My new article series on MQA.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I fully understand your skepticism (indeed, it is part of the reason that I was stunned). I have simply tried to describe what I heard, what I was told and by whom. I have heard it alleged that there were changes in the EQ, but that does not explain the improvements that I heard in clarity and imaging.

LeeS and Higlander like this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Er, I think you find that some audiophiles use Spotify at work quite happily...!

Billy Infinity, Higlander and wgriel like this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

We are through the looking glass I see...

4. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

In Stereophile Vol.41 No.1
    John Atkinson writes;
    "this time-domain compensation correlates with the always-superb sound quality
    we have heard from decoded MQA files."

I also remember reading that someone at the mag said they had to train themselves
    as to what to listen for, but I can't find the quote to pull.

Good enough for me. MQA decoded files will always sound good to me. Next issue.
    Despite claims that anyone who questions MQA is nasty, I am only seeking the truth.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

I totally get your point. People are to personally invested in sides and not facts. Sad state of affairs for both subjects.

6. So far, I am agnostic as it comes to MQA. I haven’t heard enough of it yet to have any pronouncements about its sound quality. 2L’s test bench is filled with unfamiliar recordings, and I am having trouble differentiating among the many different versions of each track available for comparison, including but not limited to the MQA versions.

At Onkyo Music, an album I know intimately well, Station to Station, is available in MQA form. I am thinking about buying it to conduct comparisons to see once and for all if MQA will be useful to me (i.e., if I like its sound quality). Of course, that would require me to purchase the album again (and again, because I will want the non-MQA’ed hi res version for comparison) for the umpteenth time. It is a really f***king incredible album and it might be worth shelling out $30 (again).

I’ve also never purchased anything from them, and the thought of getting put on another music-related mailing list puts shivers down my spine. We’ll see.

Hi Res Music Downloads | HD Audio Store | Onkyo Music

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

At LAAS, Peter played 24/88 and 24/96 files of his own work and then the MQA encoded versions on a nice Wilson Alexx system. I verified with Wilson that Peter’s original files were unaltered. The MQA version had more presence and clarity to my ears and sounded more natural.

8. russk

russk Forum Resident

9. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Sounds very interesting.

10. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

I wonder if Ayre has anything on it? Charles had strong technical opinions on MQA...

11. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

LeeS,

Even if your MQA (AKA HDCD with DR) statement is true, the target audience in your own article is the mobil earbud listener.

"At LAAS, Peter played 24/88 and 24/96 files of his own work and then the MQA encoded versions on a nice Wilson Alexx system. I verified with Wilson that Peter’s original files were unaltered. The MQA version had more presence and clarity to my ears and sounded more natural."

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

McGill University is actually doing a study on MQA and the results of will be released this year.

secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/ebriefs/?ID=685

Anyone have a current AES membership? The brief isn't open and my access expired last year. The results when released should make for an interesting read.

Personally I think MQA, in practice, will be bad, for the end consumer. Anytime one group or individual gets that much control in a market place it isn't good for the consumer. Sound wise I'll reserve my opinion till I can try it out personally with an MQA certified DAC and read the McGill paper.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Fair enough!
    Well, it is decidedly tough to do a comparison, with other changes taking place at the same time.
    True the Eq changes may not be the actual reason for your impressive audition, but me being into experimenting with EQ and other effects, can take a decent good recording and easily elevate it to another level.
    Not saying that was your reason, but just something to consider.

14. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Media/Format bashing is taken to such an extreme, in an attempt to bolster one's opinion, one would think virtually nothing is listenable nor offers good quality sound.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Thank you. Bottom line - MQA sounds better.

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Bottom line, that doesn't matter, and how it sounds isn't really the problem. If it didn't sound good, the whole problem would simply disappear.

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

Not true. 128kbps and 256kbps MP3 don't sound good and they are ubiquitous. It also looks like the studios might have their own agenda behind this push.

rbbert likes this.
  18. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I found that when shredding papers at the office, the sound is much more pleasant and harmonious when the word MQA is printed on the pages. So there might be something about this format after all.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You are right; I think I meant the problem might disappear for audiophiles.

20. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

One possible benefit of MQA (setting sound quality to one side, just for the moment) is that labels will have an incentive to dive even deeper into their catalogs than they did in the CD boom. CD resulted in tons of older music getting re-released that had been out of print for years. Yet not everything of value got re-released. If MQA makes it attractive to the label holding companies to encode and make available even more treasures from the past (not a foregone conclusion by any means, but conceivable), that will be a good thing.

LeeS likes this.
  21. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

MP3 solved an actual problem when it was introduced, reached such a critical mass it won't go away now.

The studio and Bob Stuart have the most to gain from MQA. The studios keep control over there precious master by only releasing lossy MQA to listeners. Bob Stuart has nothing but money to be gained. If MQA becomes the only format for digital delivery the consumer has lost.

How is Vinyl sourced from MQA going to go over?

gd0, rbbert and rednedtugent like this.
  22. russk

russk Forum Resident

Well fortunately for me 80% of what listen to is available now. No MQA involved.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It's easy to see why Stuart, MQA and Meridian want this obvious fact ignored; it's much less clear (to me) why the audiophile press, including LeeS, does.

Kyhl and rednedtugent like this.
  24. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Audiophile press needs hardware sales and advertising of this hardware to stay alive. It's the same reason there is never a bad review of hardware, sure sometimes a minor issue with something but never a bad review.

MQA requires new hardware to reach it's full upsampled potential.

art, Kyhl and Hymie the Robot like this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It also needs readers to justify ad rates and sales...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.