Joe Satriani "What Happens Next" to feature Chad Smith & Glenn Hughes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prowler5150

prowler5150 Forum Resident

Did anyone get the PledgeMusic download? I'm wondering if it is hi-rez flac or not.

2. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

I am at work so I have not downloaded it yet...it is a 355 mb download if that tells you anything

3. prowler5150

That doesn't sound good. I would expect 1GB - 1.5GB for zipped 24/96 FLAC. I guess HD Tracks it is. That is kind of surprising as Satch even released the free EP in 24/96. You'd think the PledgeMusic would have included it, at least as an option.

4. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Free EP you say?

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

He means the five track "Supernova Remix" EP.

JasonA likes this.
  6. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

7. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The hi-rez flac download is 1.11 GB.

8. TwentySmallCigars

JasonA likes this.
  9. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

Anyone get the HDTracks download?

10. prowler5150

From PledgeMusic?

11. TwentySmallCigars

No, but the hi-rez files should be the same size no matter where they're downloaded from.

12. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I was pretty unimpressed with this it was boring and unimaginative he could've just phoned it in on a loop station with similar results.. lifeless it's a pity

13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I've felt this way about most of his stuff since The Extremist.

James5001 likes this.
  14. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

I differ on this. I really like this one as well as his last one. To each his own :)

SuprChickn77 likes this.
  15. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I hope It is good. The owner of The musicstore in my town has borrowed It to me.
    Have to listen to it.

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got the CD, decided against the vinyl because I have not been that impressed with his current work. No doubt this album was rushed because of their schedules, but this sure is a lot better than I expected, easily one of his best releases in years IMO.

My favorite three songs are - Headrush, Looper, and Super Funky Badass. Joe, Glenn, and Chad form a very tight instrumentation outing here and the playing is excellent throughout and I for one am glad there are no vocals. Let them concentrate on their instruments here!

My issues are the same as some of his past releases though, stop running up and down the scales so much, it gets redundant. This album soars when Joe stays away from that and plays with more style/finesse if you will.

The sound of the CD is not bad for a new release and no where as compressed (all though sure it is some what) as other releases of late.

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Finally got this - and it's my favorite Satriani record for quite a while. The trio really locked in and sound great together. Highlights? Cherry Blossoms, Headrush, Looper, and the title cut. Best record of 2018 so far for me.

JasonA likes this.
  18. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Vinyl contains the hi-res downloads? I want to get the vinyl, but I've gotten all the others in hi-res so I'd hate to break up the set. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate whether it has downloads at all.

I felt this way from Crystal Planet up until Black Swans, but that album and Unstoppable Momentum are two of the best in his catalog, IMO. It seemed like he was having the input of the musicians he was playing with more, since a lot of the mid-career stuff was Joe writing 'in the box'. Supernova didn't excite me, but I'm looking forward to this one all the same.

bruce2 likes this.
  19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Meh. A generic tune in search of a melody or hook. Pretty generic squashed production as well. I expect a lot more out of Satch.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Cool maybe I need to check those out. I recently pulled out Crystal Planet and Strange Beautiful Music and gave them a spin. In both cases I got bored after a few songs and they went back into storage. However I listened to The Extremist in its entirety and really enjoyed it!

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm finding it tough to get into this new one. As much as I love Glenn Hughes (and have nothing against Chad Smith), and very much prefer albums recorded "live" with guys playing off each other (which I think this is?) I'm only hearing one or two songs with melodies that grab me. The rest is impressive playing but to use an analogy of throwing food against the wall and seeing what sticks, not much of anything is sticking to the wall for me. With the huge backlog I have now of other new music to listen to, I doubt I will ever even listen to this again....at least not in the near future anyways.

But I feel the opposite about both Crystal Planet and Strange Beautiful Music. I love both of those albums. SBM is probably my fave Satch record despite it having a song I hate (the cover of Sleepwalk).

DPM likes this.
  22. Received the vinyl set of this new album today. No download card with the European vinyl pressing. Is there supposed to be one?

Pressing quality seems good.

23. progmog

progmog Senior Member

There was no download code with this, Roland. However, I did get a free mp3 download courtesy of Amazon, which is where I bought it from.

I agree about the pressing quality.

rjstauber likes this.
  24. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I just got this at HD Tracks with the Best of 2018 discount code. I was sad to see that is so compressed.
    All 6 and 7 DR numbers. Sounds really squashed.

I am guessing that means John C. wasn't involved?

25. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I tried out a needledrop of the vinyl and it sounds exactly as squashed as the CD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.