when they get what they thought they wanted, they'll decide that they actually wanted the opposite. Thus why suddenly the Prequels that were bashed endlessly by the Neckbeard brigade for the last two decades as being the monsters that raped childhoods are suddenly starting to be reassessed as not nearly as bad as they remembered and we are getting videos like the one you were responding to.

With the hardcore fandom, whatever is the newest thing is the worst thing ever made, and the recent worst thing ever made gets reassessed as " you know...That was actually pretty good after all...COMPARED TO THIS CURRENT CINEMATIC ABORTION!! It RAPED AND MURDERED MY CHILDHOOD! #notmuhstarwars" . It's happened with nearly every Star Wars since 1999 . It'll happen with the current movie.

That's why I hope Disney and Lucasfilm largely ignores this mostly hyped up backlash and forges ahead and tells the stories it wants to tell. Constructive criticism about plot and pacing is good. Bitching about Luke Skywalker not crushing tie fighters and taking out Star Destroyers because the EU did it, is not. If the creators allow themselves to bend to the demands of what the vocal haters want, Star Wars will eventually consume itself and die. Fans shouldn't be able to hold these properties hostage.

Oops. Look I rambled a bit didn't I? My appolgies to everyone. Just felt like getting some thoughts I've had off my chest and it all spilled out.

Now I'm gonna go drink some blue milk and chill out...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    ianuaditis, bferr1 and Encuentro like this.
  20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yeah you may need a break from this thread...ha ha

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Haha!

The fact I was able to fix one of the larger problems with the film - the lengthy separation of Finn and Rey, who had chemistry together in TFA - just reinforces my opinion the film had structural flaws that should have been addressed before it went into production. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film alright, but it works often in spite of itself and plays - like most modern films - as a slew of "moments" and not as a narrative whole.

superstar19 and David Campbell like this.
  22. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Finn and Rey needed to be set apart, to highlight Rey's isolation, which makes her more vulnerable to Kylo Ren. He claims that he is the only one who understands her. If Finn was nearby, it wouldn't work. With just Luke as the grumpy old man who may have attempted child murder, it's more effective.

David Campbell likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Okay - thanks! :wave:

24. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

I'm glad in a way too that her parents are nobody. The theories going around that she was lukes daughter, or Ben's, or hans, etc, too me would be too easy, like it was when suddenly luke and leia were brother/sister. That just doesn't seem real creative. To me her being the daughter of someone we know would have been too easy and really anti-climatic, not there here being the daughter of nobody's is some great revelation either, but it is something unexpected and easy enough to accept.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, I think having Finn around and competing with Kylo for Rey's affections would be a much more interesting situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.