1970's Live Album Checklist And Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 131east23, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

This.

Along with

Poco--Live 1976

[​IMG]

Archive release:

Poco--Live at Columbia Studios Hollywood 9/30/71
    Poco--Live: Wollman Memorial Skating Rink, NY. 22 Aug '75 - Remastered
    Poco--The Last Roundup (1977)

alchemy likes this.
  2. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Rory Gallagher Irish Tour '74

Natvecal. and Spadeygrove like this.
  3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

This should be considered in any 70s live album thread. He was brilliant back then. What a set list.

[​IMG]

Randoms likes this.
  4. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

ROXY and ELSEWHERE

can't wait till the box set comes out!!

Spadeygrove and John Fell like this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Humble Pie Performance-Rockin The Fillmore is one of the essential Fillmore LPs.

J.Geils Band Live-Full House the best album from 70s staple act not to mention one of the 70s best live acts.
    A must have.

Elvin Bishop Live Raisin Hell is smoking document of Elvin tearing it up in front of a rowdy handful of admirers. Another must have.

Roxy Music Viva!Roxy Music is a exellent document of the 1970s most stylish rockers.Also Bryan Ferry was the most soulful of all 70s male vocalists.The man had enough soul at this time to sing for Motown.

Roxy-Live is a various artists package that is the birth of English punk.

Lou Reed RocknRoll Animal is Lou with a twin guitar attack doing his best glam-rock act.The intro to Sweet Jane is worth the price of admission alone.

Allman Bros Eat A Peach the live stuff is on par with their definitive At Fillmore East.

John Lennon Live Peace in Toronto 1969 although released in Sept 69 it got plenty of airplay in the early 70s.Side 1 was as close as we would ever again hear John return to his raucous RocknRoll roots.Raw ragged and Rockin just like the best RocknRoll. Fun.Fun.Fun!

The Who Live at the Isle of Wight is simply the best live recording from the best live band to ever grace the stage.Every member is phenomenal.
    A much better representation of the 1970 Who show than Live At Leeds.THIS is what the Who sounded like live in 1970.Period.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    jay.dee likes this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I dearly love the REO live album. Great to hear Kevin singing stuff from the first two albums.

I like Head East a lot but I wasn't aware of this record. I'll have to check it out.

zphage likes this.
  7. samthesham

A couple of additions to my initial post.

Commander Cody-Live from Deep in the Heart of Texas is probably the 70s most fun live album.Every song is a down right blast to listen to.Beer
    drinking music at its finest!

Van Morrison Its Too Late To Stop Now is wonderfully executed document of Van The Man at the pinnacle of his live 1970s powers.Get the Deluxe Box set its 3CDs & DVD taken from the same tour.

Van The Man(Amazing Korny Fone boot)contains classic Van but its the only place you find Vans beautiful 18+ min. Caledonia Soul Music.Essential.

Stones Live'r Than You'll Ever Be(TMOQ boot) is a scorching live performance of the Oakland 69 show.It contains definitive versions of Love In Vain&Midnight Rambler. Experience this live Stones LP and you will forget the others.Probably the Stones greatest live music with Mick Taylor.

Lynyrd Skynyrd One More From The Road proves why these Southern boys were a major concert draw during their era.All the members are firing on all 8 cylinders.We get a glimpse of a great band performing at the heighth of their combined powers.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Excellent choices right there. Could not agree more with Live Full House by J. Geils. Too many of my friends with casual ears associate them with the pop pablum of 'Freeze Frame' or 'Angel in the Centerfold,' but 'Live Full House' is way more true to their roots. A very underrated and over-looked 70's live album.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread, so am not sure if anyone has mentioned 801 Live, so I'll toss it in as another over-looked 70's gem.

jay.dee likes this.
  9. samthesham

I saw them(Geils) live many times in from early to mid 70s and that record is a better representation of their live show than the 2LP Blow Your Face Out! from 1976.I have never seen any performer with more stage energy (excluding 70s Iggy) than Peter Wolf.We got 5 encores out of them in 1973.5!Somebody needs to release a DVD of the band in their 70s prime.

Galactus2 likes this.
  10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Not trying to thread hijack, but I'm from Mass, so got to see them and Aerosmith many times in and around Boston. Not once in the 70's did I see J. Geils put on a bad show. Aerosmith, on the other hand, is a different story for another time.

