Are there any great films that you'd never watch again because of how depressing/intense they are?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Maybe The Deerhunter. I sat maybe because it's been a long time since I've seen it and I was pretty young. Probably should watch it again. But it's the only movie I can think of that undoubtedly fits in the "great" category that bothered me enough to not want to see again.

LitHum05 and Hot Ptah like this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Help me understand you both picking No Country For Old Men?

I think it's one of the best films of this century so far and I think it has massive rewatchability. So many great scenes that you want to see again and again. The characters are all great as well which means you want to see them again and again.

3. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Everyone should see Schindler' List once. A devastating film emotionally and I watched this before I had kids, since when I've become even more susceptible to emotional moments in films. I don't think I could make it through Schindler's List now without having some kind of a breakdown... It tell such an important story though and when my kids are old enough I will be telling them they should watch this.
    One film I found really disturbing was Shutter Island, what a bleak and depressing film that was, IMHO of course.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of Daniel Day Lewis and/or Paul Thomas Anderson :hide:

I'd rather watch a Transformers film than sit through the Master again, and although I can appreciate There Will Be Blood I couldn't watch it again. I just don't like watching Lewis be so intense for nearly 3 hours.

DHamilton and Miriam like this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree - I rewatched it the first time after a couple of weeks. I'm curious why someone would find it so disturbing. Is it just because you didn't like it, especially how it ended?

Jim B. likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm sure there are. I've been able to avoid them, after warnings here and from others. Never saw Private Ryan. No desire to see it

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm not sure if "Requiem for a Dream" is actually a great film, but I will say I rewatched it cause I happened on it one night on cable, and it's actually worse the second time around, as far as depressing, disturbing, and unnerving.

Gavinyl and acemachine26 like this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Correct, it's not available on home video. But, TCM showed it once last year in a very nice widescreen HD transfer.
    I just can't bring myself around to deleting it.

vudicus and Pinknik like this.
  9. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

By great I don't mean enjoyable but great performances by the entire cast.

10. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The Thing.

Tried watching it again (for the 10th time) couple months back. Seeing the dog get shot at and thinking about what all was to come made me feel very anxious. Turned it off.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Don't understand this mentality at all.
    If I like a movie, then I'll gladly watch it again, regardless of how it made me feel.
    A good film is a good film.

12. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Ooh, Crumb is rough. My wife was not happy with me after that one.

SMcFarlane and Strummergas like this.
  13. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

It's funny, I've seen Misery probably 3 times, and every time I'm cringing and I regret it. It's so great in the way it makes your skin crawl.

marka likes this.
  14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Midnight Express
    Se7ven

I will re-watch The Deer Hunter about every 10 years.

mmars982 likes this.
  15. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Since Harvey Pekar died I can't bring myself to watch American Splendor again. Great film, though.

Not a "great" film, though I'm sure some genre buffs think so, but Pet Semetary messed me up badly as a kid after seeing it in the theater, particularly the "Zelda" stuff. In the early 2000s the wife and I were on vacation and I made the mistake of watching some of it again on TV in the hotel room. Ruined my vacation.

16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Eraserhead
    The Passion Of The Christ
    200 Motels
    (ha-ha-ha-ha)

PonceDeLeroy and Hot Ptah like this.
  17. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Same here with Irreversible. The sexual assault scene was absolutely horrible. I literally felt sick afterwards. Just thinking about the scene is horrifying. Never again will I watch this movie.

Jackson likes this.
  18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

19. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Irreversible... felt nasty and dirty after watching that

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And I'd rather eat crap than sit through another Transformer film...;)

Linger63, Rock-C-Art, Gavinyl and 2 others like this.
  21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I found the violence, of a cold blooded killer shooting people in the head with no warning with an air device, to be something I do not care to see again. It is my personal preference, which I am entitled to. I do not share your enthusiasm for the characters, and do not agree that it has massive rewatchability. I will put my viewing history, from the entire history of film from the silent era to the present, up against anyone's.

It is all right if we disagree, if our personal tastes and preferences do not match. That is what makes life interesting, in my view.

I am glad that you find so much to like about the film.

guidedbyvoices and Erik Tracy like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, I don't think I could handle that one again. Saw it in the theater, and it ripped my heart out. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I had had children.
    The first time I saw it, I was in tears after. I'm a huge R. Crumb fan, and was mainly familiar with Charles via his fictional alter-ego Fuzzy the Bunny in Robert's work.

[​IMG]
    Since then, and coming to terms with Charles' suicide, I've watched and enjoyed the film many times.

I presume you mean The Elephant Man?

It was the first film Vickie and I saw together. We were both emotionally wrecked afterwards, and she says that's when she knew we were meant for each other.

SuntoryTime, Hightops and Hot Ptah like this.
  23. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Taxi Driver
    Cape Fear (1991)
    Wise Blood

Lightworker and Hot Ptah like this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's cool if you don't like violence in film. I guess we assume everyone is ok with that but sensibilities are different. I guess I'm desensitized to it.

25. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't mind violence per se. I just don't care to watch the specific violence in "No Country For Old Men'. Thinking about it some more, the extremely dark world view of that film is powerful, and I respect the artistic choice and skill with which it was presented, but I do not care to see it again.

I find it not helpful to try to generalize about a person from knowing one thing that they think about one film, or other work of art. For example, I love 99 per cent of Ornette Coleman's music, but have never warmed up to his "Free Jazz" album. I like avant garde jazz, and large ensemble avant garde jazz, and music that the so-called average person would find noisy. It is just that one album that I do not particular care for, not the entire style of music. Same thing with "No Country for Old Men."

SuntoryTime, Jim B. and PonceDeLeroy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.