JBL L100's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I am currently running a pair connected to a Yamaha CR 1020. They sound so good, that I have two pairs of Large Advents boxed up an sitting in my storage building. No reason to connect anything else.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have a music room about the same size, but it's so packed with audio related stuff that it just looks chaotic. Good job!

Mazzy likes this.
  3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

All you gotta do is change out a couple of components in the crossover to turn an L-100 into a 4310. It's WAY cheaper than spending the big bucks to get the 4310.

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I use to have a pair of L-100's back in the day. I sort of remember liking them, but why don't I still have them now? I must have been short of the rent or something.

I have a pair of L-20T that I think really sound good. Only paid $25.00 for them.

5. JBL Releases Updated Iconic JBL L100 Speakers

The L100 Classic uses the newly developed JT025Ti1 1-inch (25mm) Titanium dome tweeter mated to a waveguide with an acoustic lens for optimal integration to the JM125PC 5-inch (125mm) cast-frame, pure-pulp cone midrange driver located directly below. The vertical HF and MF transducer arrangement is slightly offset to the right of the woofer below, with HF and MF attenuators located on the upper left of the front baffle. Low frequencies are delivered by the 1200FE 12-inch (300mm) cast-frame, white pure-pulp cone woofer operating in a bass-reflex enclosure system that is tuned via a single, front-firing port tube with flared exit. Connections are made via a pair of gold-plated binding post terminals located on the rear-panel.

This passive, 3-way bookshelf loudspeaker measures approximately 25.5" H x 15.5" W x 13.75" D and can be oriented either vertically or horizontally. Optional black metal floor stands are available with included adjustable carpet spikes. The walnut wood frame grille is available with the iconic Quadrex foam insert in a choice of black, orange, or blue.

The L100 Classic will be available in Spring 2018 at an MSRP of $4,000 per pair.

Initial Impressions
    [​IMG]Although big bulky speakers are no longer posh, and often suffer performance disadvantages due to unoptimized off-axis response inherent in wide baffle designs, one can't help get excited about this product. Any audiophile (myself included) that grew up in the era where large speakers didn't cause a war between the spouses, holds a special place in their heart for classic JBL designs like these. When the L100 was first introduced nearly 50 years ago, few speakers could match their performance. They had lots of slam, good bass extension, ability to play very loudly, and they just didn't break. Take a look on E-bay and you will note people selling restored versions of the original L100s for $1k/pair (sometimes more). The popularity of vintage JBL doesn't diminish with time. Harman knowing this, decisively revamped this classic with modern driver technology and crossover design benefited from decades of research to usher in a new era of vintage audio done right.

old school and Jimi Floyd like this.
  6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Early versions had an Alnico woofer (cloth surround type), later versions had woofers with ferrite magnets and foam surrounds. I'm not sure about the type of magnets used on the AR dome midrange and tweeter drivers.

7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Fender Relic and Audioshot like this.
  8. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

At 4 kwacker$ it better be an epic upgrade. I wonder if the foam inserts will be interchangeable with the originals.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  9. My original JBL 100s cost me $600 in 1974 which is $3000 today. Whatever that’s worth.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You were really ripped off.

sunspot42 and Mazzy like this.
  11. In 74 my girlfriend was pissed that I spent $600 on speakers. But then she loved them. We broke up in 75.

12. Steve Hoffman

Every store in LA had them for $299.00. You could have bought four for Quad.

13. Really? The list price was $600 for the L100s then. I probably got a bit off but not much. Pacific Stereo would discount a bit. Not sure if they were in LA but based in The Bay Area.

14. Yeah I looked them up they listed in 74 for $297 each. Not per pair.

Did you see them for sale in East LA inside a parked van ?

15. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

So, what do you think, is the next generation L100 going to be a life changer with unmatched drivers, or just a $4,000.00 rip off, what are your thoughts?

16. Steve Hoffman

I still have my Pacific Stereo receipt: $299.00 plus tax for the pair. Later turned in and upgraded to "Pair AR3a $399.00 +tax."

808_state and Mazzy like this.
  17. Maxxwire

Maxxwire Forum Resident

18. Not a one speaker mono thing ? :tiphat:

You got a good deal. Sam Francisco was expensive.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Loved those ARs.
    My musician roommate had a full AR system in mid seventies. Turntable, integrated, and speakers.
    Sounded Fab.

20. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Don't feel bad, Mazzy. I paid around $500 for a pair of Bose 601's in 1978, and had to save up for a couple months to do so.

I think you got the much, much better bang for the buck and ROI.

21. old school

old school Senior Member

I bought four of them in 1974 at $333 each at Stereo Lab in Glendale Ca. Still have them & they sound awesome & still look new I just re-oil the walnut cabinets as needed to keep them looking new. I hear their back again for $4,000 a pair. I need new grills lol.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Chris Schoen likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I bet "Spanish Castle Magic" sounds awesome cranked through those suckers. :righton:

Mazzy and old school like this.
  23. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Steve’s story says it all. What I remember about those JBL 100s is they always sounded good to me, at some record story when the employees were playing Led Zep or other 70s rock. But whenever one of my friends bought them and I listened to them at their home they sounded terrible. I usually wanted to run out of the room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.