Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

What is the source for this?

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

He made it up as a joke.

Billy Budapest and Jason Manley like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That may be the single worst change, but there are so many bad changes to choose from as the absolute worst change. The CGI is just awful.

Plan9 and asdf35 like this.
  4. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Was the Max Rebo band re-done in CGI for the 'Jedi' Special Edition? I thought it was just Sy Snootles.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It was Sy Snootles and the creature that was rapping. I don’t know the creature’s name. Perhaps it’s Max Rebo. In any event, Lucas felt the need to have both characters sing into the camera, giving us a close-up of the inside of the rapping creature’s mouth.

enro99 likes this.
  6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Joh Yowza.
    [​IMG]

Encuentro likes this.
  7. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Oh god yes that CGI does jar especially against all the practical puppets like Jabba The Hutt. Although the original puppet Sy Snootles had it 's limitations it looked a lot better. And as for that dire song well it makes me appreciate Lapti Nek even more.

longdist01, Plan9 and Encuentro like this.
  8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

And you raise an interesting point, that I think actually settles the matter. Do you think someone like Harmy will create versions to put garbage mattes and the Wampa stick BACK IN, and a bunch of people would seek those out? There would not be much desire for that, which tells me they are good fixes.

"Hey, have you downloaded Harmy's new version yet? He just got all the matte lines put back in!"

budwhite and Encuentro like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Growing up with the 1997 special editions, this was "standard" Star Wars for me. Now, having Harmy's original trilogy, it's a bit weird to not see this anymore, but I'm glad it's gone. I have to say, I'm not a fan of the original music number, either.

Robert C likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Skywalker

Jedi Master Skywalker New Member

I'm a new member here but I have been reading this forum and I saw something about Warner Archive saying no OUT but to be sure I reached out to them on twitter...

Here's what I said:

If you owned Star Wars would you release the Original Versions before they were changed.

Here's what they replied:

Star Wars is owned by Disney ;)

Now what could the wink mean are they planning something or are they pulling our tails

11. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

It could mean that you asked a dumb question and they were just trying to be polite... ;)

12. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I have no problem in principle with the Special Editions; I understand Lucas wanting to fix some of what he considered the theatrical cut's failings - things they couldn't do because of limitations in time, money, and technology - but even Denis Muren at ILM has admitted of late they went too far. If Lucas had corrected all of the optical effect artifacts - including some in Jedi that he seemingly missed in the 1997 revision - and the added CGI had been top-caliber, integrated seamlessly into the film (like Robert Wise's 2001 director's cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, a textbook example of how to do it right), plus he had restrained himself to solely changing things he couldn't do back in the day, and then left it there, no more additions or alterations from henceforth... I would have no problem with them. And releasing the theatrical versions alongside the Special Editions too in a box-set would have pleased just about everyone, except the nutters.

Lucas' original plan was to release all six films, two trilogies, the whole saga in a single deluxe box-set once the prequels were finished; why he changed that and put out the remastered 2004 DVD set, which royally screwed up the transfers and was rushed (by their own admission), I'll never know, alas... had it included both versions of the OT, beautifully remastered (2K on the theatricals, 4K on the SE versions), with all the vintage 'making of' features, trailers/tv spots, deleted scenes, etc, even with the prequels included, I would've bought that set on first day of release!!!

13. Jedi Master Skywalker

Does anyone know what became of Legacy

14. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

The talk about Warner Archive in this thread was about the original theatrical version of THX1138 not about Star Wars.

15. Jedi Master Skywalker

16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Of the special editions, the one that got it almost right is the one for EMPIRE. That one pretty much just had cleaned up effects, a few added shots here and there, replacing the old emperor with Ian Mcdarmed, and new stuff added in the background on cloud city that is an actual improvement over the original. The only real " problem" was swapping out the original voice of Boba Fett for the guy who played Jango Fett in the prequels, but that's a realatively minor quible compared to the oddball changes in Jedi, some of which damage an already Shakey movie. The new Musical number in Jedi is the absolute worst thing in the whole saga, including the prequels and the current ones. Which is why when I see internet trolls screaming that everything in the Last Jedi is the absolute worst thing ever and far behind even that musical number in Jedi, I can't take anything else they have to say seriously....But I digress.

As for A New Hope, the Dodgy Jabba CGI scene and the Han not shooting first ( which I think is overblown by the nutters, but is just an annoyance for me), I have come to actually prefer The Special Edition version over the original. The death star battle at the end is much improved IMO.

Still.... The originals should be released, warts and all. Aside from Jedi I don't see myself watching them over the Special Editions, but they are a time capsule and a piece of history that deserves a preservation.

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have an old NAS in storage. I wonder how hard it would be to get the latest, greatest movie files onto a NAS and hook it up to my RS600 or UB900? Hoping I can get a little motivation from some of you!

18. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

George Lucas once thought as you do;

"In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be replaced by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten..." - Lucas in a speech to Congress in 1988.

You don't know the power of the Dark Side...

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The windows on Cloud City would have been okay if they had been consistent. Unfortunately, in one particular scene, a window is there one moment, gone the next. This error has existed since 1997. I can’t believe nobody has caught it or bothered to fix it for the DVD or BR releases.

The dialogue change between Vader and the Emperor is just awful!

In Vader's first appearance in Empire, he says, "The Rebels are there, and I'm sure Skywalker is with them."

Later, we get this updated exchange between Vader and the Emperor.

The Emperor: "I have no doubt that this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."
    Vader: "How is that possible?"

So, Vader is aware of Luke's existence earlier in the film and is actively searching for him, but he is surprised to learn that he has a son later in the film?

Furthermore, the opening crawl states that Vader is obsessed with finding Luke.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Lost In The Flood and Robert C like this.
  20. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

My thought was always he's playing dumb with the emperor like he doesn't know about skywalker. Remember Vader wants to initially use Luke to help overthrow the emperor and take over.

Encuentro likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’ve heard that explanation before. I suppose it’s possible.

22. Agreed. However, with Wise, you are talking about a master director who responded to decades-old perceived shortcomings of the pacing, SFX, and claustrophobic feel of the film (including the absence of any establishing shots of V'Ger, other than the cloud, and the absence of any shots of where the Enterprise was in relation to V'Ger [inside? flying around it? flying over the top of it?]) and then modified it to correct the shortcomings yet still look like it had been released in 1979. Plus, the compilation of scenes that were excised or modified from the film was pretty cool. Too bad this will never see a hi-def release, because the new SFX were done in standard def.

superstar19 and The Hermit like this.
  23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah. A little odd. But to get the proper emperor is a trade off,IMO. If they would trim some of that dialogue down it would be ok.

Never noticed the appearing/ disappearing window...But again, at least you get the feeling it's an actual city in the clouds than a claustrophobic corridor repeating ad nauseum.

Still, Empire is the best Special Edition and is an example of how Lucas should have handled New Hope and Jedi.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I agree that it’s the best of the Special Editions. I’m thankful that my favorite original trilogy film has the fewest changes.

David Campbell likes this.
  25. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Kershner left Lucas with almost no establishing shot in the dailies, among others. Lucas had little margin for tinkering with the edits when it was released, or to add or change elements in the special edition.

Simon A, superstar19 and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.