Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Wrong Creatures" due 01/12/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

For me the three great ones are the debut of course, Baby 81 and Spectre At The Feast. I almost never play anything from Howl or Beat The Devil's Tattoo.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

Seems like one of those bands where everyone has different favorite albums.

I'm gonna give this new one a little more time, then I think it's time for a ranking of BRMC albums!
    I'd like to see other people's rankings as well.

Neonbeam and CrombyMouse like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

There was a time when I thought Howl was the best thing they’d ever done.

At this point, I think it’s between that and the debut album for their best work.

Still have great memories of driving cross-country with my Dad, moving out to Los Angeles for the first time and listening to Howl in the car CD player the week it came out, while at the same time Hurricane Katrina was ravaging New Orleans.

johnnypaddock and Neonbeam like this.
  4. BRMC practically re-invent themselves with each new album. They've been far more adventurous in their musical choices than I expected after the debut album.

Anyone hear some of BRMC in the Black Keys? I would bet decent money that the Black Keys had the BRMC's debut on repeat play.

Galactus2 likes this.
  5. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Just giving the vinyl another play and my new stylus is making this baby sing, nice flat pressing, I've put it through my Project RCM for a clean as always.

Liking what I'm hearing on the second play, it seems to be jumping out at me more now, yes it's quite layed back with the odd up in tempo but enjoying the vibe from this album, they certainly don't offer up the same thing again and again, got to respect them for that.

My Wife is the bigger fan and she rates Baby 81 as one of her favourites but I think the debut is most likely her favourite. Surely it's time the 2nd album gets a vinyl reissue, I presume the rights are wrapped up in red tape hence why it's the only album not available apart from BTDT.

We only have that to complete the collection, wisely grabbed BTDT when it came out, I believe that is out of print now?

6. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Teaching my three year old some letters with her puzzle, and for some reason I wrote this while we listen to Wrong Creatures:

[​IMG]

I only lack Take Them On... on vinyl. Would really like a re issue there.

realkilroy and omnisonic like this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The vinyl pressings is fantastic. Dead quiet. Further proof that 180g is nothing but a gimmick

Turntable and Mr Mojo like this.
  8. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Here we go:

Baby 81

BRMC

Wrong Creatures

Specter At The Feast

Take Them On, On Your Own

Beat The Devil’s Tattoo

Howl

9. slop101

Mine!
    (so far...)

1. Baby 81
    2. Howl
    3. Beat the Devil's Tattoo
    4. Take Them On
    5. BRMC
    6. Wrong Creatures
    7. Specter at the Feast

10. Chrome_Head

1 BRMC
    2 Howl
    3 Take Them On, On Your Own
    4 Beat The Devil’s Tattoo
    5 Wrong Creatures
    6 Spectre At The Feast
    7 Baby 81

Special mention for the marvelous EP of Baby 81 outtakes, can’t remember the name of it right now. Better than what was on the actual album IMO.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You think so? I always thought BRMC have two kinds of songs, "Berlin"-type fast tunes and "As Sure As The Sun"-like slow, building, meandering tracks. All shot through with a dark atmosphere between redemption and condemnation. And a sometimes ham-fisted attempt at explaining the world. In fact I find some of their lyrics cringe worthy, Peter Hayes surely has a bizarre take on reality.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Ranking their albums? Since I still haven't got the new one:

1. Howl
    2. BRMC
    3.Spectre At The Feast
    4. Baby 81
    5. Take Them On
    6. Beat The Devil's Tattoo
    7. Effects Of The 666

The difference between the albums above is minimal, I think "Howl" is a bit better than the rest and "666" clearly shows BRMC's shortcomings - and is a lot worse - but I'd rank the rest rather similar.

13. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

1. BRMC
    2. Howl
    3. Baby 81
    4. Take them On

The last 3 do nothing for me including the new one. :shrug:

Saw this band on each of these album tours as well. Howl and Baby 81 shows being the best.

