Todd Rundgren new SACD titles, mastered Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Nov 22, 2017.

1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I know your pain....

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

A Wizard A True Star!

3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I don't know your pain, but I feel your pain.
    Give her your CC and go buy something for herself.

4. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Yes, Amazon has now changed my ship status to "Coming Soon"....looking forward to hearing your opinions on how this remaster sounds.

5. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Why do they HAVE TO print the bar-coding right on the artwork?

Why not just sticker it on the plastic outer wrap?

metallicramen and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

For starters the bar code identifies each specific release. No bar code no associating ID.

Still I agree there has got to be a better way aesthetically speaking.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Could not agree more. I HATE the way artwork is ruined with bar codes and silly FBI warnings.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

matrix/runouts and SID codes can do that much more subtly. Also, in some cases there are different releases/pressings that share the same barcode, although that won't be an issue here.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Possible mix-ups between the title and the code.

10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Are matrix/runouts and SID codes small enough to place on the CD jacket spine?

That would be my preference.

11. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Yeah, those matrix/bar code thingies are horrible, but how the heck does this thing sound?

supermd, Grampire, chaz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think I can authoritatively say...nobody ever wants to be the first to give their opinion on a new release around here. Look at any number of threads where new discs arrive to people who ordered, pre-ordered and stole the first of the batch...and then you see posts and posts of dancing around ("not going to open it here at work..." "want to wait until I procure that bottle of Dom Periogn first; now, where'd I put my wine cellar..." "umm, my dog ate it...") witholding opinions until somebody else goes first. :laugh:

13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Then let me be the first to say, "after you." ;)

(I haven't bought this new release yet.)

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, but...I don't have one. I bet I don't even buy one. I never had either of those two essential albums.

15. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I’m afraid it doesn’t bode well that the people who have copies are staying mum about the sound.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They are small enough to place on the inner ring of the CD itself, which is where they can be found.

Monasmee likes this.
  17. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Hey, I have that same 5-disc player! Sony DVP-NC650V, yes? While we're waiting for reviews of the sound, I'd like to ask this poster a question about the player, if that's all right. Sorry to tread jump or whatever, but I've been scratching my head about this issue for a year now, and so here we go:

I have my 650 in my front room now and only use it for 2 CH since my Marantz doesn't have analog 5.1 inputs, But when I had it in my back room I ran the analog inputs into a Yamaha and kept having trouble with the bass management. I could increase the subwoofer by 10dB but to get the proper balance you need to lower the volume on the 5 speakers by -5dB and then hike the volume accordingly on the receiver's MCH input. Once I did all of that, it sounded amazing in 5.1. But as soon as I turned off the unit, or put it in standby, the surround speakers would revert to 0dB, which wiped out half the bottom end. I could reset the speakers each time I played a MCH disc, but eventually I traded it out with a Sony SCD-CE585 I had lying around, which I run through an Outlaw ICBM that I refurbished. No problems with reading SACDs yet on either machine, by the way! Yet, I should say. In any case, have you had similar problems with your DVP-NC650?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Years ago I sold my outdated CD collection (to help subsidize remasters) to a second hand music shop who scanned the jacket bar codes whereby his computer informed him what each CD version was worth.

Is that possible to do with matrix/runouts and SID codes?

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! Talk about artwork, matrix codes and Sony players but no mention of the SQ of the SACD :laugh:!

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

It is quite amazing and seems to happen with many new release threads. Pages and pages of where to order from, who is the cheapest, who delayed shipment, etc. Then when the product is actually released not much discussion about the quality of it.

Dave, supermd, formu_la and 6 others like this.
  21. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Guess we're all waiting for the weather to clear before the planes take off. ;)

chaz and Bill Mac like this.
  22. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Alright everybody, please stop this avalanche of reviews on the sound quality of the Todd Rundgren SACD.

I'm getting a massive headache. ;)

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Please lets get back on the topic of Sony players. Enough of this Todd Rundgren SACD nonsense ;).

24. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Okay I'll be the first to step-up to the plate. The three sources are:

LP purchased in the first several weeks of release Bearsville BR 2133 31554-1C Sterling RL both sides VG+ little surface noise
    CD Rhino/Bearsville RNCO 70864 AAD Rhino Bill Inglot and Ken Perry at K-Disc
    New one

My LP has been played to death over several decades but always took pretty good care of my albums.

Have always preferred the LP to the Rhino CD. Rhino CD isn't terrible but not great. On the new SACD, it is a little more forward in presentation. The soundstage is a little wider than the LP. There seems to be more clarity and a bit brighter but not in a boosted bad way. I sense a lot of air around the instruments.

I really like it but I don't find it to be a huge revelation compared to my other two sources. As you can see from my profile, I don't have the most revealing system so YMWV based on what equipment you have.

I think Kevin Gray did a great job and it is enjoyable.

audiotom, Merrick, snkcube and 13 others like this.
  25. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I don't have an SACD player, but I can talk about the Red Book layer.

My favorite digital version of AWATS I downloaded from a Todd fan site. The source is a commercial reel-to-reel tape. It sounds better to me than any of the official CD releases.

I've only listened once, and only compared a few songs, but this CD sounds as good to me as the RTR version. That makes it, for me, the best available version on CD.