The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

More doofus skeletons - arrgh! Although not quite as doofusy as last year's. Haven't decided yet whether the skeleton fish are also doofuses or not. Overall, I like the art style better but am just sick of doofus hippie skeletons.

2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

3. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Uh...folks? Is that a "Walk In The Sunshine" banner I see hanging? o_O

4. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

SQ varies considerably no doubt on unofficial releases; however, there are tons of unofficial releases that have wonderful SQ (I'd start with Charlie Miller's work and go from there to Seamons, Clugston, SIRMick, etc.). There's a lot of amazing shows (I can think of at least a dozen from '73 for example - heck, there's 4 unreleased shows from February '73 alone that are release worthy from a performance standpoint) that may have a SQ issue here or there, but are amazing shows that are must-hears for Deadheads.

bmoregnr likes this.
  5. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

I just am shocked by how good DaPs sound - better than the Plangent DicksPs

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

I was at that show! I think that Strange Remain album is a pretty good listen for what it is

7. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

Pretty sure Plangent has only been applied to the mainstream releases, not the Dick's/Download Series/Road Trips/Dave's releases.

US Blues and SBegonias17 like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Aarhus, in the middle of our school, Aarhus...

adamos, budwhite, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I believe that’s right. Norman does a fantastic job on everything, so it’s easy to think that all the bells and whistles are on everything.

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Umm, they are all the same? Charlie farmed out some of the mastering work from the huge “box” of tapes he acquired last year.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I went to grad school there (04-10). The thought of them playing the Rambler Room is just awesome. Go Ramblers!

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

20 September 1970- Fillmore East. A new transfer from what appear to be the 2nd generation reels of the entire show. The opening Uncle John's Band sounds wonderful, if the quality is consistent through the whole show this may be the upgrade of the Century.

13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Off topic but remind me guys to never ever again drive my rig through the local Passaic roads.

Thanks in advance. :disgust:

14. US Blues

Hey Brother- don't drive your rig through local Passaic roads. This warning may apply in many other crumbling cities in the old industrial Northeastern US.

PS- Don't ever try that in downtown Santa Fe, streets here were designed for horses and folks walking.

15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

7 years of grad school? Dayum. I couldn't do that. I got my M.S. in one accelerated, hellish, overwhelming year but then it was OVER.

It's about time to start hitting some 1977 shows. Last year's box first and then a chronological run through of 11/2, 11/4, and 11/5, to get ready for 11/6.

I wonder if there's a future for the Grateful Dead in the world of virtual reality. The thought just popped into my head a few minutes ago and I am now pondering its potential for awesomeness. I had a VR experience over the holidays and it was intense. Maybe it's not such a good idea, though. My head would probably explode.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I lived in Garfield, NJ for 8 years right next to Passaic and when I got my car a couple of years in by 2007, I avoided Passaic and it’s nasty roads as much as possible.

Remember that the old Capital Theatre was in Passaic and a few friends of mine saw Jerry there:)

Oh yes - I’m going to the Capital in Port Chester this Saturday:)

17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not really a venue, but a little strange...

Crispy Rob, Jerry, adamos and 4 others like this.
  18. US Blues

[​IMG]

DrLunchbox, warewolf95 and trd like this.
  19. US Blues

In the strangest of places, if you look at it right!

warewolf95 and budwhite like this.
  20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Circles around the sun?
    Another Florida venue - Pirates World - a buccaneer themed amusement park in Dania Florida (supposedly at the hotel before/after this gig is where Truckin' was written.)

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and jazz_case like this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Same source reels as what has always circulated, except for Jamie Waddell’s hodge-podge from various sources, which sounds much better in some places, worse in others.

hoggydoggy, adamos and US Blues like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed. I really like the art but tired of the skeletons

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I pulled out some CDs and the Garcia debut was the first one that grabbed my interest.

I remember from the Kreutzmann book he was paid the same as Ram Rod, who got producer credit, which insulted Kreutzmann.

Wasn't this out of print for a long time? I feel like if Aoxomoxoa went gold, this probably should have too, eventually.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  24. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

I was there! :wiggle: The Rainbow show.

25. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

One of those skeletons should really be holding a Spiedie.