14. Chrome_Head

Don't forget, they also sometimes do Dylan-esque, acoustic troubadour stuff, rustic songs like the title track "Beat The Devil's Tattoo" or much of Howl. Robert also does many moody ballads.

I kinda have to agree that Hayes' lyrics are iffy some of the time. Other times, they're great, and he's still probably one of my favorite singer/guitarist/writers in modern-day rock.

"Cool story, bro" time, a band I was in was practicing at a rehearsal spot in Burbank, I believe it was Nightengale's. Was around 2010. The place had bigger rooms for rent and smaller, almost closet-sized rooms where bands could store their stuff and play in, lockouts they were called. I walked past the door of one and heard noise that was unmistakably BRMC. Sure enough, we took a smoke break, and outside in the common area, I see Robert and Peter there smoking cigarettes and looking cool (no sign of the drummer). I didn't approach them, as they seemed to realize that I recognized them and they didn't seem to want to be approached.

I have still yet to ever see this band live.

Crazyhorse11 and Neonbeam like this.
  15. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Heads up - when you don't like 4 albums on the trot by someone, you *probably* don't like them any more :)

16. American X is the outtakes I think. It's good but my favourite is the Howl Sessions outtakes album.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Cool story! Got one too: Like ten or eleven years ago I was due to interview them, arrived at the venue in the afternoon, wearing my - then obligatory - leather jacket. Black, of course. Since I knew the stage door I walked in when I was approached by a roadie or technician: "Ah, there you are! Come on, I'll show you around!"

Errrr..... ok... I know this venue by heart but go ahead. So I got a tour of Berlin's Postbahnhof and it was only when he told me, that he would lead me to "my room and beverages" next, that it dawned on me what exactly was going on. For a second I toyed with the idea of keeping this charade up for a little bit longer but I told him instead: "Ey, I'm not in the band. I came to interview them!" The expression on his face:evil:

So: For at least one person I was in BRMC for about 5 minutes. Not bad, eh? All you need is a leatherjacket. Black, of course. And some knowledge of the venue.

When they finally arrived I got Robert as interviewee and he was really nice.

Sorry if I told this one before......

CrombyMouse, Mr Mojo and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

That's the one--love to hear them rocking out with wild abandon like on the track "The Likes Of You". I really need to unearth that CD from my closet, haven't heard it in ages.

The Howl sessions one is pretty good as well. Though I can see why they left those tracks off of the album.

I still remember how shocking it was to hear Howl for the first time, it was very different for them, and a bit controversial (my sister saw them on that tour, and she reported to me that someone screamed out "Whatever happened to my rock & roll???" during one of the all-acoustic numbers; she said either Robert or Peter quickly shot back "if you find it, you can keep it!"). I didn't care for it at first, but it grew on me a lot, and quickly.

Nice one!

CrombyMouse and thewolfshead like this.
  19. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Need to check out the new album. Unfortunately I see they are playing Brooklyn instead of Manhattan on the tour.

20. Chrome_Head

I see they are wrapping up the first leg at least of their stateside tour in Los Angeles, end of February. I better go and see them for the first time.

21. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Seen them twice, they are really great. Go see them.

22. Chrome_Head

Really don't know why I never have, it makes no sense to me as they play out here constantly.

Was just looking at tickets, I will go this time for sure.

23. slop101

Hey, quick question - did you get yours yet? I got shipping confirmation a few days ago, but it should take a while to get to California from Germany. So I assume being in Berlin, you should have yours by now. If you do, how's it sound?

(I've just been listening to a highly compressed digital version so far - amazon still doesn't have any physical version of the album available yet, which is weird)

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

My standard vinyl copy is flawless. Sounds excellent and very crankable.

Going to download the 24/44 version now so I have a digital copy as well

slop101 likes this.
  25. slop101

Cool.
    Was yours pressed in Germany? I'm assuming one pressed in DE is just as good, if not better, than one pressed in UK or US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.