Abbey Road - Leaner, Meaner and MUCH Better!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Reynolds, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

I've really got to disagree with the following statement from the OP: "Gone are the weakest tracks on the album in "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Oh! Darling" and "Octopus's Garden". C'mon... they really are."

I love all three tracks and find them essential to Abby Road.

OldSoul, somnar, billy1 and 3 others like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Talk about your epic fail.

3. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Those three are most of the reason I rarely listen to Abbey Road!

Come Together, Here Comes The Sun and McCartney’s bits of the medley are top grade, though.

4. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Probably a controversial opinion, but I've always personally considered YNGMYM to be the start of the Medley :) *shrug* (IMO Because can be excised without disrupting the flow of everything after - but the rest is interwoven/connected in a way that they cannot).

GLYNSTYLER likes this.
  5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

If Lennon trimmed his beard and McCartney put some shoes on it would be a better album. And of course, Harrison wearing double denim really dates the whole thing in my opinion.

6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I agree with this :) Oh darling does it's place but the other 2 ruin side 1 for me...

Ducks

Willowman likes this.
  7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

C'mon people, Octopus's Garden is a joyful soundscape of Ringo goodness. With gobs of chunky instrumental tastiness. Listening to the cd in the car today I was even warming to Maxwell :hide: - George on bass? The bass lines pound away. It's almost passive aggressive bass playing :D

OldSoul and wayneklein like this.
  8. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Oh Darling is great due to it's almost animalistic expression, it's power and emotion. Could never be construed as weak. Love that tune.

OldSoul, Fivebyfive, forthlin and 4 others like this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I felt like it was a classic the first time I heard it. I still feel that way.

forthlin and Tord like this.
  10. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The second Capitol creation should feature the missed off songs plus Hey Jude/Revolution, and the 1969 singles!
    More product, bring it on!:winkgrin:

notesfrom and blutiga like this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Next Thread:
    Let’s remove Back In The USSR, Birthday, and Revolution from The White Album

forthlin and Paperback Writer like this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Come Together
    Something
    Here Comes The Sun
    Hey Jude
    Across The Universe
    Because
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    Sun King
    Mean Mr. Mustard
    Polythene Pam
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
    Golden Slumbers
    Carry That Weight
    The End
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)

13. Nope. Nope. Nope.

14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

[​IMG]

Better yet, let's have One Direction re-record your truncated version of Abbey Road. Maybe they'll actually get it right for you. :rolleyes:

maclen, 3rd Uncle Bob and Bingo Bongo like this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Why don't you throw in the white album and make it a triple album.... .....:D

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not that I would axe anything, but if I could get Beatles performed versions of Back Seat of My Car and All Things Must Pass, both of which had been composed, I would gladly shove I Want You off to POB to make room for them.

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The return of Dave Dexter!

Aftermath, notesfrom and EddieMann like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its perfect the way it is.

19. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

The Beatles aren't and never were the serious rock band some would like to pretend. Cutting to the chase, McCartney post revolver was responsible for the Beatles having such a wide fan base; many people like the aforementioned tracks; they like WI64, Martha, Your Mother should know etc and for purely musical reasons, they just like the melodies, the sentiments and, certainly for me, the sound of the young McCartney voice.

905 and pmc7070 like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The OP is right about Octopus and Maxwell which let the album down but a 19 minute album isn't a solution.
    Their last three albums were all hampered by lacklustre filler. They were like a headless chicken without Brian at the helm and that is reflected in their music.

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Too bad J&P didnt duet on Oh Darling. I think as is it's an ok song, wouldn't chuck it but not earth shattering either.

22. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

You've definitely improved side one, so many kudus for that...but side two is still very weak. How about making it an EP?

23. Is this some kimd of “Downsizing”joke?

[​IMG]

24. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

While we're at it, the Mona Lisa could really use a few little tweaks... :tiphat:

Paperback Writer likes this.
  25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Nah, all their albums had 'filler' (some of which many bands would kill to have). When you crank out that many albums in 6 years it's gonna happen...

Chance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.