11. samthesham

I'm
    UOTE="Galactus2, post: 17896480, member: 75966"]Excellent choices right there. Could not agree more with Live Full House by J. Geils. Too many of my friends with casual ears associate them with the pop pablum of 'Freeze Frame' or 'Angel in the Centerfold,' but 'Live Full House' is way more true to their roots. A very underrated and over-looked 70's live album.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread, so am not sure if anyone has mentioned 801 Live, so I'll toss it in as another over-looked 70's gem.[/QUOTE]
    Im a huge Roxy fan(atic) since day one.I have wanted to experience the Phil 801 stuff.I your opinion which 801 should I start with?What a great guitarist that one.

12. samthesham

Yeab TE="Galactus2, post: 17896533, member: 75966"]Not trying to thread hijack, but I'm from Mass, so got to see them and Aerosmith many times in and around Boston. Not once in the 70's did I see J. Geils put on a bad show. Aerosmith, on the other hand, is a different story for another time.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah no love for Aerosmith at all I was into the groovy Dolls thing.But seeing Geils on their home turf must have been more than memorable.I saw them 3 times and like you stated they never put on a less than stellar show.My God how could any human being hope skip jump etc with a damn microphone the way Wolf did.That still amazes me!So no one gets confused we are talking about a complete mic stand not a hand held mic.

13. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Im a huge Roxy fan(atic) since day one.I have wanted to experience the Phil 801 stuff.I your opinion which 801 should I start with?What a great guitarist that one.[/QUOTE]

If you're a big Roxy fan, I think you'll really like '801 Live'. So I'd start there. The 'Baby's On Fire' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is worth the price all by themselves.

samthesham likes this.
  14. samthesham

If you're a big Roxy fan, I think you'll really like '801 Live'. So I'd start there. The 'Baby's On Fire' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is worth the price all by themselves.[/QUOTE]
    Is the TNK a Beatles remake?That just happens to be my fav Beatle track!

15. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Oh yes it is. :D

16. samthesham

That will definitely go into Feb music budget.Its time for something new & fresh from a old friend.Right now I am Beatle,Stones,Dylan&Dead out.This will be a nice refreshing change.Thanks.

Galactus2 likes this.
  17. samthesham

That Curtis Live turns up quite a lot in music circles.Im going to go on with the purchase and experience what all the talk is about.

zphage likes this.
  18. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

The Enid, Live At Hammersmith Vol 1 & 2. Recorded in 1979; Volume 1 has the mighty Fand.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completely different styles, but great performances and recordings, Lindisfarne - Magic In The Air and John Stewart - The Phoenix Concerts.

jay.dee and carlwm like this.
  19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Very good call with the Lindisfarne LP. I’ve not played that for years. The definitive version of ‘Meet Me On The Corner’. You’ve prompted me to go on a loft search.....

Randoms likes this.
  20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I like the Mar y Sol album. Bought as a cutout. But the Billy Joel unreleased set from that fest is really good. He will never put it out though.

21. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Though purists may lament the geographic transplantation, and while a couple well known '56 & '58 releases from the Holy Land are collection cornerstones, the Newport Jazz Festival hosted across divers venues in NYC 1972 likely exerted a greater gravitational pull on a broader spectrum of talent at the time than could have been achieved by recycling the old format in CT. It was an admirable - if short lived - experiment and brought together a towering cast while producing an indispensable document of not only the time, but an historical genre retrospective.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, the original 6-lp release occurred shortly thereafter in 1972 on Cobblestone-Buddha; clearly I've posted the more recent CD release./K

22. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

You could build a healthy collection of LP's with Live recordings in this era!

ponkine and Yankeefan01 like this.
  23. Tom Kitch

Tom Kitch Forum Resident

The Kids Are Alright Soundtrack - The Who. Pretty much all live performances including the best performance of "Won't Get Fooled Again" the I have heard.
    Short Circuit: Live at the Electric Circus Compilation of early live performances from the Buzzcocks, The Fall and Joy Division among others.
    Message to Love: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970
    Concerts for the People of Kampuchea
    - Concert performances from The Who, the Clash, Wings and many others.
    Beating Hearts/Small Songs with Big Hearts - Buzzcocks. Released in 1990, a double CD of two live shows from 1978 & 1979
    Live at the Roxy Club - April '77 - The Buzzcocks
    The Blow Up - Television
    Live at the Old Waldorf 1978 - Television
    Live'76 - The Sex Pistols
    Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix
    Live at Hull 1970 - The Who
    390° of Simulated Stereo - Pere Ubu
    One Man Drives While the Other Man Screams - Pere Ubu
    Wire on the Box: 1979 - Wire

jay.dee likes this.
  24. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Happy to see someone else loving Live from Deep in the Heart of Texas . One of the most underrated live albums of the 1970's.

25. Hilly

Hilly Forum Resident

10cc - Live and Let Live (1977)

jay.dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.