Your most expensive record.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Most paid for a single LP: $59.99 - Elephant9 - Live at the BBC (in 2017)
    Most paid for a double LP: $64.99 - The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (in 2013)
    Most paid for a box set (or anything): $209.09 - William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops (in 2012)

Eliminator Jr. likes this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I do have a particular weakness for nice Jazz LPs, the most I've spent so far on a single LP is £1,000, I've spent mid hundreds plenty of times, when it comes to collections I've spent every penny I could raise on too many occasions and sometimes thousands for relatively small piles of records, I don't regret any of those purchases, all of them were good deals, I do regret not having more money to have bought more of the collections. I've generally paid for records by selling off other records and have sold things for around the £1,000 mark a few times so I can justify to myself buying the occasional expensive gem I want more.

team2, kanno1ae and Airbus like this.
  3. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Most expensive CD:

Years ago paid over $2,000 (Canadian) for these two, mint/sealed.

[​IMG]

Have several vinyl LPs that exceed that amount.

vulcangascompany likes this.
  4. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

^ I would hope for $2K it was from Mr D's personal collection! :D :cool:

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The jazz pressings to be found in Japan are mind-blowing. I recommend the trip.

56GoldTop likes this.
  6. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

I Guess It Would Be The 1973 UK QUAD Version Of Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon W Posters.
    Emi Harvest Q4SHLV 804
    QHVL 804 A-2 & QHVL 804 B-1
    Not Worth A Lot But Sure Sounds Good

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Porcupine Tree~Signify original on Delerium Records in NM condition, paid US$75.00 worth about US$225.00 now.
    Porcupine Tree~Anesthetize 4-LP Box Set bought new when released paid US$95.00 worth about US$180.00 now.

Riverside~Second Life Syndrome bought new paid US$25.00.......worth US$315.00 now
    Riverside~Rapid Eye Movement (Clear vinyl) bought new paid US$30.00........worth US$210.00 now

Ana_thema~The Optimist bought an extra copy of the red vinyl version in July 2017, still sealed paid US$30.00....for some reason is now worth US$80.00 and I had one offer at US$100.00

My wife knows what records of mine have value, I have a note in the sleeve telling her in case I croak tomorrow..

8. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

9. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I paid about $60 for this cd ep a couple of years ago. It can still be found for around that price.

[​IMG]

10. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

"Super Hot stamper" pressing of The Beatles White Album from Better Records. I paid around $400. The album is super quiet and does sound great. It ended my search for a great sounding White Album.

G E, willied and ernie11 like this.
  11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

It was released before Rod had singles chart success with Maggie May so maybe the original UK release didn't sell as well as his subsequent albums. Good luck finding a nice copy.

Malinky and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It was also on the Vertigo swirl label which has always been collectable. First pressings had a textured sleeve. It's actually a scarce record as first pressing.

Malinky likes this.
  14. Shadderz

Shadderz Forum Resident

Outside of box sets:

€240 for a let it be boxed set in Excellent condition.

£160 for a solid blue triangle Dark Side of the Moon. Again in Excellent condition.

£150 for a British Polydor press of the self titled Barry Dransfield album.

They are all in the last year. Unsure if I'd go any higher than this for a record....maybe for original pressings of the three Nick Drake albums!

SquaRoots likes this.
  15. Trinkywinky

Trinkywinky Active Member

About 2000€ for Billy Nicholls - Would you believe

NUNZI and Shadderz like this.
  16. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

A few years ago I got into Ska, Rocksteady and early reggae in a big way, and had the means for a few years to buy original 7" - since then I've spent £200 to £300 a fair few times, but the most I've paid is £700 (it was supposed to be £600, story below) for the 7" below (that's also my copy in the videos) - it was a pair of tunes I'd wanted and been after for awhile, fair to say maybe even obsessed with :p and in those years I'd only seen a G+ copy for sale and that went for £400 on eBay! Rare as the proverbial dentures of Gallus Gallus Domesticus :D on either Ja or UK press, and in the UK it was only ever a blank promo, it never came out on a labelled press here

So when I saw a really clean UK copy in a Japanese online shop I snapped it up, especially as it meant I had a month to come up with the dosh - unfortunately for me this was 2 days before the Brexit vote and what was a £600 bill instantly became a £700 bill when the UK Pound fell badly after the vote!

mantis4tons, Summerisle and irwin69 like this.
  17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

and the flip, it's a double sider for me so I got proper value for my money ;)

18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

It must have been a later pressing as I believe Capitol didn't begin shrinkwrapping LPs until around 1964. At least that is according to what I've read in the Beatles On Capitol Records book by Bruce Spizer.

19. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

I've found over the years; the less I pay for a record are the ones I like the best.

team2 and thematinggame like this.
  20. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Share that release version with stamper please?:angel::D

21. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

That`s a good find...usually goes for over £1,000 in NM condition.

22. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

$100 for a sealed copy of the now out of print LA Woman pressing of Analogue Productions.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A NM- copy of Sodom's Obsessed By Cruelty, German Steamhammer Records pressing.

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

$25 for a used "new" record only because I accidentally ran across it in a record store in a town I was passing through:

[​IMG]

25. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I PAID $150 DOLLARS FOR A USED JAPANESE VERSION OF THE KATE BUSH BOXSET A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK....THE STORE OWNER WANTED $200 DOLLARS!NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS ONE OF HIS BEST CUSTOMERS BEFORE AND AFTER THAT DREAM PURCHASE!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.