Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Pre-Raphealites are the other big collection at the Delaware Museum of Art.

We saw a Pre-Raphaelite exhibit at The National Gallery in London. It was disappointingly small but the works were stunning. The exhibit was centered on Jan van Eyck’s Arnolfini Portrait and how it in influenced the Pre-Raphaelites. It was one of the early acquisitions by the National Gallery and was a sensation just as the Pre-Raphaelites were starting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second picture really doesn’t do the painting justice. He dress really looked like velvet

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Ponce is a great small city. Before we went there, our tour book said that it had more museums per capita than any other city in the world. A lot of them are historic homes and only one is an art museum, but there are a lot of traditional museums there. The Museum of Puerto Rican Music was great. We were the only ones there when we went. They asked us at the ticket desk if we read Spanish and when we said no, they gave us a guided tour. The guide played a lot of the instruments as part of the tour. It was great.

Edit: You can tell Ponce has a lot of museums when Tripadvisor has an article on the five best museums and Yelp has one on the 10 best museums, for a city of 166K.

3. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Back in the '80s, we were going to use the Arnolfini portrait for our wedding invitation, but couldn't afford the printing (not to mention copyright, which didn't occur to us at the time).

Seeing it waaay back in a corner room of the Nat'l Gallery, we were surprised at the small size of the painting. Notice van Eyck's self-portrait in the mirror?

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That mirror and the self portrait were one of the big influences on the Pre-Raphealites. Pretty much ever detail was an influence. Since it was an early purchase by the museum and very different than what they already had, the Pre-Raphealites spent a lot of time studying it. A lot of them were students at the museum’s art school at the time. The description of most of the art in the exhibit picked out a detail from the Arnolfini Portrait that was a direct or indirect influence. I spent a lot of time going back to look at details of the portrait.

tvstrategies likes this.
  5. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I love PR in general, so much to see, so many very different geographies on the same island, it's lovely.

6. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Just finished another favorite Monet for a Christmas gift.
    [​IMG]

7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I really REALLY love looking through this thread but I wish posts would come with explanatory notes. I haven't got a clue what's going on here.

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Join the club! LOL

Andy Smith likes this.
  9. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Kees van Dongen, Promenade à cheval, oil on canvas

[​IMG]

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Symbolism is pretty much lost on me.

EddieMann and Andy Smith like this.
  11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

So pleased you posted that, a work I don't know but have been looking at for the last ten minutes.

strummer101 and Miriam like this.
  12. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

3198 x 2118

royzak2000 likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't know why this work has affected me, I am a painter I understand colour, brushwork, technical things, but I will never understand why after a number of hours I keep returning to this thread just to have another look.
    In effect it is a middle class family out for the day, the two females are looking at me but the animals have more personality, I don't and don't need to know what was in his head, maybe it is his family.
    Maybe not.

alankin1 and Miriam like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Just got back from DC. Of course went to The National Gallery of Art. I went for the Vermeer exhibition, which was excellent (and crowded) that wasn't the highlight for me. The highlight for me was Jan Van Eyck's 'The Annunciation." It was my second visit to DC and I missed it the first time. I was completely transfixed by this painting. What a masterpiece.

[​IMG]

16. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Dreams of Long Ago by Norman Rockwell. I love his work

EdgardV likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't know if it's my favorite of all-time, but I thought it was worth photographing at a thrift store for the lusty manliness of its brushstroke. For some reason, seeing this, immediately invoked the memory of eating an antipasto salad.

[​IMG]

writteninwater and alexpop like this.
  18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I’ll have to look for it next time I go.

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Always loved that.

20. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

First that comes to mind is this room of Monet canvases at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. When I’m close enough to reach it, I see piles of paint. When I back away and my nearsightedness blurs the colors I see a realistic image.

[​IMG]

bluesky, KevlarHeart, Karnak and 3 others like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Oh to be able to see them like that when the room is empty!!

KevlarHeart likes this.
  22. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

This isn't my favorite painting of all time (for me there are too many to choose just one), but I thought this thread would be okay to post it in.

I was perusing an art book a few weeks ago and came upon this image. It struck me as something appropriate to perhaps the early 20th century, a futuristic view of some sort of science fiction scenario. But I was stunned to find it was made in 1784! Called "Plans for a cenotaph for Isaac Newton" by Etienne-Louis Boullee, the image seems way ahead of its time. I can only imagine the effect it may have had on viewers of that time.

[​IMG]

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Had he been around, I reckon the guy would have been a Pink Floyd fan.

Otlset likes this.
  24. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Some people were futurists before futurists made it cool.
    Hipsters.

strummer101 and Otlset like this.
  25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Wikipedia is our friend.
    It turns out, it's a project for a building. I mean, an actual building, not just a fantasy building. This is the section of how it was suppose to work at night.
    It was never built because too demanding for materials and techniques known at the time. And expensive, I guess.