Are there any great films that you'd never watch again because of how depressing/intense they are?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's really surprising. You know this makes you a radical outlier, right? Your post seems to imply it's weird for people to get emotionally invested in movies...

2. Oatsdad

Yeah, there's obviously an important story behind "Schindler's List".

I've always been very partial to "Sophie's Choice" in terms of movies that deal with the Holocaust - now that's an emotionally wrenching film!

The Hud likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

I thought the Scorsese "Fear" was too over the top and borderline campy to be disturbing. I also prefer the more understated original...

ohnothimagen likes this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I would agree.

Robert Mitchum wasn't often required to be scary but when he was, he could bring it.

De Niro hams it up by comparison.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Agree - at least based on my memories from 1991! I tried to rewatch the 1991 "CF" a while back but the Blu-ray I got from Netflix sputtered after about 20 minutes, so I didn't get very far.

Mitchum was great in the original. From my review:

"Mitchum gives Cady the oily charm, intelligence and charisma he needs for aspects of the tale but he delivers the threat and darkness required as well. Mitchum creates an antagonist with depth and cruelty who also feels wholly realistic – and that makes him even scarier. "

ohnothimagen and Mark E. Moon like this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Heartbreaking documentary. Your stomach gets sick as the film goes on, because you can just feel that something horrible happened.

7. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh sorry, must've missed your response. So what did you make of the ending of that film? What did the tortured girl whisper in the woman's ear that made her commit suicide?

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Have I just watched all the wrong Mitchum movies? Or missed a ton of ones where he's a nice guy and a true gentleman? Cause basically every movie I've seen him in he's incredibly intimidating. He was just that type of screen presence, even when his role wasn't necessarily truly scary.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I knew enough about Martyrs to make the choice not to see it a first time. Maybe the same case with others?

acemachine26 likes this.
  10. acemachine26

Has anyone had the misfortune of watching A Serbian Film (i.e. Srpski Film) yet? I would never watch it simply because of certain scenes of graphic violence that I've know are in the film (including pedophilia, necrophilia, rape and mutilation) but Im curious if anyone has.

Same goes for Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom. A WWII film about boys and girls being subjected to 120 days of physical, mental and sexual torture is not my cup of tea.

Neither of these films are considered "great" by any means but just wondering if anyone dared to venture into these kinds of sadistic films.

11. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

My wife is very susceptible to getting emotional watching movies - to the point that I won’t go with her to any film I think is going to be disturbing or super sad. Years ago, we went to see Hotel Rwanda and coming out, she was crying so hard her face turned deep red and she kept pulling her hand away when I tried to hold. I thought I was going to get a beat down in the lobby, as this mob of strangers were staring me down as if *I* had done that to her. They thought I’d just hit her...or at least done or said something awful. I was happy to get out of the parking lot.

She later said her friends back in the day wouldn’t let her watch Schindler’s List or Private Ryan for the same reason.

12. acemachine26

I guess so. The only reason I watched it was because I noticed quite a few really positive reviews on IMDB and my curiosity got the better of me. I still get creeped out just thinking about certain scenes. The only redeeming part of the film was that SPOILER in the end the victim got revenge on those horrible people blowing up their entire family one by one with a shotgun.

13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Seen it 12-15 times...Mickey Rourke's finest hour for sure.
    It fully justifies Frank Stallone's very brief film career.

14. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

It's been quite a while since I watched it. I'm not really sure what the ending meant, I thought maybe she was saying something about an "afterlife" and the other woman wanted to get there so topped herself.

acemachine26 likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I read the plot on wiki - that was bad enough. No, never want to see it.

acemachine26 likes this.
  16. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

American History X is one that I doubt I'll ever watch again...it's a hard movie to watch with a very tragic ending.
    One film that is a great film but very depressing is Gran Torino.

17. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

Such a beautiful film. I don't watch it often but I do watch it every now and again. So affecting.

Strat-Mangler and Jim B. like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

deer hunter

platoon

because vietnam just sucked.

and

pearl harbor

titanic

because the movies themselves just sucked.

That's Mr. Foghat, BrentB and GLENN like this.
  19. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

Yes on Kids. Something about that one. I just couldn't do it. Recently saw Gummo for the first time and have watched it a couple more. Still couldn't decide what I think but fascinating to me

20. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

I agree that film/art are a way for us to explore and deal with very difficult subjects that need to be examined, discussed and not forgotten. It's more than just entertainment. Though just entertainment is okay too.

Jim B. likes this.
  21. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

Like Night Of The Hunter.

Siegmund and Myke like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

A Serbian Film...wretched disgusting horrible dreck ....once seen can never forgetten...
    The Human Centipede...that's was it for us! F'n disgusting...

acemachine26 likes this.
  23. Michael

the rotting did it for me...

24. Michael

my wife and I felt the same way...
    another incredibly sad movie was ;The Boy In The Striped Pajamas...

25. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

China Town. I probably will watch it again actually because I do think it's very well done but it made me so, so angry. The injustice and helplessness. Lol, I hadn't felt so angry since seeing the end of Night Of The Living Dead for the first time.

acemachine26 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.